A $70 Audio Player?
Apr 8, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #76 of 125
I'd be very interested in that? Is it possible to just hook up the Soekris board to the RPi? Are they compatible?

It's compatable but I don't have much DIY knowledge to guide you through. There is a lot of DIY dacs that is compatable with PI using the I2s.

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #78 of 125
The Soekris DAM1021 will work with the RPI with the right software.

How can I find the right software? Will the usual distros like RuneAudio or Volumio work?

PS I see this discussion in the Volumio forums, but nothing obviously clear:
http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/soekris-dam-1021-t3252.html

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #79 of 125
The HiFIBerry is a I2S dac like the Soekris.

I use Picoreplayer to drive the RPi instead of Volumio using the generic HiFIBerry I2S driver in the software.
https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home.

Connecting up the RPi to the Soekris requires basic DIY Electronics skills, the connectors have to be soldered on and a power supply provided.

Here is mine in during the early bring up stage.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #80 of 125
RPI has some timing and jitter issues via I2s. It's probably good enough, but for the most demanding people it could use a reclocker.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #81 of 125
  Connecting up the RPi to the Soekris requires basic DIY Electronics skills, the connectors have to be soldered on and a power supply provided.
Here is mine in during the early bring up stage.

Doesn't the RPi have enough power to drive the dam1021, just like it does for the Hifiberry DAC+? Could the two be hooked without having to solder a power supply on hte Soekris board?

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #82 of 125
RPI has some timing and jitter issues via I2s. It's probably good enough, but for the most demanding people it could use a reclocker.

The Soekris digital inputs including I2S are reclocked by the onboard FPGA this deals with the jitter and timing issues.
This is one of the reasons I bought the Soekris as a high-performance reclock board can cost more than the base level Soekris.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #83 of 125
The Soekris digital inputs including I2S are reclocked by the onboard FPGA this deals with the jitter and timing issues.
This is one of the reasons I bought the Soekris as a high-performance reclock board can cost more than the base level Soekris.

I want to build one now. Soekris + RPI is probably cheaper than most daps out there and would perform really well.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #84 of 125

Doesn't the RPi have enough power to drive the dam1021, just like it does for the Hifiberry DAC+? Could the two be hooked without having to solder a power supply on hte Soekris board?

The RPi power is very noisy and this will ruin the DAC performance.

The Soekris is designed to electrically separate the I2S input from the rest of the DAC thru a galvanic isolator chip, this means both sides have to be independently powered

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #86 of 125
  Can't the RPi be run under a Linear Power Supply to avoid the noisy power?

The noise is from the RPi itself, the expense of the low noise linear supply is largely wasted.
I tried it anyway and went back to the wallwart that is recommended for the RPi.
Unlike USB, the I2S signal comes from the RPi internal GPIO lines and the noise cleanup has to be done.

The linear supply is used on the isolated side of the DAC and not shared with the RPi.

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #87 of 125

A big Thank you! Just finished this and your instructions were spot on. I am using it with runeaudio, and also the bubbleUpnp android app, which allows me to stream my flac library and playlists from Foobar. Its feeding a schitt modi 2 Uber which is also being fed by a chromcast audio(optical) for online streaming services , and a Fiio X3 (coaxial out). Haven't done a lot of a/b testing yet, but so far sounds great.

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #88 of 125
  A big Thank you! Just finished this and your instructions were spot on. I am using it with runeaudio, and also the bubbleUpnp android app, which allows me to stream my flac library and playlists from Foobar.

Do you think you could post some instructions on what you had to do for this? I'd love to set-up an RPi for streaming as well....

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #89 of 125

Do you think you could post some instructions on what you had to do for this? I'd love to set-up an RPi for streaming as well....

I did not have to do anything special, or different. the instructions Posted by silvrr at the beginning of this thread worked for me. There are some network streaming options available with the Rune audio app. The only thing i did, not mentioned in the setup instructions was download and install BubbleUpnp android app on my phone and tablet. It recognized my raspberry pi Rune player and my network shares including my Foobar server and playlists. I think i am using the pro version of BubbleUpnp but it is a great app.

May 5, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #90 of 125
Thanks for this thread. I just got a Raspberry Pi 3 and Digi+ yesterday. Been experimenting with Volumio but thinking of switching to Rune with a dedicated USB drive for the Pi, synced to my iTunes library :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back