A Breath of Fresh AirHead
Apr 22, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
It isn't doing any damage. The input voltage is simply too high. You can cure that very easily, without sonic impact by putting a pair of in-line RCA attenuators in the signal path. HeadRoom sell 6dB and 12dB attenuators - I bought a pair of 6dB attenuators for that exact reason and it reduced the level the exact right amount to preserve a good signal level whilst avoiding clipping.

so THAT's what those are for! You gave me an idea.. I plugged in a radio-shack passive in-line volume control that I had laying around, and that solved the pre-clipping light issue.. thanks for your help!
etysmile.gif

May 4, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

I plugged in a radio-shack passive in-line volume control that I had laying around, and that solved the pre-clipping light issue.

I did the same with a Shure Attenuator and that sorted it.

Where abouts can I get those RCA Attenuators someone mentioned?

May 6, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #49 of 53
I expect this isn't an issue, but can someone tell me what the power output of the airhead is? I'm hard of hearing, and without my hearing aids, my hearing starts off 30 dB down!

Empiracally, I'm looking for 160-200 mW output into 64 Ohms (HD 280s). Will the Total Airhead and Total Bithead support that?

Thanks,
Skip

May 7, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
This is harder than it apears, when you try to do it with one socket, and if we stay with the current enclosure we cannot add a connector. Future, again.

Hey, are there AC adapters out there that provide DC current via a USB connector, at standard USB voltage? If so, that would provide a handy solution!

May 7, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #51 of 53
Like I say, it's not quite that simple given the current design. The USB DAC chip won't turn on its power management pin unluss it is enumerated by a computer. You can bypass the feature, but then it won't work with some laptops and unpowered USB hubs. There are workarounds, but we can't implement them with the current power supply/battery configuration. Next gen.

May 7, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by golemB
Hey, are there AC adapters out there that provide DC current via a USB connector, at standard USB voltage? If so, that would provide a handy solution!

Yes there are, but I don't think that is the issue here.

Regarding the power output post, I don't have any figures, but if you are at -30 and are trying to get 'normal' listening levels, then you are pushing your headphones up to 110db which may be damaging to them.

May 15, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #53 of 53
using total airhead with 5g Ipod and Ety 4s. Notice just occassionally distortion--clipping?--in some of my Itunes downloads even though I have soundcheck installed on both Ipod and Itunes.

Any ideas what could be causing this or any remedies? The clipping light is not going on, by the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back