A DIY electrostatic amp for intermediate DIYers?
Sep 12, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #556 of 593
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If we have success things will get posted.
smily_headphones1.gif

Finally got around to subscribing to this thread. I don't mind simpler, it means less things can go wrong.
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #559 of 593
We are sneaking up on it. We have one successful build of a new design. Want to have at least two more with listening tests before posting.

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #560 of 593
Quote:

We are sneaking up on it. We have one successful build of a new design. Want to have at least two more with listening tests before posting.

Can I ask which schematic you eventually decided to keep ? Really nice project !

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #565 of 593
Honestly..the ESP950 is the best bargain out there right now..I am listening to it with my Stax amp and I can't think of anything that is lacking in this system.

Am curious to see how much better this new DIY amp is going to be..

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #566 of 593
I like the "simpler and better" concept. The original was getting a little out of hand for an intermediate diy project. I haven't built a solid state amp for over 20 years, (lots of tube ones though) but I'm looking forward to building this one. Appreciate all the work!

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #567 of 593
Yes, the earlier design was done on-the-fly. A little more reflection found a better way.

One of the downsides to designing in public is that everyone can see things that are marginal. If you just do it on your workbench you can chuck a bad design and no one knows.
wink.gif

But I've always liked the forums for the very reason that people can see the design process. I think that's just as useful as talking about the amps and builds.
smily_headphones1.gif

We just need two more builds to come up cleanly. One already has with no problems.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #569 of 593
Quote:

We just need two more builds to come up cleanly. One already has with no problems.

Two power supplies and one amp are up, actually.
smile.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #570 of 593
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
exciting times - i am expecting the prices of esp950 to rocket on the second hand market ..dB

Then we can buy new ones without feeling ripped-off!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back