AÜR AUDIO IEMs
Mar 14, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #3,047 of 3,658
If you could only pick up a Neon pro or an Ascension, which would you lean to? I haven't heard either, but the reviews of both seem glowing and I am curious.... My current go-to IEM is a DUNU SA6MkII
What do you like about the SA6 and what would you want to be different?

Personally I would go with the Ascension if you plan on keeping the MKII, otherwise you will have 2 all BA sets. Nothing wrong with that, i just prefer variety in my driver setups

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #3,048 of 3,658
If you could only pick up a Neon pro or an Ascension, which would you lean to? I haven't heard either, but the reviews of both seem glowing and I am curious.... My current go-to IEM is a DUNU SA6MkII

This is the first question we need the answer to:
What do you like about the SA6 and what would you want to be different?

Personally I would go with the Ascension if you plan on keeping the MKII, otherwise you will have 2 all BA sets. Nothing wrong with that, i just prefer variety in my driver setups

And second one would be, what are your go-to genres?

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #3,049 of 3,658
This is the first question we need the answer to:

And second one would be, what are your go-to genres?
I love just about everything about the SA6MkII, but I want a little more flavor and emotion to the mid-range and bass. The treble is basically perfect to me. I usually buy a new set, and if I don't have a place for the old one anymore I sell it. I am not super attached based on driver type, depending on the set.

For music taste I am really all over the place. J pop, Alt rock, instrumental metal, jazz, folk-punk, VGM, and some EDM for the most part. I don't have one library that I stick with.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #3,050 of 3,658
I love just about everything about the SA6MkII, but I want a little more flavor and emotion to the mid-range and bass. The treble is basically perfect to me. I usually buy a new set, and if I don't have a place for the old one anymore I sell it. I am not super attached based on driver type, depending on the set.

For music taste I am really all over the place. J pop, Alt rock, instrumental metal, jazz, folk-punk, VGM, and some EDM for the most part. I don't have one library that I stick with.

So you want an all-rounder and it needs to beat the SA6 Mk. II and replace it by having better bass. I would probably say neither:

Ascension sounds delightful and could be worth challenging, but it’s fitment is a terror. It’s had driver flex complaints and I personally struggled badly to match a tip that got Ascension to work with my ears. The amount of effort needed was not worth the sound quality imo.

Neon Pro may have a bass performance that could be of interest but you’ll be getting a more energetic sound profile. You’ll be trading a lot of what you love about SA6 and making a different set of compromises. It’s more of a preferential sidegrade, not an upgrade.

Just my thoughts.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #3,051 of 3,658

Never tried the SA6 MK2, but going from measurement and impressions from a friend: Neon Pro is higher resolving with more meaty bass and more midrange energy, feel like a more high end IEM in comparison.
I also can agree with Goober that NP can be more of a sidegrade instead of an upgrade, as they have quite different tuning on measurements.
I had the original SA6 and found NP a big step up in tuning and technicalities, but gen 1 and 2 of SA6 is different.

Ascension is a totally different sound signature than NP, more relaxed. Would call it more mature sounding and organic.
Ascension is in my top 3 that I own together with Bonneville and Miroak-II.

Ascension sounds delightful and could be worth challenging, but it’s fitment is a terror. It’s had driver flex complaints and I personally struggled badly to match a tip that got Ascension to work with my ears. The amount of effort needed was not worth the sound quality imo.

The fitment issues on Ascension is very personal, had mine away for some weeks now. Got it back today, put on my large Baroque tips and its a perfect fit going two hours now without any pain. But I am on the different side of IEM fitment issues, had to get rid of plenty sets due to to small nozzles or short nozzles (Simgot, Timsok)

This is actually third pair I'm trying of Ascension, none of them had any driver flex. As I understand it has only been one issue of driver flex?

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #3,052 of 3,658
So you want an all-rounder and it needs to beat the SA6 Mk. II and replace it by having better bass. I would probably say neither:

Neon Pro may have a bass performance that could be of interest but you’ll be getting a more energetic sound profile. You’ll be trading a lot of what you love about SA6 and making a different set of compromises. It’s more of a preferential sidegrade, not an upgrade.

Just my thoughts.
Hm, putting Ascension in such a bad light about its fit based on personal experience is a bit irrational. Sure, there are sets where everyone agrees their fit is compromised, ..Khhhm, IER Z1R ..Khmm ... but Ascension is very ergonomic for the majority. Almost a custom-like shell.

Yes, NP is very different to SA6mk2 probably. Could be interesting to own both. Calmer SA6 and a wild but tasteful NP.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #3,053 of 3,658
The fitment issues on Ascension is very personal, had mine away for some weeks now. Got it back today, put on my large Baroque tips and its a perfect fit going two hours now without any pain. But I am on the different side of IEM fitment issues, had to get rid of plenty sets due to to small nozzles or short nozzles

Absolutely.

I don't even have my set of Ascension yet but based on my experience with the Neon Pro and other IEM that fit me well and the fact that I use large tips even on deep fit IEM I can tell just from a pictures that they will fit me with no issue and the fat nozzle does not concern me in the slightest

I will eat my hat if proven wrong !

I also hate short nozzle sets due to the fit issues they create for me.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #3,054 of 3,658
This is actually third pair I'm trying of Ascension, none of them had any driver flex. As I understand it has only been one issue of driver flex?
so far it only seems like I have had driver flex issues? I toured my set in our group so both @MMag1983 and @gooberbm tried my personal set. Both had some trouble with fit but I know @MMag1983 didn't experience the driver flex I did. Did you get any driver flex @gooberbm?

I too had fitment issues but they were all related to avoiding the driver flex and not around comfort or security. I ended up landing on using foam tips cause I hate driver flex that much lol.

As far as sound is concerned I would also agree with @Leonarfd and @gooberbm.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #3,055 of 3,658
Hm, putting Ascension in such a bad light about its fit based on personal experience is a bit irrational. Sure, there are sets where everyone agrees their fit is compromised, ..Khhhm, IER Z1R ..Khmm ... but Ascension is very ergonomic for the majority. Almost a custom-like shell.
I would disagree about it being irrational. While the shell is custom like the nozzle _can_ be a major issue. Especially for people who already use MS or smaller tips. For instance you cant even fit a small Dunu S&S on it. The nozzle width is wider than the actual tip and you end up creating essentially a silicon sleeve for the nozzle.

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #3,056 of 3,658
so far it only seems like I have had driver flex issues? I toured my set in our group so both @MMag1983 and @gooberbm tried my personal set. Both had some trouble with fit but I know @MMag1983 didn't experience the driver flex I did. Did you get any driver flex @gooberbm?

I too had fitment issues but they were all related to avoiding the driver flex and not around comfort or security. I ended up landing on using foam tips cause I hate driver flex that much lol.

As far as sound is concerned I would also agree with @Leonarfd and @gooberbm.
Never try the CFA Bonneville, one of the worst sets I have tried when regarding driver flex. But I ignore the problem, as I love the sound too much lol.

Fitment is very important of IEMs, worst is getting pain when using them. Why I am not in the headphones stuff anymore, had irritation either from ears touching grills or just the insane heat even with vented open backs... Big ear problems. But none of that is a problem on IEMs, here its positive to have larger ears instead.

Still use headphones, but easy that it take away some enjoyment from the music.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #3,057 of 3,658
I would disagree about it being irrational. While the shell is custom like the nozzle _can_ be a major issue. Especially for people who already use MS or smaller tips. For instance you cant even fit a small Dunu S&S on it. The nozzle width is wider than the actual tip and you end up creating essentially a silicon sleeve for the nozzle.

Certainly but it would be appropriate to provide a little more information for context.

Does one have small ear canals so the fit was an issue ?

What size tips does one usually use ?

What other sets are a persons preference for comfort ?

Saying the fit is a terror and the sonic quality is not worth the effort related to fit is a little far reaching as a general statement without a decent amount of detail for context ..... in my opinion but YMMV :relaxed:

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #3,058 of 3,658
Never try the CFA Bonneville, one of the worst sets I have tried when regarding driver flex. But I ignore the problem, as I love the sound too much lol.

Fitment is very important of IEMs, worst is getting pain when using them. Why I am not in the headphones stuff anymore, had irritation either from ears touching grills or just the insane heat even with vented open backs... Big ear problems. But none of that is a problem on IEMs, here its positive to have larger ears instead.

My new Solaris sound like somebody is crushing a stiff plastic bag behind my head every time I insert them.

And because they are shallow fitting for me I am forced to use Penon Liqueur tips that seal like a mofo so the driver flex is worse than usual. I can't use foams because even with large size they don't seal and the sound is thin and anemic.

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #3,059 of 3,658
Going to loan Alita again, and also write a review for it. Outside of Ascension it was perhaps my faovorite AüR IEM, just couldn't justify owning 2 all BA sets when I preffer DDs in general.

1710450565756.png

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #3,060 of 3,658
Thanks both for your feedback! I was not aware of the driver flex issues with the ascension, but it does sound like it would fit what I am looking for in sound profile.

The best IEM fit I have ever had was the Blessing 2 Dusk, but that thing destroyed every pair of tips I put on it.... I've never heard of the Baroque tips though. What I usually use is the Tangzu or divinius tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back