A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Jun 7, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #826 of 856
man oh boy. let me tell you i just ordered about 5 cans this month.
ath500mk2, ws99, ws55, ath700mk2, gemini hrs1000 and seriously the gemini is the best only for $44 currently on amazon.
i adore your statement. no can is perfect we can find tens of can in given price range.

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #827 of 856
Originally Posted by schicago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man oh boy. let me tell you i just ordered about 5 cans this month. ath500mk2, ws99, ws55, ath700mk2, gemini hrs1000 and seriously the gemini is the best only for $44 currently on amazon.

Sheesh, the HSR-1000 must be really good to be better than so many other cans. And at $44, it's quite cheap. I wonder if it's going to be the next king. ..I'm actually tempted to get it!
So what specifically makes it better than the M50? Is it more tonally accurate, does it isolate more, does it have a better soundstage, etc?
PS: Are you Sean on Amazon? I think I see your review X3.

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #828 of 856
  Sheesh, the HSR-1000 must be really good to be better than so many other cans. And at $44, it's quite cheap. I wonder if it's going to be the next king. ..I'm actually tempted to get it!
So what specifically makes it better than the M50? Is it more tonally accurate, does it isolate more, does it have a better soundstage, etc?
PS: Are you Sean on Amazon? I think I see your review X3.

These cans are also known as the Takstar Pro 80 - rebadged and a little more expensive. Otherwise identical.

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #829 of 856
hell no and its not the king but since cheap oem chineese makers jumped into market where they can sell their cans directly. now as a result big makers like shure, audio technica and beyerdynamic etc will have to face hard time in future and i believe they are currently facing a hard time because there are more and more people on internet researching  through these forums and talking with different people who already have these cans.there are now more ethan ever cheap oem companies maing affordable cans for students like me.
while ago when i bought my first grado sr60i i was like wow man and those cans are amazing but later i kept spending  more and more time on head fi and other forums and i bought alot of cans from best buy and hhgreg , amazon and ebay which i used but later returned. later i came to a conclusion that there are a lot of cans than the others and yet they are not perfect but im proud to say we can always defeat the previous headphone price to performance ratio while staying under the budget.
one evening i think 2 years back i was using grado sr60i, as i tried to connect my ksc75 drivers with portapro headband, i could not believe that the result was almost like the grado sr60i with not much difference.
in near future we will see more and more good cans while price will continue to drop

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #830 of 856
i bought athm40x and m50x same time.
to me m40x was balance but m50x was bloated and not enough punch in bass sharp highs and recessed mids no mid bass at all.
i compared gemini hrs1000 with those m50x and gemini mids are forward yet with sharp articulated highs and lowest baaasse extensionss.
the gemini bass hits lower  and it has more sub bass and i dont have to use headphone amp with gemini. with my clip they are doing well
takstar pro80 and gemini are same but i fear they price will go up in future.

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #833 of 856
schicago definately has a point comparing ath-m50 to pr80/gemini. I have not compared my takstars to m50's directly so I won't go into detail. Both have quite V-shape signature but m50's is more on the v-sound signature. Both are great headphones and well worth recommendations. If price is factored in it is obvious Takstars are superior but before I compare those two head to head I can't tell which I like more regardles of price.

Also I wouldn't worrry about price on takstars going up. It has been like that for years. If they went up in price they would have to face whole different competition. At the moment those are competing with superlux and such... 

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #834 of 856

pics of my gemini hrs1000 and ws99....
the only downside of having gemini hrs1000 is that it cannot be folded like m50 does but sound wise i found it to be very good for $44 only.
i was comparing my ath ws99 with all headphone i have specially  with ath ws55 and found that ws55 is far better than ws99. in terms of sound it is mature version of m50. while ws99 basss is overpowering and covering mids and highs but its a great headphone too.
for me ws55 is better and it hits hard punchy basss while not compromising mids and highs.
i was wondering if anybody can compare ws55 with jvc ha-s500. i am leaning towards a new pair of jvc since its very cheap rite now.

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #837 of 856
Nice! But you should give your impressions here http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-cyberx-qpad-thread/3405#post_11671531

Comparin m50's to gemini is ok but comparing ws99 to another gemini/takstar product is beside the point. :)

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #838 of 856
thanks for directing me man. to my ears mybe my listening is different but believe me DJX-07 with some eq tuning is not faar away from ws99. i already returned my ws99. gemini d have some tight clamp but for $24 i dont think its a bad deal.

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #839 of 856
Oh Yeah! M50s is my first and only headphone till now. I bought it for $100 back in 2009. And yes damn good at that time for the price.

What I don't like about M50 are only 2 things:-
- The sound stage isn't that good. ATH-WS550iS which is their solid bass line and bigger drivers with waaaay more space between the cans and ears -has better soundstage
- The ear ache a bit after pro-longed use of 1.30 hrs.

What would be a good recommendation now around $100 or so?

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #840 of 856
Oh Yeah! M50s is my first and only headphone till now. I bought it for $100 back in 2009. And yes damn good at that time for the price.

What I don't like about M50 are only 2 things:-
- The sound stage isn't that good. ATH-WS550iS which is their solid bass line and bigger drivers with waaaay more space between the cans and ears -has better soundstage
- The ear ache a bit after pro-longed use of 1.30 hrs.

What would be a good recommendation now around $100 or so?

Nothing. The 100 price bracket of then is the 200 price bracket now.

That's being harsh and I know there are some good offerings at 100 now but in the last few years prices have seemed to go up on a lot of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back