A few questions for those who own(ed) both Westone 4 & ES5.
Apr 22, 2011 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jamesta

Head-Fier
I'm coming close to a decision about selling my Westone 4 and ordering a set of ES5.  I have an appointment Monday to get impressions but can't decide between UM56 tips or selling the 4s and getting the ES5.  My questions are regarding the sound signature and 'bang for your buck' return.  I run the 4s through my iPhone 4 or Macbook & a RSA Shadow.

1. How does the soundstage compare between the 4 and ES5?  I'm specifically interested in airiness, depth & width.  I really don't have much to complain about with the 4s, but wouldn't mind a bit more distance between me and the band and a proportional reduction in the width.  I enjoy separation very much as my main genres are Jazz (Bebop such as Coltrane, Mingus, Monk, Brubeck, Getz), string quartets & indie singer/songwriter types such as Vampire Weekend & newer Ben Folds.

2. How does soundstage change with custom tips such as UM56 from triple flange silicone?  The triple-flanges are the only tips I really like so far, I've tried Comply, Shure and all the tips included with the 4s originally.

3. I enjoy the treble in the 4s but wouldn't mind a bit more air and presence, but not necessarily more forward if that makes any sense?  I find the RE0 a bit too tinny... I guess I'm looking for silky but very present.  If you've heard Focal's silk dome tweeters that is the sound I'm after.

4.  Any other significant differences in the 4 and ES5 sound?

5. How significantly will custom tips like UM56 change the mids?  The 4 are perfect, a slight bit less thick and more present would be ok but I don't want them nearly as forward as the UM3X were.

I guess what I'm looking for is that extra sparkle, air & shimmer in bass, mids and highs.  I'm just trying to figure out if dropping another $550-600 on top of what I'll get for the 4s if I sell them is going to net me a good return.  I do think that the $380 on the RSA Shadow was well spent and the extra air, depth, detail and bass extension is definitely worth it to me.

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 3
i suggest you give the westone 3 a try instead. or sell your w4 and get 1964-Q :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back