A complaint about Girl Scout cookies
Feb 28, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #32 of 49
If a grown adult asks me to buy, I say, "You're a Girl Scout?"
And then tell them I'll buy them if their daughter is selling them personally.

Although, health reasons are preventing me from eating them, so it's a waste for me to buy them now.

And thank goodness my nieces in laws have grown up past Girl Scouts and don't hit me up to buy them anymore.

-Ed

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #34 of 49
I love thin mints.
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #35 of 49
I think some people just like complaining.
wink.gif
The parents selling at the office is usually just one peice of the puzzle, it's about the long days outside wal-mart as cheap people ignore you, it's about going door to door only to have it slammed in your face, it's about calling every phone number you know, only to hear "we already ordered some."

There's so many reasons for the parents to help - firstly, the unattainable prizes that the kids want, secondly, to raise money for a good cause, thirdly, it's getting more and more unsafe for a little girl in a pretty uniform to knock on a stranger's door, fourthly, your child has already learned plenty from the long days outside the grocery store, and you're certainly not going to take your child out of school, into a work environment around people you may not trust around your kid, just so they can learn the value of the dollar.

Cut the parents some slack.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #36 of 49
I don't particularly care whether the kids do the selling or the parents do it. That's their concern and they can raise their kids how they choose.

My problem is that when people bring things to work to sell there is a pressure to purchase, especially when the parent is a superior of yours, that makes things uncomfortable. People feel pressured to buy cookies, candy, raffle tickets, sponsor your kid for a charity walkathon, etc., because they think if they don't, it will damage their working relationsip with the parent. That's why I think it's inappropriate.

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein
do americans have the same GS cookies canadians do?

Up here, the box will contain half and half of an oreo type cookie thats chocolate with a chocolate middle, and vanilla cookie with a vanilla middle.

In Toronto we get those as well as the thin mints. But I'm thinking we're getting gyped out of these Samoans everyone seems to be raving about...

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #38 of 49
I think that if the parents want to help their children, and teach them some values at the same time, then take the kid dooor to door! Walk with them, spend some time with your kids, and protect them, because it is way too dangerous
in today's society to let your kid go door to door alone, even in your own neighborhood!

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #39 of 49
i just ate half a box of thin mints 3 minutes ago....and man are they good, so i can't complain
they are also nice treats to snack on during class cuz they deliver them at skool

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by JT107
I think that if the parents want to help their children, and teach them some values at the same time, then take the kid dooor to door! Walk with them, spend some time with your kids, and protect them, because it is way too dangerous
in today's society to let your kid go door to door alone, even in your own neighborhood!

So it's a bad parent that does that, and takes the order form to work as well? If that's the case, then I can't agree.

Yes of course it's inappropriate for a superior to passive-agressively sell cookies, but if you have the kind of boss who would do that, there are bigger problems in the work place than just girl scout cookies.

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #41 of 49
Ahh... Thin Mints and Samoans. Frozen. God, I love those.

/On thinking, checks eBay. Is rewarded. I knew someone out there was thinking smart...

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #42 of 49
My wife is a troop co-leader and my daughter is a brownie scout.

In our area, they are not allowed by the local leaders to sell by themselves door to door. I know that makes sense, but it's kind of mandated. Going with them is not really recommended, either. Must be the day and age (safety concerns).

I took the form to work and sold about 40 boxes. One day off, I brought her into work to personally thank everyone I could who bought them.

Honestly, I don't have the time or inclination to take her door to door to sell. I know that sounds lazy.

My wife is a bank manager, and she sells them like crazy there.

My daughter does try to sell the cookies at church and to family members personally, though. We also make her personally deliver the cookies to everyone, if possible.

I DO NOT push the sale at all. I simply take it to work, put it in the break room and kind of put the word out that it's there, if anyone wants to. It usually fills up fast, then I get people asking when they will be in.

The point isn't completely to teach the girls to sell, it's mostly to raise money for the troop for trips and supplies. I think that's the point.

Believe me, the girls are involved.

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #43 of 49
Hey, plainsong, you changed your avatar!

PS I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back