A Durability Warning: FA-003/HM5/Premium Hi-Fi
Apr 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ssrock64

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello, Head-Fi. Good evening.

I would like to address some reviews of the Fischer Audio FA-003, Brainwavz HM5, and LINDY Premium Hi-Fi, which overall do not overstate. They're great headphones at their price point, and are competitive at nearly twice their price. Those reviews and numerous recommendations have led many, many Head-Fi'ers to buy these Yoga-OEM headphones, and a vast majority of them have been very satisfied with that purchase.

However, I come to you tonight with my one major concern with the FA-003, a headphone that I otherwise adore (for its price, that is).  I don't really use it much, as my main home rig phones are my T5p, PS1000, and HD600 and my portables are my S4i and T50p. It seems that even with the light use of my FA-003, some durablity issues have arisen.

All of the durability issues stem from problems with the headband and the fitting of the earcups. The first I noticed, from the moment I bought the headphone, was that the handband metal is loosely fit inside the earcup, letting it wiggle around a bit. I thought little of it, as the earcup fitting is shaped specifically for it to have that wiggle room. However, over time this wiggling has grown larger from simple use, and the headband metal can now move a small fraction of an inch in any direction I wish to move it, whereas it only moved side to side before. This may eventually lead to a break in the headphone.

The second issue, and one that has less impact on the physical state of the 'phone but is much more annoying, is that the right side of the headband has become displaced from its factory position. When the headband is extended the right side no longer clicks into place, just sliding around instead. Every few days this connection becomes looser, and though the design of the headband keeps the metal and attached earcup from falling out of the cloth headband covering, it may eventually become completely free to slide around wherever gravity so chooses.

This is to be expected from Yoga and doesn't really come as a huge surprise, but the fact that the FA-003/HM5/Premium Hi-Fi was touted for durability in some reviews is concerning and misleading.

TL;DR The FA-003/HM5/Premium Hi-Fi is not as durable as some reviews claim, with many issues cropping up even from minimal use. If you're looking for durability, look elsewhere.

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 9
I'm just going to put this up here on more time, to see if anyone has had similar experiences and would like to corroborate.

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Hello, Head-Fi. Good evening.

I would like to address some reviews of the Fischer Audio FA-003, Brainwavz HM5, and LINDY Premium Hi-Fi, which overall do not overstate. They're great headphones at their price point, and are competitive at nearly twice their price. Those reviews and numerous recommendations have led many, many Head-Fi'ers to buy these Yoga-OEM headphones, and a vast majority of them have been very satisfied with that purchase.

However, I come to you tonight with my one major concern with the FA-003, a headphone that I otherwise adore (for its price, that is).  I don't really use it much, as my main home rig phones are my T5p, PS1000, and HD600 and my portables are my S4i and T50p. It seems that even with the light use of my FA-003, some durablity issues have arisen.

All of the durability issues stem from problems with the headband and the fitting of the earcups. The first I noticed, from the moment I bought the headphone, was that the handband metal is loosely fit inside the earcup, letting it wiggle around a bit. I thought little of it, as the earcup fitting is shaped specifically for it to have that wiggle room. However, over time this wiggling has grown larger from simple use, and the headband metal can now move a small fraction of an inch in any direction I wish to move it, whereas it only moved side to side before. This may eventually lead to a break in the headphone.

The second issue, and one that has less impact on the physical state of the 'phone but is much more annoying, is that the right side of the headband has become displaced from its factory position. When the headband is extended the right side no longer clicks into place, just sliding around instead. Every few days this connection becomes looser, and though the design of the headband keeps the metal and attached earcup from falling out of the cloth headband covering, it may eventually become completely free to slide around wherever gravity so chooses.

This is to be expected from Yoga and doesn't really come as a huge surprise, but the fact that the FA-003/HM5/Premium Hi-Fi was touted for durability in some reviews is concerning and misleading.

TL;DR The FA-003/HM5/Premium Hi-Fi is not as durable as some reviews claim, with many issues cropping up even from minimal use. If you're looking for durability, look elsewhere.

I don't have a comment regarding the durability.  However, I did note your quote on them being a headphone that could hang with others that are 2x the price.  I think at $139.00, the HM5 are being sold at a realistic price for what they are.  I don't think that they're worth much more than that, and when it came to sound, I could think of some sub-$100 headphones that I'd rather have instead.

Best of luck on the durability issues, though.

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 9
I was thinking on the fa003 as my next headphone, but im concerned about this. Will wait for more users to chime in 

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 9
ssrock64: I see why you might be concerned actually. I haven't had any problems with mine, but I notice that the whole headband is really stiff and rigid (this is where the high clamp force comes from). Sometimes when I'm stretching it out to fit it onto my head, it feels like it may snap in half or something due to this inflexibility. Don't know if that's a real concern or just me being paranoid though. One time when I was putting them on the right cup did snap out of the little plastic hinge that holds it in place. It just snapped back in though. The metal pieces on mine don't really wiggle around. I've used these portablely (put inside a messenger bag), and for monitoring/mixing at a studio.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 9
Yeah, they do clamp quite a lot. Without the comfy pads that they have, I would have trouble wearing my FA-003 for long sessions.

I haven't yet had the earcup pop out of the hinge yet, but I can see it happening.

May 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 9
Are a lot of FA-003/HM5 owners having durability issues?

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 9
I may have a faulty unit, but the looseness at least seems to be a problem on a friend's FA-003 and HM5 (he owns both, being kind of an FOTM addict).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back