A Challenge for Audiophiles
Jan 29, 2014 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

slackmachine

New Head-Fier
So I've been wondering about this because I feel that it fits the demands of most of the general population <30 who usually just use their iPhone earbuds or splurge for Beats. 

What is the best recommendation for a <$75 headphone that doesn't require amping? Despite the known advantages of amping, most of this group of people just don't want another thing to carry around. 

Also, most people in this group most likely value a decently heavy bass. Not bass-head level, but still generally strong. I've been doing a lot of research on this question and come to these suggestions, although without much information as to which would be better than the other.

Sr-60i   (included because it's such a common choice, but the open back isn't often appealing to many seeking isolation and public use)
JVC HAM750
koss Prodj100
koss ur-55
Monoprice 108323
sennheiser hd428
Superlex hd661
sj55

What are your guy's thoughts? I want to find a suggestion that can be a staple for the many people in this situation who often end up just settling for their stock earbuds.

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 9
no way the grado is going to give you bass if you want decent bass. My 325Is does have ok bass but the 60 is no where close. It does have that Grado sound that we all know and love. I would say the Sennheiser

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 9
  no way the grado is going to give you bass if you want decent bass. My 325Is does have ok bass but the 60 is no where close. It does have that Grado sound that we all know and love. I would say the Sennheiser

Maybe stock but there is a <10min mod you can do to the SR60s to make them way bassier. Granted I did that mod and modded my sr60s with a wood cup with a longer chamber but they are way bassier than any other grado I have heard (sr60, sr80, sr225, sr325, rs1, rs2, and gs1k). Though imo I made mine way too bassy for my tastes (still sub bass head level), but my brother loves them.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 9
A modified Presonus HD7 is an absolute beast. They're a little peaky in the treble, but no more than a Grado - but with a big soundstage, heaps of detail and very decent bass extension. Easily competes with other headphones up to 200-300 euros. 

(30 euros for headphone + 20 euros for new AKG replacement velour earpads + some cheap foam/cotton damping)

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 9
  Maybe stock but there is a <10min mod you can do to the SR60s to make them way bassier. Granted I did that mod and modded my sr60s with a wood cup with a longer chamber but they are way bassier than any other grado I have heard (sr60, sr80, sr225, sr325, rs1, rs2, and gs1k). Though imo I made mine way too bassy for my tastes (still sub bass head level), but my brother loves them.

im gonna have to try that

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 9
  A modified Presonus HD7 is an absolute beast. They're a little peaky in the treble, but no more than a Grado - but with a big soundstage, heaps of detail and very decent bass extension. Easily competes with other headphones up to 200-300 euros. 

(30 euros for headphone + 20 euros for new AKG replacement velour earpads + some cheap foam/cotton damping)

Hmm I haven't looked at those. They seem a bit big but look pretty nice for the price. How do they sound without an amp?

It might be snubbed by some audiophiles, but you can get Skullcandy Aviator's for around that price. They've gotten decent reviews for what most would dismiss as a fashion headphone.

Well those bring up the bracket to $150, where I feel other headphones (such as the m-50s) take the cake

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 9
  Hmm I haven't looked at those. They seem a bit big but look pretty nice for the price. How do they sound without an amp?

Well those bring up the bracket to $150, where I feel other headphones (such as the m-50s) take the cake

The street price for them is ~$75, sometimes less. I don't have any experience with them, I've just read good things about them for the price. Can check out a comparison of them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-b-w-p7-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-executive-kef-m500-and-skullcandy-aviators

Another solid one would be the ATH-M50, which should be around ~$100 as the updated M50x comes out.

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 9

About the same as they sound with an amp. They have a very low resistance and sound great even straight out of an ipod. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back