AÜR AUDIO IEMs
Apr 2, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #3,346 of 3,648
Now you give me serious doubts about my Ascension. When I received it and started listening to it, I reported that the sound on left channel was somehow distorted or some frequencies were off for a few seconds and then on. I thought that it was a problem with the Penon cable that I used with my Ascension but now that you say that you have the same problem in the left channel , I'm wondering if it's the left channel that is faulty. I just did the test with Youtube video where all frequencies are tested on the left and right channel and did not notice any difference. But that does not mean that there is nothing wrong since it was occasional. Now I listen to it with stock cable and everything seems to be normal. I really don't know if it was the cable or my left channel that was faulty? why is it always the left channel that can have a problem?

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #3,347 of 3,648
Now you give me serious doubts about my Ascension. When I received it and started listening to it, I reported that the sound on left channel was somehow distorted or some frequencies were off for a few seconds and then on. I thought that it was a problem with the Penon cable that I used with my Ascension but now that you say that you have the same problem in the left channel , I'm wondering if it's the left channel that is faulty. I just did the test with Youtube video where all frequencies are tested on the left and right channel and did not notice any difference. But that does not mean that there is nothing wrong since it was occasional. Now I listen to it with stock cable and everything seems to be normal. I really don't know if it was the cable or my left channel that was faulty? why is it always the left channel that can have a problem?
Im sorry to hear that. The best I would suggest you do is take a set you have never had issues with and listen to a song you know really well that has good imaging cues. Listen to one part several times and then switch over and see if anything sounds shifted or otherwise off outside of tuning obviously.

As for me, I just heard back from Nicholas and he told me to ship it back for them to check no questions asked.

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #3,348 of 3,648
I just popped a new Kinera Dromi cable on my Neon Pro after robbing the other cable for my S12 Pro.

I haven't listened with the Neon Pro after using my Campfire Solaris Mercury for the last few days after getting the Solaris sorted out for proper fit and comfort and really starting to appreciate them.

The Neon Pro immediately impressed !

While the Solaris is a few years old now it was their flagship offering for some time and I think that the Neon Pro can easily match them for enjoyable listening at 40% of the price is saying something about Abel's tuning ability.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #3,349 of 3,648
Dear Diary,

I know the Athena cable is good. I did not expect such a big difference from the stock cable. Yesterday, I commented that on the Xduoo it was lacking in the treble front. It is not so on the Athena cable. On top of amp/dac rolling. Cable rolling will make a big difference too. Switching off the treble and mids will make it sound like the stock cable.

If you are buying the Aehta. Go for the Athena cable. Be prepared for a long journey of discovery with this one.

I have a report to write and here I am flipping switches up and down getting nothing done.

IMG_6658.jpeg

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #3,351 of 3,648
I think since the iem is fresh what you experienced is real time burn in. Can try all sources again after 100 hrs and see if the difference is great between the sources.
Good point.

Another note. I put the Xduoo on turbo. Which kicks it into class A mode. The Aehta opens up into an even bigger stage. The bass is a bit much for me. A song like Blackpink's ddu-du ddu-du, the treble is sparkling, and sub bass is rumbling hard. A bit fatiguing, but fun.

2 hours later. My report is still unfinished.

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #3,353 of 3,648
Good point.

Another note. I put the Xduoo on turbo. Which kicks it into class A mode. The Aehta opens up into an even bigger stage. The bass is a bit much for me. A song like Blackpink's ddu-du ddu-du, the treble is sparkling, and sub bass is rumbling hard. A bit fatiguing, but fun.

2 hours later. My report is still unfinished.
Is the treble airy and extended? Is this more L shaped or...?

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #3,354 of 3,648
Is the treble airy and extended? Is this more L shaped or...?
On the DX260, it's also a bright source. On the safe side. I will say the treble is good, but the main focus is on the lows and mids. You won't buy this for the treble alone.

This statement is made without testing the other switch positions. Like bass and mids off.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #3,355 of 3,648
On the DX260, it's also a bright source. On the safe side. I will say the treble is good, but the main focus is on the lows and mids. You won't buy this for the treble alone.

This statement is made without testing the other switch positions. Like bass and mids off.
Thanks! I won't buy any iem for either bass or treble alone. But if the highs aren't resolving, airy and sparkly, I am not that interested. I really appreciate all the effort you're putting in. Looking forward to more impressions. :relaxed:

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #3,356 of 3,648
Thanks! I won't buy any iem for either bass or treble alone. But if the highs aren't resolving, airy and sparkly, I am not that interested. I really appreciate all the effort you're putting in. Looking forward to more impressions. :relaxed:
The highs are sparkly and resolving. Air wise. It's more balanced and has a presence than airy. You won't use it and go, the highs are recessed and dark. I am more of a treble head myself. I prefer it spacious and airy. This IEM is not the Elysian Annihilator for sure. On a brighter and wider soundstage source like the DX260. The bass is tamed down and the top end opens up. I suspect most people won't be buying it for this. They want the boom boom.

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #3,357 of 3,648
The highs are sparkly and resolving. Air wise. It's more balanced and has a presence than airy. You won't use it and go, the highs are recessed and dark. I am more of a treble head myself. I prefer it spacious and airy. This IEM is not the Elysian Annihilator for sure. On a brighter and wider soundstage source like the DX260. The bass is tamed down and the top end opens up. I suspect most people won't be buying it for this. They want the boom boom.
Have you had a chance to try turning bass switch down and the treble up?

And yes, seems like boom boom is in. I want one or two boom, rich mids and treble spacious and airy

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #3,358 of 3,648

And yes, seems like boom boom is in. I want one or two boom, rich mids and treble spacious and airy
Not yet. Just got home from dinner. I'll give it a go right now.

Apr 3, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #3,359 of 3,648

I used this diva vocal centric album I am familiar with.

AB'd against the Elysian Gaea. It's the only Elysian I have at hand.

The Gaea is on stock cable and tips. The Aehta is on the Athena and stock tips, bass and mids off, treble on. Amp/dac is the Xduoo XD05 Pro with the ESS dac and Sparkos opamps. Cables should be comparable, dac is technical and high resolving, and the amp is spacious on the staging.

The Gaea is airy and very spacious. The higher range of her vocals is where the bite is. The rest of the lower range sounds lean. Musical instruments like the guitars and lower piano notes don't sound lively. Drums are mostly secondary, ample to enjoy, but not the focus. Basically, until the singer hits the high notes, it doesn't bite.

Switching to the Aehta. Immediately the first thought, the note weight is of a different quality. Her entire vocal range bites. Drums are kicking. Basslines are very engaging. Definitely not the extremely airy, sparkly, and lean presentation of the Gaea. It's warm and rich in comparison. The piano notes don't ping like the Gaea. Technicals are superior. Reminds me of a live show.

Now trying with the mids and highs on, lows off.

Highs are less forward. As expected the focus is now in the mid range. It's warmer. For a diva singing. The previous setting is a better tuning. This shines on an acoustic track. Otherwise, I prefer the only treble on setting.

Nutshell.

Gaea is very airy and spacious, but lean.

Aehta is richer and warmer, more technical, but the sense of space feels more intimate.

Final comment

I guess the option to switch the tuning to fit different genres and tastes works better than I was expecting.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 9.46.58 PM.png

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #3,360 of 3,648
I appreciate it's hard to comment with only short listens but how about the stage dimensions and imaging ability? I'm all together confident Abel can tune a good tonality but the intangible aspects are difficult to get right.
After burning for 24 hrs, i would say stage size is similar or larger than aurora/ascension shape to be determined. Staging is highly dependent on cable used in my case is toxic blackwidow XL. Imaging is precise, for orchestra music sounds like a small concert hall. My pick for switches will be mids and treble up for max non fatiguing resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back