A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Sep 11, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #737 of 856
Well I just bought a pair for £80 delivered from ama*on. King or not!

My first decent headphones were a set of Grado s60i and I really liked them but build quality was not so great. Lasted me a couple of years.

They did sound a bit 'close to the stage', if you will forgive my ignorance of the correct terminology, and I am hoping for a slight improvement with the A-T's. 

Closed back will help when I'm in bed and not wanting to wake the wife!

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #738 of 856
  Well I just bought a pair for £80 delivered from ama*on. King or not!

My first decent headphones were a set of Grado s60i and I really liked them but build quality was not so great. Lasted me a couple of years.

They did sound a bit 'close to the stage', if you will forgive my ignorance of the correct terminology, and I am hoping for a slight improvement with the A-T's. 

Closed back will help when I'm in bed and not wanting to wake the wife!

AT's also have a very close soundsatge although it will not be as natural sounding as the SR60i since the M50 is a closed back design.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #739 of 856
  AT's also have a very close soundsatge although it will not be as natural sounding as the SR60i since the M50 is a closed back design.

Well I made a mistake with the order, read a few more things on here and ended up buying a pair of AKG 702.

Next step an amp.

blink.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #740 of 856

Well I made a mistake with the order, read a few more things on here and ended up buying a pair of AKG 702.

Next step an amp.

blink.gif

That's a good choice 
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #741 of 856

Would be interested to see how they've been treated SD.  There are people on Head-Fi who've had there 840's for years.  I still rate it as one of the best closed budget cans out there.  Yes they're heavy - but I found them very comfortable.  YMMV.

The 940 though (I owned it too) - even owners who've babied their gear have had failures.  Good sounding (weird bass though) - but very poorly designed.

i babied them and it broke in less than 3 months. i hope local shure will fix it. if not, i'd probably really disappointed and pissed. 3 months and $380 unbelievable.

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #742 of 856

i babied them and it broke in less than 3 months. i hope local shure will fix it. if not, i'd probably really disappointed and pissed. 3 months and $380 unbelievable.

Was it the SRH840 or SRH940 which broke?  If it was the SRH940 - I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #743 of 856

Was it the SRH840 or SRH940 which broke?  If it was the SRH940 - I wouldn't be surprised at all.

At $380 it sounds more likely to be the SRH940.

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #744 of 856
Yep - he pm'd me.  SRH940.  I've advised him to search for some of the replacement headband mods.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #745 of 856
  At $380 it sounds more likely to be the SRH940.

Yep - he pm'd me.  SRH940.  I've advised him to search for some of the replacement headband mods.

the local distributor have my shure now. i hope they'll replace it with a new one next week. if they reject the warranty, i'll probably just take the headphone back...

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #747 of 856
I had been unable to find these in my area until I ran across them at a pawn Shop for under $80. I was very tempted to buy them on the spot except that since these first came under my radar, I had acquired the Superlux HD668B and Superlux HD631 each for under $30 (I actually got 2 668Bs and put the drivers into a portable headset). After testing the Audio Technicas out, I have to say that they sound great - but not any better than the Superluxes - and all three pairs of Superluxes cost me less than the pair of these - plus, I really dislike not having a removable cable option.

So I left the M50s at the pawn shop  - and the only things on my radar (besides more way inexpensive Superluxes) would be way way way discounted V-Moda M-100, M-80, or XS or maybe a Monster DNA Pro. While I would really love to spend $400 and get an ultimate sounding pair of cans, I don't because I know I will sit and break them eventually. The Superluxes are good enough and I don't feel bad about trashing them for the price I paid.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #749 of 856
I know it's gonna sound silly and total waste of time but I'd like to express my own opinion about ATH M50. I haven't read all the threads here but I hope someone would agree with the way I feel about M50.

My confession: I have a very special relationship with my M50.

I bought it on Ebay more than TEN YEARS ago for around $80 and it was my first "expensive" headphone and this has been what I used ever since up to date with Ipods, smartphones and home studios. Just like everyone else, it comes to a point where you feel the need to upgrade for a better sounding phones then you start searching..
I ended up with HE400, Denon 2000, HP150, Beyerdynamic T51P, Nad Hp50 and at the end I got rid All of them in favor of my good old M50.
Why, am I crazy ? Maybe. These are technically better sounding headphones..but to me M50 has a special MAGIC that I'm looking for. The similar qualities to what I found on my HD650 and LCD 2. IF you're familiar with these phones than you get the idea. It is the warm, darker and yumminess of it.

My M50 is more than 10 Years old may be close to 13 and has definitely been through a lot of abuse and breaking in. I really wonder if the nowadays M50 sounds similar like mine because I don't find them lacking in anything for the price. It has very good balance, bass, impact and separations. MOst of all it it very musical sounding headphone.
And I say this in comparison with HD650 and LCD2...not way too far off. And I know this is very subjective perception one man's hell is another's paraadise.

My M50 sounds very good out of AK120II, very satisfying portable combo on the go. But when you pair it with more powerful amp like Intruder or even better Mk3B....WOW! It sounds like a miniature Hd650 with more intimate soundstage with the SAME bass response and tonality. Love it.

Here's my good old M50 out of AK120II balance out to ALO MK3B on high gain...yes HIGH
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back