A Breath of Fresh AirHead
Mar 31, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #31 of 53
Well if it handles cx300's and e4c's, then game on.
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope I have the funds when I come home this summer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Well if it handles cx300's and e4c's, then game on.
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope I have the funds when I come home this summer.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't tested it with the E4c and CX300 in high-gain mode yet, as low-gain drives them perfectly. And, again, very importantly (to me anyway), the background is blackground with both--dead silent. I'm listening to the E4c now actually.

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #33 of 53
Jude, I think that you just convinced me to upgrade my now-prior-generation Bithead to the new model. I've been traveling constantly recently (flying about 5,000 miles per week) so my Bithead has been getting a lot of use both on the plane and in hotel rooms.

Mar 31, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jude
Again, Tyll, out of the park, man.

Thanks, Jude, glad you're digging it.

Quote:

Isn't there a discount when upgrading from older models?

There is some kind of deal...I think it's 20% off if you trade in your old one.

Mar 31, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
There is some kind of deal...I think it's 20% off if you trade in your old one.

Yeah, but it appears that the discount doesn't apply to the 2004 TBH:

Quote:

All BitHeads are also current models, and are not eligible for the trade-in program.

OK, no Head-Fi discount anymore, but a Head-Fi upgrade waiver?

Apr 7, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #40 of 53
I've got a Total Airhead around 2 or 3 years old, its plugged into a Firestone Spitfire DAC and Etymotic 4p.
In certain vocal passages there is a harshness or distortion otherwise it sounds very good. (It's not there when plugged into an amp and speakers).
I've never had this from any other source, could the DAC's output be too high for the Airhead and if so would it be better on the New Airhead?

Apr 7, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by alross50
I've got a Total Airhead around 2 or 3 years old, its plugged into a Firestone Spitfire DAC and Etymotic 4p.
In certain vocal passages there is a harshness or distortion otherwise it sounds very good. (It's not there when plugged into an amp and speakers).
I've never had this from any other source, could the DAC's output be too high for the Airhead and if so would it be better on the New Airhead?

If the DAC's output is too high, you will experience clipping, which will be shown by the clipping light flashing a bit. Unless the older airheads didn't have that light? If you have the light, and it stays off, you have no issue with output/input levels.

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #44 of 53
on that side note...

I have a 2004 Total AirHead, and when I use the line-out from a home CD player, I see that red light come on even though the volume is all the way down (when it's powered by batteries).

If this is a pre-clipping light, what will resolve that problem? Does it pose a problem for any of the electronics in the amp or the headphones?
confused.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #45 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by r0b
on that side note...

I have a 2004 Total AirHead, and when I use the line-out from a home CD player, I see that red light come on even though the volume is all the way down (when it's powered by batteries).

If this is a pre-clipping light, what will resolve that problem? Does it pose a problem for any of the electronics in the amp or the headphones?
confused.gif

It isn't doing any damage. The input voltage is simply too high. You can cure that very easily, without sonic impact by putting a pair of in-line RCA attenuators in the signal path. HeadRoom sell 6dB and 12dB attenuators - I bought a pair of 6dB attenuators for that exact reason and it reduced the level the exact right amount to preserve a good signal level whilst avoiding clipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back