A $70 Audio Player?
Mar 17, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #46 of 125
Th
Glad you found it useful. Any feedback on getting it installed following the guide? Anything I missed or could clarify?

I didn't note any errors as I read through it.  I'm pretty familiar with RPi & Linux distro installs though, so I didn't follow your guide word for word.

I'm really thanking you more for reminding me that this could be done easily with the RPi.  I hadn't revisited RaspyFi/Volumio options in quite some time, and was pleased to find that RuneAudio was such a "mature" solution after reading your writeup.

I still find the web interface and network share library options a bit clunky but I don't really use them, as I prefer simply using it as a renderer in BubbleUPnP.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #47 of 125

I still find the web interface and network share library options a bit clunky but I don't really use them, as I prefer simply using it as a renderer in BubbleUPnP.

One thing I'd really love to know about RPi is how to setup DLNA streaming using Tidal or Qobuz from laptop or Android devices. Perhaps this is the aspect I most miss from the original guide...

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #48 of 125

One thing I'd really love to know about RPi is how to setup DLNA streaming using Tidal or Qobuz from laptop or Android devices. Perhaps this is the aspect I most miss from the original guide...

I did that on volumio. It was pretty straightforward, enable it in the settings and then set the volumio as the renderer in BubbleUPNP then sign in to Tidal in BubbleUPNP.
I couldn't get it to work in Volumio2 though, to be fair, it's still in beta.

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #49 of 125
+1.  BubbleUPnP works great for streaming to devices that way.  I have my entire collection backed up to Google Play Music and stream from there frequently.  IMO, it's a better interface than Google's app, and it keeps me from having to install a separate app on my phone for each service.

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #50 of 125
So interesting trick for the Pi and RuneAudio.  It can output to two USB devices at the same time.  I am reviewing a Chord Mojo right now and also using my Parasound Zdac.  Thought about trying both attached and then just switching the output device via MPD to switch between the two.  First time I switched I noticed both were playing at the same time.  

No snaps or clicks or other issues from pushing USB to both devices either.  This is just at 16/44.1 though.  Im going to find some higher bitrate content and see if that causes isssues.  

Edit: Pushed some 24/88.2 and 24/96 with no issues to report.

Edit 2: Seems to be hit or miss.  I would sometimes get glitches with this setup and others get nice clean audio.  Not sure what changed from day to day but it was not consistent.  

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #54 of 125

Have you tried Coax/Optical connectors via Digi+ instead of USB?

I just finished my Raspberry Pi 3 with Digi+ build using Rune (RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB.img.gz).  When connected to Modi 2 Uber via USB, Rune recognizes the DAC and everything works.  But when connected via Coax, Rune doesn't recognize the DAC.  I'm still working through the Google searches, but not having much luck so far.  So if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks.

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #55 of 125

I just finished my Raspberry Pi 3 with Digi+ build using Rune (RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB.img.gz).  When connected to Modi 2 Uber via USB, Rune recognizes the DAC and everything works.  But when connected via Coax, Rune doesn't recognize the DAC.  I'm still working through the Google searches, but not having much luck so far.  So if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks.

Did you edit the config file on the SD card to let it see the Digi+ board? I don't have the URL on me but search the Rune forums, I know it's discussed in there.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #56 of 125
Here is the link to the Runeaudio forums I used to get mine working...

http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/digi-support-in-runeaudio-t2847.html#p10698

And a link to my current setup...

https://www.evernote.com/l/AJxRFT3wJTxLXrG5fAwbl8YU8dVUyqdzPl0

This is my first post on Head-Fi. I've been a member since March 2015 and have benefited greatly from everyone's sharing.

Marc

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #57 of 125

Did you edit the config file on the SD card to let it see the Digi+ board? I don't have the URL on me but search the Rune forums, I know it's discussed in there.

Here is the link to the Runeaudio forums I used to get mine working...

http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/digi-support-in-runeaudio-t2847.html#p10698

And a link to my current setup...

https://www.evernote.com/l/AJxRFT3wJTxLXrG5fAwbl8YU8dVUyqdzPl0

This is my first post on Head-Fi. I've been a member since March 2015 and have benefited greatly from everyone's sharing.

Marc

Thanks Marc!  I got it working.  As specified, the following text needs to be added to the config.txt file:

# Uncomment one of these lines to enable an audio interface
#device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-dac
#device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-dacplus
device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-digi
#device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-amp
#device_tree_overlay=iqaudio-dac
#device_tree_overlay=iqaudio-dacplus

The config.txt file is easy enough to find on the micro SD card when put into a Windows computer; however, what I was not aware of was that you can not edit and save the config.txt file using Windows Notepad.  In order to do that, I used Notepad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.9.1.html), based on the recommendation from Frank on the Rune forums.  Opening the config.txt file from Notepad++ allowed me to add (copy/paste) the necessary lines.

Apparently this text would work for a number of devices, by removing the "#" in front of the corresponding device ('device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-digi' in my case).

After re-booting the Rasperberry Pi 3 with the micro DS with the updated config.txt, then select the Digi+ in Rune/Menu/MPD Configuration/Audio Output.

Sweet music is now being outputted via Coax to my DAC/Amp!

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #58 of 125

Thanks Marc!  I got it working.  As specified, the following text needs to be added to the config.txt file:

# Uncomment one of these lines to enable an audio interface
#device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-dac
#device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-dacplus
device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-digi
#device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-amp
#device_tree_overlay=iqaudio-dac
#device_tree_overlay=iqaudio-dacplus

The config.txt file is easy enough to find on the micro SD card when put into a Windows computer; however, what I was not aware of was that you can not edit and save the config.txt file using Windows Notepad.  In order to do that, I used Notepad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.9.1.html), based on the recommendation from Frank on the Rune forums.  Opening the config.txt file from Notepad++ allowed me to add (copy/paste) the necessary lines.

Apparently this text would work for a number of devices, by removing the "#" in front of the corresponding device ('device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-digi' in my case).

After re-booting the Rasperberry Pi 3 with the micro DS with the updated config.txt, then select the Digi+ in Rune/Menu/MPD Configuration/Audio Output.

Sweet music is now being outputted via Coax to my DAC/Amp!

How does it sound compared to the USB output?

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #59 of 125
I'm not sure that I have your golden ears, but I'll try to do some comparison listening later tonight for fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back