A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Aug 3, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #842 of 856
I own the HD-25 IIs, DT1350s, Amperiors, AD900, M50s and the Vmoda M80s. The M50xs bests them all in my honest opinion. By a long shot. The M50xs are simply the best sounding phones I've owned so far. And the matte gray version is sexy as heck to boot.

Aug 3, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #845 of 856
  It's a solid headphone, but personally, I preferred the ATH M40X.  Lighter, and more balanced / fun sound.  IMHO

Yup, I preferred the M40x and even M30x over the M50x, mainly due to the latter's overwhelming bass that can make things sound muddy sometimes. If I had equalized them all, I wouldn't be surprised if the M50x won.

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #847 of 856
  I have not read every post and thread here, but quickly, is there a difference in sound ATH M50 vs M50X?

For the most part, no. The M50X is an updated model of the M50 with removable cables, other cosmetic modifications, and slight changes in tuning, but overall it sounds the same as the classic model.

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #850 of 856
  I have not read every post and thread here, but quickly, is there a difference in sound ATH M50 vs M50X?

I own both and I can confirm that they sound very different from each other; the M50X is an upgrade in every way in my honest opinion. Then again, maybe my original M50s are fake and that may account for the sound quality difference I'm hearing.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #852 of 856
I own the HD-25 IIs, DT1350s, Amperiors, AD900, M50s and the Vmoda M80s. The M50xs bests them all in my honest opinion. By a long shot. The M50xs are simply the best sounding phones I've owned so far. And the matte gray version is sexy as heck to boot.

Portables versus an open-back versus M50.  Bloody brilliant comparison.

Now go try SRH840, HD380pro, DT770pro, K553, and the M-Audio HDH50/Akai MPC/Denon HP2000.  All within the same price bracket, and fellow (edit: full-sized) closed-backs.
M50x gets wrecked by them all.

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #853 of 856
go try SRH840, HD380pro, DT770pro, K553, and the M-Audio HDH50/Akai MPC/Denon HP2000.  All within the same price bracket, and fellow (edit: full-sized) closed-backs.
M50x gets wrecked by them all.

welp, I tried srh840 and they sound just like m50's with slight improvement on the clarity of highs. but they a very uncomfortaple to wear, and they break easily. (m50's are not hard to break too, tho)
and I tried DT770 (32ohm, because it is fair comparison) and their highs are toothshatteringly overwhelming. they have huuge peak at 10khz (or somewhere else high, i don't really care what graphs say) which cuts my ears and splits my head in half. i can't understand how people can promote them as a replacement for m50 (or how can they even pay their own money for this sadistic product. they are just painfull to listen. but i understand, it's taste thing).

also I tried:
V-moda crossfire LP which sounds like an ass. a lot of bass, and very stupid bulky bass.
V-moda crossfire M-100 which sounds pretty but has very hard V-shaped feeling to it.
AKG K550 MKII same bass ass as LP
Koss Pro4s has weirdly pleasing sound with good detail on highs (in some cases better than m50's), but a bit poor on a bass side.
Ultrasone 880 sounds like M-100. a bit more polite but still a bit v-shaped and on a bass side
Sony MDR-1a just an ass
Sony MDR-7520 have very weird unnatural and cheap sounding highs. like every cymbal is recorded in mp3 and then played along with other musicians.
Yamaha HPH-MT220 sounds cool, and weirdly cool, because very different from coolness of m50's, although i don't know how to describe it. like it is more strict and electric (yeah, every epithet sounds stupid). their highs are a bit on a harsh side, but not even close to be as painfull as beyer's.
all of them i listened with Fiio X1 and a bunch of flacs by Soen, Meshuggah and Wild Cherry

What should i try next, sensei? I'm on  a quest to find a pair of closed-back over-ear headphones that sound like m50 (or better) in a twice as m50x pricerange but more durable than them. (because they have idiotic design of earcup hinges and break apart very easily)

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #854 of 856
Oh, man, I'm using my M50 while playing hardcore free-for-all in Black Ops 3. And man, these cans are fantastic for gaming! I'm hardly missing the AD900x. Sound positioning/directionality is spot-on, except for when sounds come from directly behind. I won 4 or 5 matches in a row, thanks to these awesome cans.

Hey, paraphn, you should try the ATH-MSR7, if you can. I've heard good things about it. I enjoyed reading your thoughts and opinions about the M50, by the way!

Nov 25, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #855 of 856
i tried MSR7, and they shat their bed on highs. (some cymbals sound just painful)
i also tried Oppo PM-3 as you suggested in pm and was not blown away by sheer awesomeness of the sound (and did not liked it either, to be honest). Roland RH-300 are much much cleaner (although they sound boring and analytic but dayumn those highs are cleanest) for less than a half of Oppo's price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back