AÜR AUDIO IEMs
Dec 28, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #2,686 of 3,539
Compared a lot last days, I can share some now. The Ascension has something from all of the previous models.
Bass that has the nice texture of Aurora, but the amount is more like NP with more sub bass.
Mids that more or less is a mix of Aure and Aurora.
Highs that are similar as NP in amount and clarity, but has more air.

I would say that Ascension is a W shaped signature, very rich and engaging sound.

Reads as if this one could sound like a(nother) winner then... Looking even more forward to receive mine with the next batch.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #2,688 of 3,539
I have had enough time and did some back and forth to give a few thoughts and compare to the Aure. Mind you this is all preliminary and I still need to do a proper assessment.

When I first got the Ascension I was solely listening to the Aure and while you can tell they share some similarity in DNA it was quite a far departure from the Aure. This led to a lukewarm reception but I gave them time to burn in and I gotta say I am glad I did. the Ascension's stage quite deep and I definitely get a sense of sound coming from far left and right to the point where they are almost behind me. Vocals are pushed further back, especially compared to the Aure. imo the bass and mids are the star of the show for the Ascension. As @Leonarfd mentioned the bass has a similar quality to the Aurora but more elevated in both sub and mid bass. I would say the sub bass in the Aure is superior but I think thats mainly because its lack of mid bass really emphasis' the sub bass on that set. Mids feel like almost an exact match with the Aurora. They have that unique warmth and presence that the is well regarded in the Aurora but then the Ascension keeps going well into the treble, giving you great extension and air on top. My biggest gripes with the Aurora were the lack of treble and relatively subdued bass which the Ascension addresses in spades.

Not everything is rosy though. I will say the added warmth results in a hit on clarity and separation, at least compared to the Aure. On top of that the fit is actually a bigger issue than I first thought. The bigger nozzles and lack of lip make most of my favorite tips useless. Dunu S&S as well as Spinfit W1s pop right off when I pull the set out of my ear. My other go tos have too small of a stem diameter causing even the smallest tips to expand too much to fit comfortably. Foams have worked well but they irritate my ears too much for longer listening sessions. Then there is the driver flex and pressure build up which can start to cause pain after 30 minutes. I think thats a me issue though cause it only affects my right ear. My left ear has no issue with any tips used.

When comparing more directly with the Aure I think if you prefer forward vocals with great sub bass then the Aure may be a better option or at least on par with the Ascension. Where the Ascension beats out is with its added warmth and mid bass along with overall technicalities.

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #2,689 of 3,539
For my own experience, while it is harder to fit the eartips into the Ascension due to its larger nozzle, I still managed to fit all the eartips I have. I didn't experience Spinfit W1 popping out, lucky for me. In comparison, I have more problems fitting eartips into my Tansio RGB.

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #2,690 of 3,539
For my own experience, while it is harder to fit the eartips into the Ascension due to its larger nozzle, I still managed to fit all the eartips I have. I didn't experience Spinfit W1 popping out, lucky for me. In comparison, I have more problems fitting eartips into my Tansio RGB.
Damn that is lucky cause I love the W1s! They seal so well with the Ascensions but are so comfy. The problem is pulling them out is like pulling a plunger and a third of the time they stay in my ear

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #2,691 of 3,539
I’m currently using the basic Spinfit, and they’re just amazing. W1 is also good, but I prefer less sticky surface of cp100(or 100+ or 150? Not sure, they’re pretty old)

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #2,692 of 3,539
soundstage and separation?

I have not been interested to say to much yet, since stage depth and width is often quite personal. And I still find that I'm in the new toy phase.

I find stage more 3D than NP and that it goes more to he sides and behind, depth very similar.

As for separation and clarity it's pretty good, yeah I know it's vague 😂 give me more time.

Soundstage depth/spacious
Ascension - NP - Aurora - Aure

Soundstage 3D/circular
Aure - Ascension - NP- Aurora

When comparing more directly with the Aure I think if you prefer forward vocals with great sub bass then the Aure may be a better option or at least on par with the Ascension. Where the Ascension beats out is with its added warmth and mid bass along with overall technicalities.

Aure and Aurora is both great at vocals, personally I prefer Aure as its more lush. Maybe also since the Aure have the DD work on the whole frequency not just the bass.

Ascension vs Aure is more difficult, both are good and sounds different also. I prefer Ascension the most, it sounds richer and more spacious.
I have more intimate time with Aure, specially on females. Voices are very close and almost in your face/head, some would maybe say it as negative but I love it as its special and unique. Almost romantical.

I think for you @ssantan2 stage is different for you on Aure?

I often don't like talk to much about stage, as it seems like it's so very different for people.

I have been using medium tips instead of large, I can use Large but I can get sore then after a while.

Have tried plenty tips, W1, 07, Type E, Velvet, S&S, T-APB, Clarion and Baroque.

Favorites are T-APB and Baroque, they have a very similar sound and help the Ascension get maximum clarity and stage without compromising on low end.

Honorable mention to Divinus Velvet also, but I lack M/L size and only have Large. So I haven't used it as much, but it's very similar to the other two.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #2,693 of 3,539
Compared a lot last days, I can share some now. The Ascension has something from all of the previous models.
Bass that has the nice texture of Aurora, but the amount is more like NP with more sub bass.
Mids that more or less is a mix of Aure and Aurora.
Highs that are similar as NP in amount and clarity, but has more air.

I would say that Ascension is a W shaped signature, very rich and engaging sound.

I agree that Ascension has a W shaped signature, very balanced. The bass for me is great and ample, in fact when I paired Ascension with a silver cable, I find the mid bass a bit too strong for me and distracted me from the vocal music. I also think that while the soundstage is not as big as my other iems (softears turii ti and Tansio RGB), its imaging is excellent and allows me to pinpoint the instruments and voices very well.

Dec 29, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #2,695 of 3,539
I was also lukewarm when getting Ascension, I guess my expectations where different.

My previous tribrid being DTE900, a powerhouse of a IEM. It has also occupied most my listening time as of late. It has a sound that can blow you of your chair with first listen. Visceral bass and a energetic tonality.

Ascension where quite different and less in your face, more refined and less energetic.
So it took some days to fall in love with Ascension compared to DTE900.

But after a week now I clearly prefer the Ascension, it's also fun and warm sounding but more refined and airy.
But it will not replace DTE900 as they are so different, both are excellent and some of the best I have tried under 1000usd.

There will never be a best IEM, it's always down to taste. While some might argue NP is the king of metal 😉

1000020489.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #2,696 of 3,539
There will never be a best IEM, it's always down to taste. While some might argue NP is the king of metal 😉
Completely agreed with all that 😆

But, how is Ascension with metal? You know I think Aurora is not good enough with metal, it lacks speed and energy where is needed (bass and treble)

Dec 29, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #2,697 of 3,539
I think for you @ssantan2 stage is different for you on Aure?
I would agree with everything you said honestly. When I first started this hobby I always looked for sets that had a "big stage" cause I thought that was a sign of superiority but after trying the Aure I threw that notion away. It's stage is intimate and vocals are right on you and I love it. I think the negativity comes from the fact that if you have a small stage you need even better pinpoint imaging or everything mushes together and sounds bad. With the Aure imaging and that 3Dness hit my ear so well that I don't need a bigger stage to compensate.

I do think that is why I had a rocky start with the Ascension. It's stage is bigger and vocals are deeper which is no longer my preference.

As for tips, I think the issue for me is that my right ear usually uses a small or medium small so with the bigger nozzle there isn't really room to downsize. My left ear usually uses a ms or m so smalls work well with the Ascension

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #2,698 of 3,539
Have been enjoying the Ascension with post-rock. The stage works really well for this kind of music.

Jan 1, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #2,699 of 3,539
Happy New Year to all!

Here were my initial impressions when auditioning the Ascension (~USD730, 1DD 5BA 2EST) prior to my purchase.

My Ascension came in yesterday and having gone on an adventure through my playlists… this has only solidified my opinion that the Ascension is beyond amazing. I am fortunate to have the luxury of auditioning several mid-fi to flagships in the heart of Singapore every now and then; this is useful for giving some context to the latest and greatest in the portable audio scene. While I admit that auditory memory is largely unreliable in the absence of A/B comparisons, personal notes on what I typically lookout for should still hold some grounds for where I'd rank these among all that I've tried.

photo_2024-01-01_20-54-41.jpg

All testing was done via Ascension (with Azla Sednaearfit Shorts for the thick bores) -> Athena cable -> JDS Labs E3 Mk2 (4.4mm version)
  • I mostly used the previously released Aurora for the sweet vocals of acoustic tracks. While being able to competitively handle complex arrangements with fine articulation, the relaxed treble and pillow-ey bass (in comparison) do not accurately convey the energy of fast-paced rock and metal which are the mainstay of my music library.
  • Both Ascension and Aurora are clearly not meant for bassheads but are certainly aimed at providing a "fun analytical" and "relaxed analytical" presentation respectively.
  • Since tuning an IEM is a balancing act, I haven't heard many products that manage to strike such a fine balance throughout the whole FR. The Ascension does precisely this, which might be arguably more challenging to accomplish.

• In terms of tuning, the Ascension essentially "fixes" the Aurora's weaknesses for my music preferences
  • (A) The treble is better extended, but conservatively so - just right. In today's market, there seems to be a trend to overly boost the upper treble "air" frequencies for detail in the name of extension. To my ears, said IEMs won't sound outrightly sharp but end up being fatiguing in the short to medium term as if there were some sort of nauseating ringing. The Ascension has achieved a tasteful amount of extension in boats without the associated fatigue for my tolerance.
  • (B) In my initial impressions, the bass wasn't a standout feature during my short audition. However I can now say that it delivers impact when needed. Quantity is sufficient for a level of "fun", with impressive technique in its quality. There is some heaviness behind its punches for bass heavy songs. For songs without distinct synthetic bass beats, I can accurately discern the power and fine detail behind the growl of the bass guitar lines, all within a busy 4-5 piece band mix - impressive. The N54 magnet DD also seems to be working its magic in the midrange, giving a "heftiness" to it which was absent in the Aurora. The only other IEM to have given me this sensation is the 64 Audio Volur on the m20 module, maybe because both use the new-fangled N54 magnet DD for the lows.
  • (C) Lastly for the mids, the relative lack of ear gain on the Aurora makes me want to turn the volume up to "hear clearer" on fast-paced tracks - but only to get uncomfortable loudness in return. On the other hand, I can set the Ascension to play at a comfortable volume for long periods. This is even more impressive as the Ascension is not smooth-sounding and instead takes on an intensely detailed presentation. It nails the balance of energy within the midrange hence there is no need to crank up the volume to compensate for anything; set it and forget it.
photo_2024-01-01_20-54-47.jpg

• Apart from tuning, the Ascension excels in these 3 main aspects:
  • (1) Coherence - The "heftiness" of the DD's impact blends perfectly with the BAs and ESTs. The other IEM which does this blend perfectly is the Symphonium Triton; but the Triton's overall timbre (even in the bass) felt more skewed towards the plasticky side of the BAs.
  • (2) Timbre - With the "heftiness/heaviness" and excellent coherence mentioned above, I cannot discern any dreaded plasticky BA timbre.
  • (3) Technicals - resolution, layering and imaging are top-tier.
  • The overall cohesiveness in the blend of frequencies culminates in somewhat of a true speaker-like presentation to my ears, when drawing upon limited experience in a treated room with some HEDD stereo monitors. This is extremely subjective, I recall other IEMs marketed to be so but do not sound anything like that to me. Nobody is wrong - we all just perceive things differently.

• Regardless of price, you could ask me to list a complaint/con of any IEM I've tried and I could probably give you at least a couple of things on its sonic quality I feel could better suit my taste. I do not have any negatives or even nitpicks on the Ascension for now - I'm well aware this could change in a week or month but we'll see. Perhaps the Ascension fits my HRTF to a tee, but there simply isn't a deficiency or excess in quantity of bass-mids-treble for myself.
  • I might do an update when any significant negatives come up eventually. This is not to say that the Ascension is perfect for all; the Ascension excels in the tuning direction Abel envisioned for a balanced signature prioritising sheer transparency. I do not think it is fair to state negatives such as "not for bassheads" since it was not designed to be so. It's like a flathead earbud review which reads "lacks isolation" in the negatives…
photo_2024-01-01_20-54-51.jpg

• Having Ascension and Aurora (~580USD, 2DD 6BA) in my collection, they complement each other well. Unless you're an avid collector, I would whole-heartedly recommend just getting the Ascension which is a league above.
  • Having said that, I suspect that the relatively small difference in price between the Ascension and Aurora may reverse-cannibalise AuR's own more affordable Aurora. The Aurora remains a great IEM for the price but the Ascension is a mile ahead, being an amazing IEM at any price.
  • What about versus the similarly priced Neon Pro? I've only tried it twice and I'm not the best person to advise. I'm sure that there are other users on this thread who can better answer that. From my limited experience, my takeaways were that (1) NP can get much bassier with the switch for those who want a good thumping and (2) unlike Ascension, NP still has a hint of BA timbre; likely made apparent from how bassy it could get using just the BA woofers. Having the chance to do a short comparison when trying the Ascension, the Ascension is still way up my alley.

AuR has truly ascended solidified itself among the greats with this new release, with another banger alongside the NP. If "analytical fun" is up your alley, the price to performance here is unbeatable. I've long given up the idea of an endgame but the Ascension has taken its place as my main reference in my rotation, hopefully it'll scratch my upgrade itch for a little while.

Does this make me a shill? Reading back upon my word salad, maybe. But hey, don't take my word for it. Take other impressions which don’t read as strongly as mine into account… and form your own opinion if you get the chance! All I can say is that the Ascension is truly something special and I see this as an absolute win for us consumers.

Now here are a couple of snaps showcasing how the Ascension's holographic faceplate changes under subtle changes in lighting. It doesn't look this intense under normal lighting conditions as seen in other photos. I love that it mostly looks black from afar but shimmers upon closer inspection. I don't think there's anything else on the market that looks as unique as this. Kudos to Abel on the design.

photo_2024-01-01_20-54-27.jpg

photo_2024-01-01_20-54-38.jpg

Couldn't resist taking a few more of the Aurora while I had my photog setup going.

photo_2024-01-01_20-54-59.jpg

photo_2024-01-01_20-55-02.jpg

photo_2024-01-01_20-55-05.jpg

Happy to discuss and answer any questions :)

photo_2024-01-01_20-54-54.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #2,700 of 3,539
Happy New Year to all!

Here were my initial impressions when auditioning the Ascension (~USD730, 1DD 5BA 2EST) prior to my purchase.

My Ascension came in yesterday and having gone on an adventure through my playlists… this has only solidified my opinion that the Ascension is beyond amazing. I am fortunate to have the luxury of auditioning several mid-fi to flagships in the heart of Singapore every now and then; this is useful for giving some context to the latest and greatest in the portable audio scene. While I admit that auditory memory is largely unreliable in the absence of A/B comparisons, personal notes on what I typically lookout for should still hold some grounds for where I'd rank these among all that I've tried.

photo_2024-01-01_20-54-41.jpg

All testing was done via Ascension (with Azla Sednaearfit Shorts for the thick bores) -> Athena cable -> JDS Labs E3 Mk2 (4.4mm version)
  • I mostly used the previously released Aurora for the sweet vocals of acoustic tracks. While being able to competitively handle complex arrangements with fine articulation, the relaxed treble and pillow-ey bass (in comparison) do not accurately convey the energy of fast-paced rock and metal which are the mainstay of my music library.
  • Both Ascension and Aurora are clearly not meant for bassheads but are certainly aimed at providing a "fun analytical" and "relaxed analytical" presentation respectively.
  • Since tuning an IEM is a balancing act, I haven't heard many products that manage to strike such a fine balance throughout the whole FR. The Ascension does precisely this, which might be arguably more challenging to accomplish.

• In terms of tuning, the Ascension essentially "fixes" the Aurora's weaknesses for my music preferences
  • (A) The treble is better extended, but conservatively so - just right. In today's market, there seems to be a trend to overly boost the upper treble "air" frequencies for detail in the name of extension. To my ears, said IEMs won't sound outrightly sharp but end up being fatiguing in the short to medium term as if there were some sort of nauseating ringing. The Ascension has achieved a tasteful amount of extension in boats without the associated fatigue for my tolerance.
  • (B) In my initial impressions, the bass wasn't a standout feature during my short audition. However I can now say that it delivers impact when needed. Quantity is sufficient for a level of "fun", with impressive technique in its quality. There is some heaviness behind its punches for bass heavy songs. For songs without distinct synthetic bass beats, I can accurately discern the power and fine detail behind the growl of the bass guitar lines, all within a busy 4-5 piece band mix - impressive. The N54 magnet DD also seems to be working its magic in the midrange, giving a "heftiness" to it which was absent in the Aurora. The only other IEM to have given me this sensation is the 64 Audio Volur on the m20 module, maybe because both use the new-fangled N54 magnet DD for the lows.
  • (C) Lastly for the mids, the relative lack of ear gain on the Aurora makes me want to turn the volume up to "hear clearer" on fast-paced tracks - but only to get uncomfortable loudness in return. On the other hand, I can set the Ascension to play at a comfortable volume for long periods. This is even more impressive as the Ascension is not smooth-sounding and instead takes on an intensely detailed presentation. It nails the balance of energy within the midrange hence there is no need to crank up the volume to compensate for anything; set it and forget it.
photo_2024-01-01_20-54-47.jpg
  • Apart from tuning, the Ascension excels in these 3 main aspects:
  • (1) Coherence - The "heftiness" of the DD's impact blends perfectly with the BAs and ESTs. The other IEM which does this blend perfectly is the Symphonium Triton; but the Triton's overall timbre (even in the bass) felt more skewed towards the plasticky side of the BAs.
  • (2) Timbre - With the "heftiness/heaviness" and excellent coherence mentioned above, I cannot discern any dreaded plasticky BA timbre.
  • (3) Technicals - resolution, layering and imaging are top-tier.
  • The overall cohesiveness in the blend of frequencies culminates in somewhat of a true speaker-like presentation to my ears, when drawing upon limited experience in a treated room with some HEDD stereo monitors. This is extremely subjective, I recall other IEMs marketed to be so but do not sound anything like that to me. Nobody is wrong - we all just perceive things differently.

• Regardless of price, you could ask me to list a complaint/con of any IEM I've tried and I could probably give you at least a couple of things on its sonic quality I feel could better suit my taste. I do not have any negatives or even nitpicks on the Ascension for now - I'm well aware this could change in a week or month but we'll see. Perhaps the Ascension fits my HRTF to a tee, but there simply isn't a deficiency or excess in quantity of bass-mids-treble for myself.
  • I might do an update when any significant negatives come up eventually. This is not to say that the Ascension is perfect for all; the Ascension excels in the tuning direction Abel envisioned for a balanced signature prioritising sheer transparency. I do not think it is fair to state negatives such as "not for bassheads" since it was not designed to be so. It's like a flathead earbud review which reads "lacks isolation" in the negatives…
photo_2024-01-01_20-54-51.jpg
  • Having Ascension and Aurora (~580USD, 2DD 6BA) in my collection, they complement each other well. Unless you're an avid collector, I would whole-heartedly recommend just getting the Ascension which is a league above.
  • Having said that, I suspect that the relatively small difference in price between the Ascension and Aurora may reverse-cannibalise AuR's own more affordable Aurora. The Aurora remains a great IEM for the price but the Ascension is a mile ahead, being an amazing IEM at any price.
  • What about versus the similarly priced Neon Pro? I've only tried it twice and I'm not the best person to advise. I'm sure that there are other users on this thread who can better answer that. From my limited experience, my takeaways were that (1) NP can get much bassier with the switch for those who want a good thumping and (2) unlike Ascension, NP still has a hint of BA timbre; likely made apparent from how bassy it could get using just the BA woofers. Having the chance to do a short comparison when trying the Ascension, the Ascension is still way up my alley.

AuR has truly ascended solidified itself among the greats with this new release, with another banger alongside the NP. If "analytical fun" is up your alley, the price to performance here is unbeatable. I've long given up the idea of an endgame but the Ascension has taken its place as my main reference in my rotation, hopefully it'll scratch my upgrade itch for a little while.

Does this make me a shill? Reading back upon my word salad, maybe. But hey, don't take my word for it. Take other impressions which don’t read as strongly as mine into account… and form your own opinion if you get the chance! All I can say is that the Ascension is truly something special and I see this as an absolute win for us consumers.

Now here are a couple of snaps showcasing how the Ascension's holographic faceplate changes under subtle changes in lighting. It doesn't look this intense under normal lighting conditions as seen in other photos. I love that it mostly looks black from afar but shimmers upon closer inspection. I don't think there's anything else on the market that looks as unique as this. Kudos to Abel on the design.

photo_2024-01-01_20-54-27.jpg
photo_2024-01-01_20-54-38.jpg

Couldn't resist taking a few more of the Aurora while I had my photog setup going.

photo_2024-01-01_20-54-59.jpg
photo_2024-01-01_20-55-02.jpg
photo_2024-01-01_20-55-05.jpg

Happy to discuss and answer any questions :)

photo_2024-01-01_20-54-54.jpg
Nice impressions and awesome photos.

Been writing alot on the review for Ascension the past days. Much of what you say here reflect what I also say. Look forward to more impressions later when you had it more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back