A complaint about Girl Scout cookies
Feb 27, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #18 of 49
My complaint with Girl Scout cookies is that I have to eat an entire box at one time. That ain't right.
mad.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
You know what I don't like about Girl Scout cookies? I don't like parents bringing the order form to the work place and having me sign up.

Isn't the point to teach the girls about assertiveness and business and what not? Anyway, I like to have the kids come to work now and then and show their face and ask me to buy. That's much funner than having mom send an email to the whole department saying there's an order form at the front desk.

I want to be able to see my co-workers kids at least once a year to see how their growing. Is that so much to ask? I'm buying b/c they taste good for one thing, but also because I want to support these young ladies, is it too much to ask that their parents have them show up and ask me themselves????

I know there's a lot of pressure to sell a bunch, its just that if anything in life shouldn't be an impersonal experience its buying Girl Scout cookies from your friend's kids.

Man, I've been saying this for years.

I refuse to buy GS cookies, or anything else, from the parents at work (unless it's a candy bar and I'm in need of a snack). That may sound harsh, but I agree that the kid should get out and sell the cookies themselves, with the parent present, of course.

Having said that, I NEVER pass a child selling stuff at the grocery store entrance. Even if it's just one box of cookies or one package of microwave popcorn, I'll buy something just to reward their effort.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #20 of 49
It's not that important to me. I wish I had access to girl scout cookies here at work.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #21 of 49
My complaint?

Trans-fat. That is all.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #22 of 49
do americans have the same GS cookies canadians do?

Up here, the box will contain half and half of an oreo type cookie thats chocolate with a chocolate middle, and vanilla cookie with a vanilla middle.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #23 of 49
I know there's not many former Girl Scouts here, but don't you guys remember needing to raise funds badly for some kind of school function? For instance, the bandies needed to raise funds to go to Macy's, to get new uniforms and instruments as per usual, to go to Disney World, to go to DC, to go to Nationals, to compete at Concert Festival... those things get expensive. For instance getting from A to B took a minimum of 5 charter busses.

It wasn't a question of "teaching us the value of the dollar" so much as "If you wanna to do this, we need the money." And when that's the case you'll raise funds anywhere, anyplace, anytime.

Was no one involved in that kind of program, that demanded funds just to keep your dream alive? I say, cut the parents some slack, there's more reason for keeping the child away from work than childless people (or people who can't remember actually being children) realize. I myself am I childless person, but I also have a good memory.
wink.gif

If you don't want any cookies, don't sign the form.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I know there's not many former Girl Scouts here, but don't you guys remember needing to raise funds badly for some kind of school function? For instance, the bandies needed to raise funds to go to Macy's, to get new uniforms and instruments as per usual, to go to Disney World, to go to DC, to go to Nationals, to compete at Concert Festival... those things get expensive. For instance getting from A to B took a minimum of 5 charter busses.

It wasn't a question of "teaching us the value of the dollar" so much as "If you wanna to do this, we need the money." And when that's the case you'll raise funds anywhere, anyplace, anytime.

Was no one involved in that kind of program, that demanded funds just to keep your dream alive? I say, cut the parents some slack, there's more reason for keeping the child away from work than childless people (or people who can't remember actually being children) realize. I myself am I childless person, but I also have a good memory.
wink.gif

If you don't want any cookies, don't sign the form.
wink.gif

I don't think that is the issue here.

I have no problem buying the stuff, I just won't buy from the parents at work.

I have bought 12 boxes off of my niece over the phone, then picked up two more boxes on my way out of the grocery store from some freckle-face Brownie simply because she made the effort to ask me. Then there are the ones that knock on my door, who I always buy from.

There are ways to have a successful fundraiser other than turning a parent into a cookie hustler at work. In fact, I believe it's against company policy to do so where I work.

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #25 of 49
What if the parents list at work is only one aspect of the overall strategy? What if the kid is also putting time in door to door, and in front of grocery stores on the weekends, and hitting up family members, etc.?

Being worried about who is making the pitch is really petty. We need the Girl Scouts (and for that matter the Boy Scouts) around, there are precious few organizations that kids can join that instill good values. I don't much care how they get funded so long as it is legal.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #26 of 49
The main reason why kids don't come to the office to sell cookies, candies, etc. is because they are attending school from 8:30 - 3 pm.

So maybe thats why, if they could, they probably would put in the effort to visit.

But me personally, I have to sell atleast 1 box of chocolates a year for my bowling league. Since i'm in two, I have to sell 2 boxes. Each one has 20 chocolates inside.

It's difficult, I admit, I had to get my dad to sell some at his office, but they have seen me in the office when I worked part time doing data-entry/logging. Now I asked him to because I can't go downtown to sell chocolates because I'm in school.

Now I could have taken transit downtown, but my school is far. I mean far, it takes me 1 1/2 hours to get home. So getting downtown would make it way too late to meet up with everybody.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
What if the parents list at work is only one aspect of the overall strategy? What if the kid is also putting time in door to door, and in front of grocery stores on the weekends, and hitting up family members, etc.?

Being worried about who is making the pitch is really petty. We need the Girl Scouts (and for that matter the Boy Scouts) around, there are precious few organizations that kids can join that instill good values. I don't much care how they get funded so long as it is legal.

I'm sure that's exactly the issue. It's not that I resent being asked to buy cookies for a quality organization, per se. It's just that I would like to see the kids I'm buying from. I hear about them in the copy room, I see photos of them on desks, I know what schools they go to.

I don't MIND buying cookies from mom, I'm just saying how much cooler is it to have the kids you hear about show up and be embarrassed and ask you themselves.

Of course, of course, there are other venues to see co-workers kids. Of course I want to help fund the GS. But GS cookies are an INSTITUTION! I think its totally cool to have the kids show up at work after school some time and go office to office. It just never seems to happen.

On the other hand, I can see why some people would feel like that's unfair pressure to put on someone at work, but you can always make some lame excuse and no one seems to be the wiser.

I don't know, I can understand how busy kids are these days and how much pressure there is to sell, sell, sell and not just be cute. But dang, isn't that part of the problem? Why are little girls put under that kind of pressure?

Oh well...I guess I'm just getting old and wistful....

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry

I was a boy scout, and to sell a maximum amount of tickets I did have my parents go into work to sell for me, as I would be in school at the same time. When out of school I did do some pounding of the pavement and setting up shop in front of Wal-mart though.

Fact of the matter is if it isn't a school holiday, you're unlikely to see kids come in selling you stuff.

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
Oh well...I guess I'm just getting old and wistful....

I'll join you. We can be old and wistful together. It is certainly a different experience interacting with and buying from the kid rather than from the parents.

I regularly support fundraisers of any kind when I see kids hard at work. I remember standing in front of the supermarket, selling candy bars in 4th grade. My parents ended up buying most of the candy bars and I ate them... very delicious.

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
I'll join you. We can be old and wistful together. It is certainly a different experience interacting with and buying from the kid rather than from the parents.

I regularly support fundraisers of any kind when I see kids hard at work. I remember standing in front of the supermarket, selling candy bars in 4th grade. My parents ended up buying most of the candy bars and I ate them... very delicious.

hahaha..that's funny...my sis and i ate the candy and then had to ask our parents for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back