A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Jul 1, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #722 of 856
So,

Even though this has probably been answered, what IS king if the m50 isn't?

It would be quite impossible to all agree on a one "king fits all" because people are very different and so are the headphones that they buy, so one headphone may be fantastic at one thing, and another headphone excels in another area. 

So i guess in a nutshell there is no king that defeats all other headphones hands down.

Jul 1, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #724 of 856
Well personally I don't agree on it.
Good? yes. holy crap ownage dominating king? well.... probably not...?

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #725 of 856
  It would be quite impossible to all agree on a one "king fits all" because people are very different and so are the headphones that they buy, so one headphone may be fantastic at one thing, and another headphone excels in another area. 

So i guess in a nutshell there is no king that defeats all other headphones hands down.

You said it better than I would. The reason I mentioned so many competing models in the original post is because different headphones suit different tastes better than others. This is no secret on Head-Fi, but most questions from first-time headphone buyers follow the "best headphones under $$$" formula. The M40 and PRO700MKII are generally better for bassheads (along with older models like the HFI-580 and DT770), the KNS8400 and SRH840 generally perform better as monitors, the HM5 and K550 have much more inviting sound signatures for those who prefer a smooth, warm tone. That's not even getting to newer portability-focused options, either, which include the MDR1R, HDJ2000, and Momentum. Then, if somebody plans to use their headphones solely indoors, as my girlfriend does with her M50, the options include such greats as the HD598, DT990, Fidelio X1, HE300...

There are some cases, obviously, when the M50 comes out on top of all of these, but the era of it being the default answer is over. In fact, no one headphone should be considered a go-to suggestion for first-time buyers, since even those who don't really know what they want should be given the full range of options and figure out their preferences with our help.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #726 of 856
However I think I can see why it may be easier to appeal to the general first time buyer using the M50 compared to some other headphones because it has punchy bass which they like, sparkly treble which gives a sense of energy and detail, a U shape which goes well with modern commercial songs, plus it's a closed, not too big and fairly portable. And it's appearance is not bad too.
On the flipside it may not please the more seasoned headphone listener due to the really small soundstage, and the sparkly treble which can be harsh at times, the mids that are kind of recessed, due to the U shape of the sound.

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #727 of 856
However I think I can see why it may be easier to appeal to the general first time buyer using the M50 compared to some other headphones because it has punchy bass which they like, sparkly treble which gives a sense of energy and detail, a U shape which goes well with modern commercial songs, plus it's a closed, not too big and fairly portable. And it's appearance is not bad too.

On the flipside it may not please the more seasoned headphone listener due to the really small soundstage, and the sparkly treble which can be harsh at times, the mids that are kind of recessed, due to the U shape of the sound.

I think HD449 is quite a competition for M50 in this regard. I would rate both headphones SQ more-or-less the same, and price-wise HD449 is cheaper, and it is also lighter, so more portable :)

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #728 of 856

That's absolutely right; there is good reason that it became one of the most popular headphones on the market within only a few years after its launch. However, a few years ago you couldn't enter a recommendations thread here on Head-Fi without the M50 being the frontrunner, regardless of the original poster's stated preferences. Many people who claimed they wanted an ultra-portable can were disappointed by its hefty cable, many who wanted lots of bass were lead to believe that they would enjoy the M50 more than an Ultrasone or Beyerdynamic, and so on.

I don't object to the M50 itself in any way (it's a very good headphone for many first-time buyers and seasoned listeners alike), but I object to the philosophy that one single can should be the automatic frontrunner in a suggestions thread, regardless of what's actually said in the original post. There was a time when about half of the responses to a recommendations thread were literally along the lines of "get the M50 and be done with it", and those who actually tried to work with the original poster to find out what they wanted were drowned out by a chorus of people telling them to "just go M50". When you're a first-time headphone buyer, you're going to pay more attention to the total number of people telling you to buy X headphone than to the quality of their posts.

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #729 of 856
Ever heard the term "lowest common denominator"? That's the M50. It ticks all the boxes and wouldn't be left out of any self-respecting large reviewer's stable. But the King? Nah. They are more like white socks - everyone has at least one pair... :p

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #730 of 856
Ever heard the term "lowest common denominator"? That's the M50. It ticks all the boxes and wouldn't be left out of any self-respecting large reviewer's stable. But the King? Nah. They are more like white socks - everyone has at least one pair...
tongue.gif

That's a very good way of putting it, actually, especially for those of us who joined the hobby when M50 hype was at its highest level. For about five years, nearly every first-time buyer of premium headphones bought an M50, and now we all know them as a baseline for comparing headphones at that price range.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #731 of 856

You said it better than I would. The reason I mentioned so many competing models in the original post is because different headphones suit different tastes better than others. This is no secret on Head-Fi, but most questions from first-time headphone buyers follow the "best headphones under $$$" formula. The M40 and PRO700MKII are generally better for bassheads (along with older models like the HFI-580 and DT770), the KNS8400 and SRH840 generally perform better as monitors, the HM5 and K550 have much more inviting sound signatures for those who prefer a smooth, warm tone. That's not even getting to newer portability-focused options, either, which include the MDR1R, HDJ2000, and Momentum. Then, if somebody plans to use their headphones solely indoors, as my girlfriend does with her M50, the options include such greats as the HD598, DT990, Fidelio X1, HE300...

There are some cases, obviously, when the M50 comes out on top of all of these, but the era of it being the default answer is over. In fact, no one headphone should be considered a go-to suggestion for first-time buyers, since even those who don't really know what they want should be given the full range of options and figure out their preferences with our help.

So, basically... the m50x is the do-it-all king of it's price range.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #733 of 856
I agree with most of this. But I paid for the limited edition red version brand new at a local pawn shop. for 65 DOLLARS. so I love these because of their price point. They're great for all around stuff. are they my number one choice? Not always. but for what I paid I couldn't be happier. these are a beautiful and clear sounding set of cans in my opinion. I don't need the king of headphones, I need something that gets the job done. They sound great, they're durable, great aesthetics.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #734 of 856
Been lurking this thread for what seems like an eternity at work, still have yet to find an even relatively DEFINITIVE answer:

Looking to spend no more than $300 but ideally around M50s range ($100-200)

What headphones beat the M50s at their own game?

Price point, versatility (I listen to mainly hip-hop, but also EDM and others), sound quality, comfort

Name a model and some support 

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #735 of 856
  Been lurking this thread for what seems like an eternity at work, still have yet to find an even relatively DEFINITIVE answer:

Looking to spend no more than $300 but ideally around M50s range ($100-200)

What headphones beat the M50s at their own game?

Price point, versatility (I listen to mainly hip-hop, but also EDM and others), sound quality, comfort

Name a model and some support 

Send a PM to MalVeauX and he will give you a list of options.  

http://www.head-fi.org/u/179563/malveaux

Users who are viewing this thread

Back