A decent closed beater for around $40 (used?)?
May 14, 2008 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

santiclaws

100+ Head-Fier
I need a reasonably comfortable closed can for listening to music while running errands. These are going to be used very occasionally, outside, for non-critical listening. I've kinda been keeping an eye on the FS forum here, but don't really know what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

May 14, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 9
This one is a bit under your price range, but the Panasonic RP-HTX7s make a great throw around beater, imo, and there was someone selling them used for like $25.00 a while back. They can still be had new under your price range though. Might be something to consider.

May 14, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 9
There are some rp21s on the 4sale boards now asking $60.

May 14, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 9
One other thing, I'd prefer to get something fairly portable, rather than full-sized. I'm just going to keep them in the car most likely.

May 14, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 9
porta pro's ?

May 14, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 9
Another vote for RP-HTX7. I think I've seen them new at Fry's for around $40. Very nice for your purpose - closed, comfortable, quite decent sounding, cord is short enough for portable use, and has single-sided cord.

I use mine as a "cordless" headphone around the house, with an iPod Shuffle clipped to it and the cord wrapped around to make it tidy.

May 14, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for RP-HTX7. I think I've seen them new at Fry's for around $40. Very nice for your purpose - closed, comfortable, quite decent sounding, cord is short enough for portable use, and has single-sided cord.

I use mine as a "cordless" headphone around the house, with an iPod Shuffle clipped to it and the cord wrapped around to make it tidy.

I've been thinking about them, but I'm not too wild about the looks (I'm getting retro myself, I don't need retro phones too), and from the photos they look full-sizish. I beginning to think the ATH-SJ5 look to be a good pick. Thoughts?

May 14, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by santiclaws /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking about them, but I'm not too wild about the looks (I'm getting retro myself, I don't need retro phones too), and from the photos they look full-sizish. I beginning to think the ATH-SJ5 look to be a good pick. Thoughts?

The panasonic aren't all that big, but if the looks don't appeal, the SJ5 isn't a bad choice at that price, or maybe a Philips HP460.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back