A fool and his money (fradulent headphone retailers)
Apr 4, 2012 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mishalex

Head-Fier
I feel like a complete fool right now, because I ordered what I suspected were a bootleg pair of Denon Ah-D7000 from a "China Wholesale" website.  Although the website looked somewhat legit, it still reaked of scam to me, mainly beecause of its ridiculously low prices $189.00 for the Denon Ah-D7000, and its lack of user feedback.  But, for some inexplicable reason, I said to myself, "sure, why not?  It could be hilarious to write a review on head-fi comparing some counterfeit Denons to the real thing (I have some D5000s)."  I figured the website was hogwash, but what I DIDN'T suspect is that they would just take my money and send me NOTHING!  I mean, I was at least expecting some counterfeit headphones!  Anyway, I suppose it was foolish of me, and I'm still trying to resolve the dispute with them, but considering their phone-number connects me to the Chinese equivalent of "your call cannot be completed as dialed," I'm not too hopeful.  Make sure you do NOT order from the following address:

http://www.buyofesay.com/

If it seems too good to be true, then you're almost certainly getting scammed, especially if they don't accept credit card payments.  I should have known better.

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 15
LOL.  Yeah.
angry_face.gif
  The worst part is, I got a reply from them that reads as follows:

We have delivered the project
The use of CHINAPOSTAIRMAIL delivery
No tracking number!

How convenient! In fact, between the time the item was listed as "processing" and "delivered," it would have been physically impossible for it to get from China to the United States!  It was NEVER listed as "sent."  Furthermore, even if there is no tracking number (it is hard, for example, to track packaged sent form the US to China), there should still DEFINITELY be a customs declaration number.  Damn scammers.  Anyway, hopefully no one else will be as foolhearty as I was.

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 15
Did you pay with a credit card?

Contact them (CC company) and reverse the charges, the goods never came - that alone is grounds for it.  If they did you could still do it because the goods are counterfeit.

EDIT:

Just saw the no credit card thing, ouch.  How did you pay?

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 15
Paypal.  I know.  I know.  Stupid, right?  But of course, I pay with paypal on e-bay and have never had a problem, but I usually deal with far more reputable individuals.  Oh well.  At least with Paypal, I'm fairly confidant they don't have my account number, so at least they can't get any more money from me.  Still, I really should have distrusted a company refusing to accept credit card transactions.  The problem is that in China, given their extremely strict credit laws, most wholesellers prefer Paypal/ Western Union.  In fact, it's really difficult to tell the scammers from the legit wholesellers in China, which is a problem in and of itself.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Paypal.  I know.  I know.  Stupid, right?  But of course, I pay with paypal on e-bay and have never had a problem, but I usually deal with far more reputable individuals.  Oh well.  At least with Paypal, I'm fairly confidant they don't have my account number, so at least they can't get any more money from me.  Still, I really should have distrusted a company refusing to accept credit card transactions.  The problem is that in China, given their extremely strict credit laws, most wholesellers prefer Paypal/ Western Union.  In fact, it's really difficult to tell the scammers from the legit wholesellers in China, which is a problem in and of itself.

Have you tried filing a Paypal dispute of any sort?  How long has been since the purchase?

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 15
Just a couple of days (part of the reason I know they couldn't have actually shipped anything out in that time; the item was never listed as shipped, but was just updated from "processing" to "delivered.")  I just issued a complaint with paypal...but I can feel the stalling tactics of this company coming now.  They are going to try to stall past the 20-day period in which I can legally dispute a claim, so I'm going to call paypal customer service.  There is no way they could profit selling the Denon Ah-D7000 for $189.00.  Best case scenario, they send me a cheap knockoff, and I have a laugh.  Worst-case scenario, I get nothing, and have to dispute further with them through Paypal.  Thanks everyone for your concern.  Just had to vent a bit, because I'm pissed at myself for being that dumb.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 15
You might still get the fake eventually though, it's probably either still in transit or stuck in customs.
Knowing these kinda sites, they probably used the cheapest shipping option available so it might take a while before it reaches you.
And the "delivered" part might just be poor English and they meant "shipped"

And yes it was a dumb idea to order from such a site.

May 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 15
thanks for sharing that, I found a few sites with some MAD cheap HE-500's ($200) ... I was supcious and didn't buy and now my supscion is confirmed... STAY AWAY xD

May 3, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 15
If it seems too good to be true..

May 3, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #14 of 15
I had the same feeling with Deal Extreme. They made it through but I felt like you the whole time...... never again.

Deal Extreme usually delivers the goods, but the goods are usually garbage. I don't think they're too veiled about this though. At least if we're thinking of the same site.

This other scam site has gone by a whole lot of different names over the last year - and it crops up fairly often. I fully suspected what you expected to experience - very bad cheap knock-offs. Sure, I know there's "thank you for paying us please pay again" places all over, but I figured they'd at least send you some cheap knock-offs (given how rampantly counterfeits exist). Ah well, someone had to go off and try it, and at least you got a refund out of the ordeal.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
Then it must be true :)

Got these:
HFI 580 new for $118 total
Slightly used AKG Q701 for $78
New Sony XB500 for $5
New Logitech Z623 for $88....the month they came out

Lucky Lucky, there are some risky XB 1000 sellers out there still... I might take the chance If I had money to tie up in all that mess. The benifits of Pay-Pal is you can take up claims with em, in addition mah Bank can Deny an Revoke charges although there's a lot of red tape around that

needless to say I'll stick with B&H Video! Cheap and fast USPS shipping <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back