A Comprehensive Questionnaire about Portable USB DAC/Headphone amplifier
May 26, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #16 of 30
An android phone could be interesting with LG disappearing.

May 26, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #17 of 30
I took the survey and won a lifetime supply of Fiio.

In other news, how about keeping the Q5S TC in stock or let the public know it is discontinued or AKM or similar shortage?

Replaceable, purchaseable batteries for the public to buy. Adds low risk but high value to your products.

May 26, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #18 of 30
If you were to make one, it's a simple yes..... I use my BTR1k very often plugged in to my laptop.

However

A consumer would need reason to by the USB dongle over one of the BTRs. IE: If you sell the dongle for $70 usd, it better be better than the BTR3. Obviously it would just be better to go for the BTR 3, same performance with bluetooth as an option.

I think a good option would be basically the guts of a BTR3k minus the bluetooth and battery for $45. Balanced and all.

May 27, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #19 of 30
If you take the BTR5 and then make the firmware more stable and the software better, you got yourself a real winner. The BTR5 is rather fragile, in the sense that it can get almost bricked very easily, meaning you need to flash the firmware to get it to work again. If you fix that, improve the software (better EQ for instance) and increase the battery life that would be great. If you then manage to increase the power that would be amazing.
I guess I wouldn't invest in building a new product, I'd work to make the BTR5 better and then launch a BTR5s or something, which is the BTR5 with more battery and more power.

May 27, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #20 of 30
If you take the BTR5 and then make the firmware more stable and the software better, you got yourself a real winner. The BTR5 is rather fragile, in the sense that it can get almost bricked very easily, meaning you need to flash the firmware to get it to work again. If you fix that, improve the software (better EQ for instance) and increase the battery life that would be great. If you then manage to increase the power that would be amazing.
I guess I wouldn't invest in building a new product, I'd work to make the BTR5 better and then launch a BTR5s or something, which is the BTR5 with more battery and more power.

As opposed to making a reliable product rather than reiterate on the shortcomings. Not a sound business model for long term.

May 27, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #21 of 30
As opposed to making a reliable product rather than reiterate on the shortcomings. Not a sound business model for long term.
Well the other option is creating a new product with new hardware and software from scratch. That will guaranteed result in new shortcomings since products like these do not sell hundreds of millions of units so development budget is probably limited.

May 27, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #22 of 30
Battery indicator for the Q3 successor similar to the Q5s.

ESS would be a nice change rather than AKM. Seems a possibility I guess too.

May 27, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #23 of 30
Well the other option is creating a new product with new hardware and software from scratch. That will guaranteed result in new shortcomings since products like these do not sell hundreds of millions of units so development budget is probably limited.

Exactly. Development budget limited. Make the most of it being stable right out of the gate. Spend more money trying to clog holes in the bucket instead of shooting holes in it. The few US companies putting out products like Fiio, most aren't putting out firmware to keep up with complaints. I haven't owned one of their products personally but 9ver the years have heard about the headaches. Their firmware game should be much better by now but like the game industry the consumer allows it by continuing to support the janky business model of putting out incomplete product.

May 27, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #24 of 30
Exactly. Development budget limited. Make the most of it being stable right out of the gate. Spend more money trying to clog holes in the bucket instead of shooting holes in it. The few US companies putting out products like Fiio, most aren't putting out firmware to keep up with complaints. I haven't owned one of their products personally but 9ver the years have heard about the headaches. Their firmware game should be much better by now but like the game industry the consumer allows it by continuing to support the janky business model of putting out incomplete product.

Not arguing with you. Hoping Fiio considers it's hardware and software strategy long term.

May 27, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #25 of 30
another thing I think many would enjoy since Fiio is one of the favorite wireless d/amp brands with cheaper to expensive experiences. If AKM is the reason for Q5Stc shortage or discontinued, get your ESS game up. (I personally am not a fan of cirrus logic but like wolfson) Update your Q5 again, if able because it is possible another shortage on another IC or whatever or come out with similar model to replace with bluetooth. I just recently got 2 G8X's and a Topping NX4 d/amp. after the honeymoon wore off I find myself using it with my ES100 and Qudelix5k about half the time now. Freeing up a wire for portable mobility with less than ideal listening conditions or for minute mobility and not wanting tight pockets with a stack having LDAC capability in your d/amp is almost priceless. Many will point to what I'm using or Fiio's more portable products but I am quite sure many will say the wireless dongle products don't pack enough punch. While I am daydreaming here I would like to add to put the bluetooth feature in this Q5s/NX4/hip DAC sized product on a hardware switch to avoid pranks and isolate the wireless circuit when using wired.

May 28, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #27 of 30
I like to request;

1. Andriod Less DAP which offers 3.5/2.5/4.4 mm connection with BT LDAC (or whatever higher codec available at the time) RX/TX mode as well as USB Type-C Out. Single DAC will do so the cost remain low...as well less heat.

2. As already mentioned earlier - A battery replacement program ($250 over) to the Authorised Reseller Network of the respective country, no need to send back in China.....Please figure out to ship battery outside China with Dummy Box / Plastic Box so you can make declaration 'Device with Battery' to Chinese custom. The battery replacement program will start 18-24 months later of the device release date.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #28 of 30
Hey Fiio, when can we expect a new M6/M7 tier DAP?
Mid-end models
Now it is the mid-end models, i.e. the M6, M7 and M9 based on Samsung Exynos7270. The M9 has been discontinued for a long time; the M7 is selling inventory; the M6 is producing the last batch. So it is estimated that in half a year, our mid-end players will be sold out. As for their successors, we are currently not planning and conducting any new research and development due to two reasons.
1) There are no appropriate processors. At present, there are fewer and fewer processors available for digital products. It is impossible to find qualified processors with appropriate cost, volume, power consumption and performance.
2) Nowadays, Bluetooth amps or little tail DAC/Amps equipped with smartphones have become a portable HIFI solution for many people. If mid-end players want to be outstanding in music experience, it may at least be equipped with Qualcomm 425 + 3G RAM + 32G Flash to meet users’ requirements. But in this case, the cost space for the audio part will be minimal. Even if we made it, it may not be as good as a Bluetooth amp or a little tail DAC/Amp, and cannot compete with mobile phones in terms of its music experience.
Therefore, mid-end players really live in a dilemma. Actual sales data also reflect this trend.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 31, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #29 of 30
Mid-end models
Now it is the mid-end models, i.e. the M6, M7 and M9 based on Samsung Exynos7270. The M9 has been discontinued for a long time; the M7 is selling inventory; the M6 is producing the last batch. So it is estimated that in half a year, our mid-end players will be sold out. As for their successors, we are currently not planning and conducting any new research and development due to two reasons.
1) There are no appropriate processors. At present, there are fewer and fewer processors available for digital products. It is impossible to find qualified processors with appropriate cost, volume, power consumption and performance.
2) Nowadays, Bluetooth amps or little tail DAC/Amps equipped with smartphones have become a portable HIFI solution for many people. If mid-end players want to be outstanding in music experience, it may at least be equipped with Qualcomm 425 + 3G RAM + 32G Flash to meet users’ requirements. But in this case, the cost space for the audio part will be minimal. Even if we made it, it may not be as good as a Bluetooth amp or a little tail DAC/Amp, and cannot compete with mobile phones in terms of its music experience.
Therefore, mid-end players really live in a dilemma. Actual sales data also reflect this trend.

Best regards

Any update for Q5S TC? Successor late this year or next? Or Q5S kick the bucket?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #30 of 30
THX Onyx is brilliant - that's the one to beat. Great sound and Great design

Users who are viewing this thread

Back