A DIY electrostatic amp for intermediate DIYers?
Sep 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #573 of 593
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, just a bit too early. Hang on please.

Hanging on, but losing my grip (on sanity)...actually contemplating the purchase of some stats. This can't be a good path for my wallet.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #574 of 593
I didnt know you did any DIY HPA thats cool! This is exciting for me, If there becomes a b22eque stat diy I will finally jump into some stax magix
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #575 of 593
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didnt know you did any DIY HPA thats cool! This is exciting for me, If there becomes a b22eque stat diy I will finally jump into some stax magix
biggrin.gif

Ummm, don't know if you were alluding to this being runeight's first stat headphone amp, but, he has a pretty complete track record in dynamic hpa.

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #576 of 593
HPA = headphoneaddict

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #577 of 593
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Quote:

HPA = headphoneaddict

I don't DIY, so I will need to find someone to help me build this one if wiatrob's prototype performs well. We'll be able to test my SR-003, SR-007, HE60 and Jade with it (sold the Lambda Sig and ESP950).

I just want something with a little more voltage swing and current for the O2 than the GES, and so I wait to see what the specs will be on the re-designed Stat amp. I'm basically giving up on getting my KGBH boards built into an amp as a spare to go along with my GES. If I can't get all the parts then I'm stuck with a partial build, and I can't commit to that if it wont be complete. I just don't have the knowledge to source all the parts.

I have one other person who "might" build a KGBH for me along side of his, but he wont need my PCB to do it with perf-board. He is still researching the build. So, I have to wait and see.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #578 of 593
oh ok cool beans. why not have Justin build you a BH SE? Of all the stats you have which would you pick as best all arounder? 007? and is it mk1 or mk2?

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #579 of 593
To clarify - the design goal of this amp (per EricJ) is not to be a world beater - but to provide an affordable DIY alternative to the commercial Stax products while providing good performance.

I wouldn't be surprised if the redesign meets or exceeds these goals.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #583 of 593
I have suggested the Poor Mans Stat Amp get it's own thread, but, it will have to be in DIY, as it is a DIY build. Once folks hear one at some form of meet, then maybe it would get posted in the amps section.

Mine (two flavors) will debut at a meet in Houston on Oct 18th. Maybe I can get the BH patched by then, and have Vulcan operational, where we can also throw a maxxed KGSS into the mix as well. Then all will really know how it stacks up in the stat world.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #584 of 593
Still really curious what comes out of this...
o2smile.gif

I would need a nice inexpensive amplifier, to make a bedroom rig out of the SR-404.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #585 of 593
Quote:

oh ok cool beans. why not have Justin build you a BH SE? Of all the stats you have which would you pick as best all arounder? 007? and is it mk1 or mk2?

I can't spend $5000 on an amp when I have two teenagers needing $10,000 total in braces at the orthodontist right now, two cracked teeth of my own with bone loss that will cost $7000 to fix, and a 16 yr old who needs a car if I want to stop driving three kids to school and back myself while my disability takes away all my energy.

My Jade have been getting the most ear time for stats since they are easier to drive with my Woo GES. The O2 Mk1 are a nice low volume headphone with more depth (but not width) but I get more of a dynamic headphone punch with the Jade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back