A Couple Questions About Vinyl Maintence.
Jun 5, 2007 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

terance

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been listening to vinyl for about a week now, and am loving every minute of it.

My only concerns are cleaning my stylus, and the amount of static that I feel when I take a record off of the platter.

I clean my records often, so I don't think that is the problem, and my ground seems to be fastened correctly so I think that it out of the question.

Thanks Vinyl Junkies,
Matt

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 16
Two suggestions:

1. Get a Onzow Zerodust to clean the stylus.

2. Get a Milty Zerostat to eliminate static build up.

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 16
You can *carefully* try the magic eraser bit on your stylus, but I know of no other way to zap static.

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 16
While we're on the Zerostat subject, could someone maybe tell me something? I just got one.

1. I don't really feel any charge of any kind when I depress the trigger. I was told it was strong enough that it would fry a hard drive if you pointed it at one. Is my Zerostat working properly? I'd say probably yes since I put the little charge indicator on the end and it makes it glow as it says it should.
2. Can you zap your records while they're actually on your 'table, or do you risk damaging your cartridge by doing it too close to it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While we're on the Zerostat subject, could someone maybe tell me something? I just got one.

1. I don't really feel any charge of any kind when I depress the trigger. I was told it was strong enough that it would fry a hard drive if you pointed it at one. Is my Zerostat working properly? I'd say probably yes since I put the little charge indicator on the end and it makes it glow as it says it should.
2. Can you zap your records while they're actually on your 'table, or do you risk damaging your cartridge by doing it too close to it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

It usually makes a click or 2 when you squeeze the trigger, but it might not. I zap records while on the turntable all the time, it's no problem, but do have the volume down on the preamp.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 16
If the tip is anywhere within 1/8" of your body, you will get a very big jolt from it. Much worse than the typical static electricity discharge.

Try it and see. It won't harm you, but you will definitely know if it's working!

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 16
The Milty Zerostat comes with a tip that sparks (IIRC) when you attach it and pull the trigger fully. It is not meant to be used always, but just as a test to make sure functional.

That said, static builds up and certainly pops when you flip the record sometimes. Doesn't bug me that much, but it can be minimized.

Jun 10, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 16
Thanks much for the responses guys. I guess I'll try zapping myself at some point, but since the tester tip thing works I think I'm OK.

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

1. I don't really feel any charge of any kind when I depress the trigger.

I've gone through several anti-static guns over the years and find they conk out fairly easily. Remember to sqeeze and release the trigger slowly.

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 16
I've heard having some big houseplants near your vinyl set-up greatly reduced static...any truth to this?

Also, I noticed while cleaning records that if I'm barefoot, there's much less static on the records, as opposed to the one time I wore a particularly staticky pair of shoes and was incapable of keeping my cat's hair from sticking to each and every record(!).

Random thoughts...

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #15 of 16
Houseplants raise the humidity, which helps dissipate static. Being barefoot makes you a better conductor, so if you use a carbon-bristle brush the static will drain through you to the floor. When I lived in Colorado static was a big problem due to dry air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back