a better site than tirerack.com for reviews
Jan 13, 2010 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

stevenjchang

500+ Head-Fier
I am going to be driving cross country (NY-->WA) in less than 2 weeks.
My tires are just about out of tread anyways.
looking for good ALL SEASON tires, especially in the RAIN. its very wet out in Seattle. snow traction is also important as i'm driving thru the mountain regions.

my price is between $80 to $120 per tire.

here is my problem. the tirerack reviews are so polarizing they confuse me so much... EVERY SINGLE TIRE has high recommendations, but also strongly repeating negative reviews, even the $140 one's (My first choice prior to reviews was Michelin-because they are sold at costco).

for every "luxury" tire there are about a dozen reviews or more that claim they are not as advertised, and that they felt much safer with their old cheapo budget tires.

that cant be right...

anyways, is there a better source??? a better site? i need to get tires asap

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 8
that very well could be true, i remember reading/watching about some of the practices that go on when you buy tires. Such as they might have been un-used but have been in the store for years making for an unsafe tire. I presume cheapo tires move more stock then luxury ones, meaning people might have gotten an old new tire of the luxury brand, and a new cheapo tire.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 8
Consumer Reports has a number of tire reviews online and in the little book they publish every year for about $12. You'll also find a pretty comprehensive review of all-season tires in a Car and Driver Magazine from about 6 months ago if you hit your local library. If I recall correctly, the Hankook was the best bang for the buck in that review.

Jan 15, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadly55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that very well could be true, i remember reading/watching about some of the practices that go on when you buy tires. Such as they might have been un-used but have been in the store for years making for an unsafe tire. I presume cheapo tires move more stock then luxury ones, meaning people might have gotten an old new tire of the luxury brand, and a new cheapo tire.

All tyres carry a date/year code,it pays to check them if purchased from some where with a small stock turnover.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 8
The ones on my car are Firestone FR380's. Really cheap tires and not the best mileage, but they are absolutely excellent in the rain and and snow, and reasonably quiet for a tire that is so good in the rain. We bought them from Firestone with the lifetime alignment...I'd just recommend getting the lifetime balance also if possible...it's really nice to be able to get that stuff for free, trust me.

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #6 of 8
I wouldn't go by individual reviews on Tirerack, rather look at the cumulative ratings. I find those to be very accurate to my tire buying experiences, much more so than Consumer Reports' ratings. I certainly wouldn't recommend one brand overall, I think they all have their less than spectacular models.

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #7 of 8
I'd recommend finding a forum for the car you have - most models have a discussion forum these days.

When I bought new tires a couple months ago, I found the car forums much more helpful than I did the review sites.

For what it's worth, I ended up with a set of Goodyear Eagle GTs. I am very pleased with them, though they're not the strongest performers in snow. They do well in rain, however.

Having spent several years in Oregon, I'd focus more on wet/rain handling than snow. Well, unless you're planning to be east of the Cascades. If you're east of the Cascades, I'd recommend a good set of tires for dry/wet conditions and a second studded set for the cold months. If you have to deal with snow/ice regularly, you're better off with studs.

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 8
It would be really beneficial to list your tire size as prices are very dependent on that. Also what car is it for?

Try 1010tires for reviews. Car forums are my other home besides headfi.
wink.gif

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresearch.asp?submit=yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back