A few questions to start with headphones...
Feb 23, 2010 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

mrs1986

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone at Head-fi! My name is Mauricio and i'm from Uruguay in south america.
As you see, this is my first post and i must tell you that i've many questions :p

Well...Lets start from the most important, you may not understand what i mean, since the english is not my first language and for that is a litlle poor, so you'll see many words that you should read as they sound :p...

Ok... Now this are my queries...
I'm using an iPhone 3Gs as my portable device, this is my only "mp3" player, since i don't have any super hi-fi equipment at my home. I start reading the forum as a google search for the skullcandy headphones, but i could see that they only are like "custom" thing that sounds awful, thats almost what i could take apart of all that i read, well in that reserach i could get the name "Grado" and the specific "Sr60" as a very good step to the head-fi world.

Now i would like to know if they should sound nice with my iPhone or it just don't diserve tha kind of headphones???

Another one, is if i can get a Fiio E3 for about 7 dollars, it should get better the sound on my headphones plugged at my iPhone? Or it just is like a "placebo" effect and don't take any substantial effect in the real sound?
And the "bowl" pads should make a substantial difference in the sound of the headphones?

I need to know to if this things are ok to buy, i may have 120~135 to spend in headphones and in an amp if you think its necesary...

Ok and this is the last one until anyone answer :p
What of the sponsors or not sponsor would you recomend me, cause i need that the shippment to be really fast, a friend of mine should be at miami in a few days and this must to be send to the Hotel he is while he is there
wink.gif
he would be there for about nine days, thats it, thanks a lot to everyone!

Mauricio

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 37
The Grado SR60 that you mention indeed does have some good sound, and can be driven well enough from your iPhone. The Fiio pocket amplifiers are also great value for money, and will help give that extra boost in sound quality, especially the bass. BUT (and that's a big but) the SR60 may not be the right headphone for you.
I'm sure the other members can help you choose a good headphone if you can provide your preferences. That said, what are your preferences in music? Rock, jazz, classical, etc.? Do you prefer headphones that are just on top of your ears (supra-aural), or around them (circumaural)? Do you want isolation, or are you okay with sound leaking in and out of the headphones? Also, will you be planning to use these outside, or only inside?
Good luck with the headphones hunt
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 37
Hello Mauricio!... Hola
smily_headphones1.gif

About your questions: Grado SR60 (some say SR80 are a better sound quality per dollar) are nice headphones that can be driven properly with your iphone. Not 100% sure if you will need an adapter (connector), but true your iphone is powerful enough to drive them.

They are open headphones so they will leak noise. If you want to use them on the street you should also consider other alternatives (closed cans or IEMs)

About the amp: I don't think you need a Fiio. The only extra that the Fiio will give you is a bass boost mode, but if I was you I would listen music for a few days without an amp and later I would decide if I want that extra bass. I have a Fiio and I don't use it (I prefer to keep it simple when I go for a walk).

About your budget: If this is your first buy I wouldn't spend a lot of money. Maybe a good idea is first buy to know what you like, and later spend more money in things you know you will like. I.e.: My "first" pair of headphones were too bassy for me, but they were cheap an I earned the experience.

Last one: Don't worry about the pads for now. Don't spend money on them, you still don't know if you like Grado sound. Anyway you can always buy them later.

Hope it was helpful.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 37
I really thank you the answer, the headphones will be used like all the time, as portable at home at travels, everywere, i listen like all kind of music exept for classic that cause i dont know, in certain words, i just never give it a try...

The sound leak? Is not too important, i just dont listen to high exept when im in a bus...

Take note that im using a pair of Phillips She 9500 :p anything better???

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Mauricio!... Hola
smily_headphones1.gif

About your questions: Grado SR60 (some say SR80 are a better sound quality per dollar) are nice headphones that can be driven properly with your iphone. Not 100% sure if you will need an adapter (connector), but true your iphone is powerful enough to drive them.

They are open headphones so they will leak noise. If you want to use them on the street you should also consider other alternatives (closed cans or IEMs)

About the amp: I don't think you need a Fiio. The only extra that the Fiio will give you is a bass boost mode, but if I was you I would listen music for a few days without an amp and later I would decide if I want that extra bass. I have a Fiio and I don't use it (I prefer to keep it simple when I go for a walk).

About your budget: If this is your first buy I wouldn't spend a lot of money. Maybe a good idea is first buy to know what you like, and later spend more money in things you know you will like. I.e.: My "first" pair of headphones were too bassy for me, but they were cheap an I earned the experience.

Last one: Don't worry about the pads for now. Don't spend money on them, you still don't know if you like Grado sound. Anyway you can always buy them later.

Hope it was helpful.

Of course you are helpful, im asking cause im afraid of not apreciate the quality of the sound, i dont know really, i just need better sound that now but i dont understand it very much by now, i just hope it to be growing up while i listen to the music :p

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 37
Hey, personally I'd recommend the Fiio 5 (above the Fiio 3) as this should be improve sound and still come in cheap.

Grado SR60 is a great headphone. With either that or the SR80 you really can't go far wrong.

Just as an additional suggestion, I'd go as far as recommending the SoundMagic PL30 IE headphone for outdoor use. They are discrete and are just superb quality for the price.

I'd listen to the Grados at home and PL's on the bus.

Carlos.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 37
Thanks Carlos! I may not spend money in two pair of cans headphones or iem's, i want to spend only once for now, you think its to much noise leaking inside the grados? What else would you recomend not in ear, headphones like that ones big, that would do a better job with a good quality? Some shure? There are ones that are cheap or some sennheiser, the problem is the money, and i want them to sound good as i read about the grados sound so... Please iluminate me :p

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 37
Don't bother with the Fiio, waste of money IMO. I had it, it added extra bass and bloated the sound overall. Don't bother with an amp unless it is a decent one, usually over $100. If you are planning on using them on the street, you are better off with IEMs. Grado SR-80i will be great for home use though as a first pair of cans. What genre's do you listen to? How long at one time will you be wearing the headphones?

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 37
Hi stang! Look there are some days that i not even listening to music for low time, but some other days i listen for about 6 hour with no stop so, its ramdom, genres, don know, i like metallica, guns, aerosmith, evanescence, "los redonditos de ricota" (argentinian rock), i also listen to Joaquin Sabina (spanish solo), and then i dont know what else, limp biskit, blink 182 :p sum 41, and almost everything i can reach...

Someone can tell what is te lossles? And how can i get this? Note that i don have itunes store in my country, so, i must download it from diferent sites
frown.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 37
Err another one for the 'stuff the Fiio'.

Lossless. With mp3, data is lost so to speak. Do you need lossless files? Up to you. I have a hard time telling a 320kbps mp3 from flac on my system.

Grados are a great place to start - great sound for your hard earned cash.

ALSO, this is Head-Fi but be careful with recommendations and suggestions you receive. People hear things differently, have different sonic preferences, have different gear and listen to different genres of music so what someone suggests is 'AWESOMEEEEE' might not be so good to you.

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 37
Thanks for the advice momiji i think you are right! So, i should only go for those grados and try them, i think i wont be dissapointed, as i said, im using a pair of phillips she9500 :p

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs1986 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, i should only go for those grados and try them, i think i wont be dissapointed,

Yeah Grados are the headphones for any body who is starting with the headphone business I assume.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #13 of 37
So if i go for the grados? Would i go directly for the sr80i or just the sr60i?

Btw seeing a topic called you portable rig or something like that y saw some audiotechnica headphones, they are too expensive?? And are they better than the sr's?

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 37
Hi, Mauricio, I'm from Uruguay too, and I can tell you, this place is the right place if you want good advices. The big problem for me is that is very difficult to buy something, since we have to buy abroad, and then the import taxes are too high, but, using some magic and Miami-box, recently I could buy the AudioTechnica ATH AD700 (actually I bought them used from a Head-fi member) and they are a great entry-level headphones, but they are open, and I don't recommend you this phones for commuting, the sound leakage is too big, you won’t have any isolation at all.
If there is anything I can help you, you can send me a PM in Spanish.

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #15 of 37
Hi zantoz!
You are totally right, its almost imposible to me buy anything at uruguay, thats why ill buy from here to be shiped to miami.

In that thing, anyone tell me wich of the sponsors or not sponsor are the fastest, couse i have a limited time to get this delivered, if this time pass out, my order will just make happy some people in a hotel room and not me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back