A capella recommendations
Nov 9, 2008 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
A friend recently compiled me a CD of collegiate a capella songs, and I love it! Now I want to get my hands on some more, but I don't know where to start. Any ideas? Most of the tracks I've heard are comedic (e.g., God of Partial Credit, The Stalking Song), so I guess I'd appreciate recommendations in that direction. Thanks!

Edit: It sounds like I'm looking for barbershop. Is that right?

P.S.: By the way, I've done a search here already, and that turned up some interesting a capella suggestions. I'm hoping for more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 7
I've listened to (and performed) a lot of a capella music. I never really liked comedic songs that much, but I'm happy to make some general suggestions in the hopes that you might find something you like.

Barbershop:
A good place to start are with recordings by SPEBSQSA international champions like Keepsake, Nightlife and Four Voices. There are a number of talented chorus groups as well, especially the Vocal Majority and the Masters of Harmony.

Jazz:
This is where my interest is these days. Perhaps the premiere all a capella jazz group is "The Real Group", out of Sweden. "New York Voices" are just as good, but often sing with a band. I've also been enjoying the mostly a capella "Groove Society"

I'm compelled to add a side note, seeing where you're from: I toured New Zealand and southwestern Australia singing barbershop with the Garden City Chorus in the mid-1990's. Only time I've been out of the U.S.

Nov 9, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 7
Well, it's not Stalking Song or even Black Mombazo, but a capella has long been something that I love, but more in the classical vein than anything else. My favorite a capella album is Spem in Alium by Thomas Tallis as sung by the Tallis Scholars. It's probably one of the most famous a capella works every written, beastly difficult to perform, and transcendentally gorgeous to listen to. Don't miss it!

41D7QP6W56L._SS400_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back