A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Jun 28, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #706 of 856
If you want a compliment to the M50X that's bassier than the HFI-580 and still sounds pretty open, you might want to try an M-Audio Q40.

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #710 of 856
Hello again,
ATH-m50x - Like and might be keeping. AMAZING separation. This is what I feel like high end headphones should sound like. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's separation or soundstage, but what I mean is that I can hear everything distinctly, there's a very nice reverb on drums, and even though the bass is a little light, it's prominent because it's so distinct. They leak a little noise, however, and when at a volume I like, the highs are a little piercing.

And you didn't hear smeary treble on ATH-M50 due to reverbation of closed design? I think ATH-M50 were the only closed headphones where I have actually noticed that particular issue, but maybe it's subjective feeling, because I have auditioned ATH-M50 and RH-A30 comparing one with other.

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #711 of 856
What about the ATH PRO700 MK2 or Beyer DT-770/880?

I think the Beyers wouldn't be the best choice if he already likes the way the M50X sounds, but I didn't think about the PRO700MK2. That might be a pretty good option.

Jun 28, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #713 of 856
Jun 28, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #715 of 856
Jun 29, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #717 of 856
I think from now on I'll be directing "What should I buy?" discussions to this forum so that activity here will slow. The original post is over two years old, and if it keeps showing up on the front page people tend to read the first post without understanding how old it is and they assume that I still hold all the opinions I held in 2012 and that my predictions are for the future, not the present. I'm getting a little tired of reiterating that point every few weeks.

If this turns into a full-time recommendations thread, I may have the thread locked. There's nothing wrong with asking for advice, but there's another place for that.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #718 of 856
I think the problem is the subject matter of this thread, as it encourages discussion about how you can spend ATH-M50 money in a better way. Thread might be old, ATH-M50 might be old as well, but it is still very popular choice among people who want to buy affordable high quality headphones. People consider buying ATH-M50, and first question they ask is what else can I buy for that money, and that leads them directly to this thread. And I think it's quite good. Every year there is new headphones coming out, and there is more alternatives to ATH-M50. I think thread should be kept alive :)

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #719 of 856
Main point for the M50 would be that they are a respected headphone with a solid reputation.

So to say a "save" recommendation.

Every other self proclaimed expert can respect that recommendation :)

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #720 of 856
I think the problem is the subject matter of this thread, as it encourages discussion about how you can spend ATH-M50 money in a better way. Thread might be old, ATH-M50 might be old as well, but it is still very popular choice among people who want to buy affordable high quality headphones. People consider buying ATH-M50, and first question they ask is what else can I buy for that money, and that leads them directly to this thread. And I think it's quite good. Every year there is new headphones coming out, and there is more alternatives to ATH-M50. I think thread should be kept alive
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't mean to say that the thread should die outright, but from now on I'll be directing recommendations to the appropriate forum. If we can continue to foster discussion about the M50 and about other, more current kings in various price brackets, this thread will still have a productive purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back