A Comprehensive Questionnaire about Portable USB DAC/Headphone amplifier
May 25, 2021 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

FiiO

Sponsor: FiiO
Distinguished FiiO distributors, media and users,

First, we would like to express our gratitude for your support for FiiO. In recent years, as an increasing number of individual smart terminal devices represented by mobile phones began to give up the 3.5mm headphone jack, the compact DAC/Amp (commonly known as "Portable USB DAC/Headphone amplifier") which is used to connect to these devices in portable scenarios has gradually become a new R&D trend. Under this circumstance, many of our distributors, users and even other manufacturers have suggested we get into this market segment.

As an enterprise led by market and user needs, FiiO expects to make full preparations in researchs and information collection before making the product plan. What are the group of target customers of the Portable USB DAC/Headphone amplifier ? How much is its market capacity? What are users' expectations for the Portable USB DAC/Headphone amplifier? To better understand your thoughts and suggestions, we decided to carry out the following Comprehensive Questionnaire About the Portable USB DAC/Headphone amplifier, and would like to invite you to join us.

Thank you so much for your time and support.

Click here to start the questionnaire

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 25, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 30

First, we would like to express our gratitude for your support for FiiO. In recent years, as an increasing number of individual smart terminal devices represented by mobile phones began to give up the 3.5mm headphone jack, the compact DAC/Amp (commonly known as "Portable USB DAC/Headphone amplifier") which is used to connect to these devices in portable scenarios has gradually become a new R&D trend. Under this circumstance, many of our distributors, users and even other manufacturers have suggested we get into this market segment.

As an enterprise led by market and user needs, FiiO expects to make full preparations in researchs and information collection before making the product plan. What are the group of target customers of the Portable USB DAC/Headphone amplifier ? How much is its market capacity? What are users' expectations for the Portable USB DAC/Headphone amplifier? To better understand your thoughts and suggestions, we decided to carry out the following Comprehensive Questionnaire About the Portable USB DAC/Headphone amplifier, and would like to invite you to join us.

Please fix the bug in the FiiO m5 where the SBC codec in bluetooth sounds grainy and distorts a lot.

May 25, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 30
Hi FiiO,

I've been a long time fan of your products ever since I bought your FiiO X3 and original FiiO X5.
I created custom themes for them and loved the aesthetic look of these DAPs in general.

But I haven't used a DAP since then, because I got myself a $20 USB-C dongle. The ability to multi-task, fly through a slick and optimized user interface is what smartphones do best and I haven't looked back into wanting a DAP since then. A few years ago, you guys made a Lightning to 3.5mm dongle, and I asked why you guys didn't make one for android. It's quite peculiar really as you guys had all the opportunity in the world to jump ship on that when all the tech youtubers were complaining about the removal of headphone jacks, and now the world is in the TWS territory.

I already inputted my thoughts and desires of what I think would be a decent dongle in the survey, but I'd also like to flesh out my ideas here in proper formatting.

I currently have a $20 USB-C to 3.5mm dongle in my IT carry case, and I use it for the following.

- A 10-15 minute listening session with my HD600's/Sundaras in the morning on the toilet.
- I use it at work for my laptop that has a USB-C port and pair it with a pair of Earpods and Nicehck B40's
- I use it at home on my WFH computer that doesn't have a DAC/AMP using a USB-A to USB-C adapter.

What I like it for:
- I use it at night listening to ASMR because it's not noisy like my LG V60 port. I can hear all the hissy fits my LG V60 has in the background and it's annoying. The dongle in comparison is absolutely silent and I love it.
- I can crank the volume on my headphones up and not hear any distortion
- I don't hear a sort of step-down or step-up fluctuation when changing volumes. For example on my phone, if I want to increase the volume the volume dips down before it increases, this sort of breaks the immersion when listening to music.
- It's compatible with my PC. I bought a simple USB-A to USB-C adaptor and I don't even need drivers to get it working. With a pair of Apple Earpods and both the microphone and headphone function works thanks to the TRRS connection.

What I don't like it for:
- The USB-C plug is too big, bending over while the dongle is still plugged in makes it feel like I'll break the connector. I don't have this issue when simply using the 3.5mm right angle cable on my phone.
- The cable isn't flexible enough. It refuses to bend past 90 degrees and makes a weird lift in my shirt.
- tl;dr the dongle doesn't feel like an in-my-pocket alternative, rather it's more of a portable solution than a pocket solution.
- It lacks media controls.

What I wish it had:
- I wish it had volume controls. I know I complain about bulk, but I'm okay with bulk if it's necessary, such as having 3 button controls on apple earpods.
Volume Down+Double tap for previous track/replay -> Pause+Play -> Volume Up+Double tap for next track.

But most importantly, I only spent $20 for the adapter. There's dongles with volume control and whatnot for $100, but I don't see it as a justified purchasing decision. To me, $40-$50 for a dongle created from a company that specializes in audio would be something I would recommend to everyone and they wouldn't see me as a crazy monkey that dumps money on expensive headphones.

Best of luck with your new product.

Nec3/Smugsie

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 30
You have a great product in the FIIO BTR5. But, i don’t use it anymore because the FIIO UTWS3 has superior wireless functionality not requiring a wire. The Lotoo PAW S1 and Luxury & Precision w2 both sound significantly better than BTR5. If you want to innovate past your competition, create the next gen BTR5 that sounds better than the W2. And give it a true line out feature that can interconnect with my cayin C9. If you did that, i would pay $500 for it.

May 25, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 30
Basically improve the sound quality of BTR5 for me. Everything else is ideal in use, form factor and appearance on the BTR5.

May 25, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 30
My biggest request would be an ergonomic solution for portable setups that are a smart phone + DAC/AMP. Cable connections that don't stress the connectors and cable, and a better way to attach the devices together that doesn't make the phone bulky when the DAC isn't attached, and doesn't interfere with edge to edge screens.

May 26, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #11 of 30
Bluetooth is a REQUIRED feature in the current year. I have been interested in multiple portable dac/amps that I ended up not buying because they didn't have it (Dethonray Honey H1 being the most recent).

I noticed you make Android DAPs. Would it be that much harder to go the extra step and make a smartphone with a proper headphone amp/dac built in? A decently affordable smartphone with something like a BTR5 equivalent built in would be an instant buy for me. I don't want to carry around more crap in my pockets than I already do.

May 26, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 30

Looks like we are getting some portable USB DAC/AMP next haha. Just make something of excellent quality like Lotoo Paw S1 or Luxury & Precision W1. Also i have done the questionnaire :)

May 26, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #13 of 30
I want a BTR5 (bluetooth, dual jack, with tiny screen) that capable to power a bit more in its 3.5mm so i can use it to power HE4xx and the like.
Or slightly tinier and slightly more powerful Fiio Q3 with tiny screen

Also more importantly add battery bypass function to your portable DAC-AMP that might be a laptop or pc DAC-AMP so it will directly powered by the pc/laptop.
That way you could preserve the battery and not overcharging it everytime it become PC/Laptop dac amp.

Xduoo have include battery bypass for its XD05 Basic which for people like me who make its portable DAC/AMP doing double duty as Desktop DAC/AMP, its a highly useful function.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 30
Flexibility and I/O is a must.

Are you developing a high end audiophile product? Or are you developing one to suit the mass needs? Are we aiming to drive demanding headphones or simply IEM's?. Will this an USB dongle?

A portable unit that has 2.5/3.5 +/- 4.4 ; bluetooth ; USB-C with the sound quality of the m11 pro/plus at a much more affordable price could sell well. We don't really need the bells/whistles of a screen and Android OS. It should ideally be Apple iOS certified. And be sized small enough to slip into a pocket or laptop case. Will it draw power through the USB digital in? And how long will a built in battery last?

Replaceable batteries would be nice but not expected at the price point.

I got a lot of use out of my Merdian Explorer... and there are the DragonFly series.

May 26, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #15 of 30
The BTR5 is a versatile and practical DAC/Amp. If I were to improve the BTR5, I would:

1. ..not mess with the sound,
2. ..slightly increase battery capacity, even if the size is marginally increased.
3. ...add Bluetooth 5.2,
4. ...Increase amplification, say to 500mW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back