A couple question's about the Phonak Perfect Bass. Also searching for next iem.
Mar 10, 2011 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jankydude

New Head-Fier
Wassup guys. Long time lurker (almost 2 years) looking to spend some money. So far the journey has entailed SA6 (great sq, horrendously bad build quality, after 3 cable broke and then the drivers I decided to not send them in for repair), Eterna V2 (broke), TD-100 II (my loaner pair, my friend is borrowing it), and now the HJE-900's (up there with the SA6 in sq, but a million times better build quality). I'm actually looking for a beater pair I could use at the gym. Since this isn't my first go at iem's I can pretty much describe exactly what I'm looking.

So after doing some research I think I want to settle on the Phonak PFB's because I've been wanting to get back to Balanced Armature because when I listen critically to the 900's I find myself wishing for more speed (which is crazy because the 900's are fast for a dynamic). Of course I also like having impact (I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a closet basshead) so the 022 model looks fine and comes at a great price plus I can upgrade to the other filters whenever I choose. Add that to the fact that it is designed to be over the ear which is great for exercising and I think it could be a great match. However, amid the majority of glowing reviews I found a comment that said the PFB's sound thin. Is this true? My TD-100's have thin treble and I can't stand it. I immediately subjugated the TD's to rap and hip hop only to cover their flaws (they really sounded great for that, but they were honestly terrible for rock).

Aside from that I don't ask for too much from the treble in an IEM. Obviously more extension is great but not completely necessary and at the very least I need the treble to be fairly detailed (which the TD's werent, while the Eterna's were). Aside from that the treble can be presented in just about any way. I can handle aggressive but I seem to have convinced myself I'm going for a smooth presentation (I miss that about the SA6).

Mids are probably the most important part of the equation for me (once again imparted from the SA6). Mids have to sound good. I know in ClieOS' review of the PFB that he called the mids sweet so that's comforting but that thin comment has me scared.  I dont care if their a tad recessed like the 900's (like a lot of people, I think it makes em sound natural) but not super forward like the TD's (poor TD's keep getting bashed, but honestly I could use them for rap all day long as they were really smooth). So once again do the PFB's do the mids justice? Are they thin?

Other than the PFB's I'm looking at the MTPG as I heard it is extremely smooth and technically proficient but the fact that it is dynamic worries me that it could be a tad slow on the decay. Are there any other armature headphones with a decent amount of bass. I'm looking at $100-150 (I can get the MTPG for cheap on ebay because I know how to spot fakes, plus I refuse to buy em without a return policy).

Wow. That was long. I know that I'm asking quite of a bit to find an iem while at the same time limiting the price range to $150 but I really believe you guys can help me. Thanks in advance!

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 4
I have a Phonak Perfect Bass (Only used once. Like New) Everything it came with included for sale if you're interested. Comes with 4 extra sets of green filters. Please email me or leave message at Starsky5000@Yahoo.com

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 4

I had the PFE perfect bass, but I send it back and end up with some HF2.

The sound was OK but they were very hard to drive, with my iPhone4 or iPod 5.5 ! (Something that I didn’t saw in the many review that I read)

My guess is that the new filter is blocking so much of the mids and high to bump the bass, that you end up with very low volume.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 4
Yeah...they are tough to drive with just an MP3 player.  My Zune HD is virtually maxed out as far as volume goes to push the things.  I LOVE the way they sound tho...I just wish they were easier to drive because I use them at the gym, unamped.  They are ridiculously comfortable and the cord is good...I just hate turning my device ALL the way up to get some volume on the things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back