AÜR AUDIO IEMs
Nov 24, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #2,371 of 3,539
I think the IE600 are very good in their own right but no doubt the Neon Pro is technically superior and for the same money.

That said sound is very subjective and I could see somebody enjoying the IE600 more.

Interesting, at least to me, aside. I pulled out my Shanling MG600 single 10mm DD and added it into my little comparison. That reinforced for me that this seemingly little known IEM is very good, I would say to my ear it outdoes the IE600, the bass is very similar, perhaps not quite as nuanced but the treble is not as peaky and sounds that become sibilant on the IE600 stay crisp and under control on the MG600. Overall probably comparable performance depending on your taste and preferences for slightly less money. I liked it enough again to order another Effect Audio cable for them !

Good news is of course the NP still comes out on top.
I remember how 1DD hype started with Dita Truth ($1k-ish) and then Dream(>$2k). I listened to them quite extensively and did not understand why they cost 20x of Dunu Titan or almost 10x of Periodic Audio offerings at that time.

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #2,372 of 3,539
I remember how 1DD hype started with Dita Truth ($1k-ish) and then Dream(>$2k). I listened to them quite extensively and did not understand why they cost 20x of Dunu Titan or almost 10x of Periodic Audio offerings at that time.

Isn’t that just diminishing returns as is so true in a lot of this hobby ? I certainly take your point though.

When I was messing with the IEM I talked about above, I also pulled out my Letshuoer S12. Frankly in real world terms they were not a great deal different to any of the others despite costing 4 to 5 times less and I am sure if someone didn’t know prices, wasn’t concerned about the subtle nuances that we get concerned about and had no expectations they might easily prefer them over any of the others.

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #2,373 of 3,539
First Ascension impressions by Dexter Loh from the AüR FB page:

"Got myself an Arianna cable to pair with Aurora and Nicholas kindly brought along his Ascension to our meetup for demo.

Ascension
Not as much bass as I was expecting when I saw the graph pre-audition. Despite the gentle downsloping mid-bass, it follows the same vein as Aurora, prioritising speed and texture over middle/upper bass slam.
For context, the Neon Pro with bass switch off will still sound much bassier due to larger presence of middle and upper-bass.
The new custom DD AuR got for this unit did an excellent job rendering tight basslines. Will need to wait for my personal unit and listen longer in a quiet environment to determine bass quality in greater detail.
It may be well established that the Aurora is more for "relaxed listening". If you thought the Aurora was lacking in highs, the ascension "fixes" this with ESTs which pull out SO MUCH micro-detail and nuance without being sharp or shouty. With effortless separation to boot, Abel did an amazing job achieving that detailed and clarity-driven sound.
To best describe the mids and treble, I'll say that it's "natural with microscopic detail". This is the set to get if you're the type to plug-in, stare into blank space and zone out analysing your favourite busy tracks
I've got to be very careful with my words here. Being fortunate to have tried detail powerhouses and flagships such as the U12t, Rn6, Anni, DIVA, STORM, Helios and Crimson several times, all I can say is that speaking strictly for myself… I do not feel like the Ascension is lacking next to them purely from a technical standpoint.
While I have already my thoughts, I dare not make bold written claims regarding "which is better" without A/B comparisons. However it is without a doubt that the Ascension is competent enough to hold its ground in today's big boi market.
I'll reiterate that the above is exclusively with regard to my perception of technical performance, your personal preference toward the tuning balance of bass-mids-treble is a separate matter altogether.
There you go I've said it. I strongly feel that it is important to offer this perspective due to the lack of opportunities to audition AuR products. Gems like these are truly a win for us consumers.
I myself have voted with my wallet, placing my order with paired with Athena cable right after this audition - it was not a difficult decision.

I'm not really a cable connoisseur myself but for those curious about the differences between EOH, Athena and the stock cable; Athena and Arianna are quite a big upgrade from the stock cable. Perceived stage is larger and more immersive due to the blacker background. The Arianna single-handedly makes the relaxed Aurora quite a revealing set, definitely worth the upgrade for me.

Nicholas also let me try the EOH. It clearly has an even blacker background with more nuanced separation than Athena/Arianna but you know… diminishing returns and all. I still think Athena/Arianna are the way to go in terms of value-for-money with little to no compromises in performance. Just super solid cables for the price. The cherry on top? Their ergonomics for are excellent despite being a full-on 8-wire braid, no stiffness to be found. This is arguably more important than the sonic component to me.

Well done to Abel Hsu and Nicholas Teo for the launch of this amazing product!"

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #2,374 of 3,539

"Got myself an Arianna cable to pair with Aurora and Nicholas kindly brought along his Ascension to our meetup for demo.

Ascension
Not as much bass as I was expecting when I saw the graph pre-audition. Despite the gentle downsloping mid-bass, it follows the same vein as Aurora, prioritising speed and texture over middle/upper bass slam.
For context, the Neon Pro with bass switch off will still sound much bassier due to larger presence of middle and upper-bass.
The new custom DD AuR got for this unit did an excellent job rendering tight basslines. Will need to wait for my personal unit and listen longer in a quiet environment to determine bass quality in greater detail.
It may be well established that the Aurora is more for "relaxed listening". If you thought the Aurora was lacking in highs, the ascension "fixes" this with ESTs which pull out SO MUCH micro-detail and nuance without being sharp or shouty. With effortless separation to boot, Abel did an amazing job achieving that detailed and clarity-driven sound.
To best describe the mids and treble, I'll say that it's "natural with microscopic detail". This is the set to get if you're the type to plug-in, stare into blank space and zone out analysing your favourite busy tracks
I've got to be very careful with my words here. Being fortunate to have tried detail powerhouses and flagships such as the U12t, Rn6, Anni, DIVA, STORM, Helios and Crimson several times, all I can say is that speaking strictly for myself… I do not feel like the Ascension is lacking next to them purely from a technical standpoint.
While I have already my thoughts, I dare not make bold written claims regarding "which is better" without A/B comparisons. However it is without a doubt that the Ascension is competent enough to hold its ground in today's big boi market.
I'll reiterate that the above is exclusively with regard to my perception of technical performance, your personal preference toward the tuning balance of bass-mids-treble is a separate matter altogether.
There you go I've said it. I strongly feel that it is important to offer this perspective due to the lack of opportunities to audition AuR products. Gems like these are truly a win for us consumers.
I myself have voted with my wallet, placing my order with paired with Athena cable right after this audition - it was not a difficult decision.

I'm not really a cable connoisseur myself but for those curious about the differences between EOH, Athena and the stock cable; Athena and Arianna are quite a big upgrade from the stock cable. Perceived stage is larger and more immersive due to the blacker background. The Arianna single-handedly makes the relaxed Aurora quite a revealing set, definitely worth the upgrade for me.

Nicholas also let me try the EOH. It clearly has an even blacker background with more nuanced separation than Athena/Arianna but you know… diminishing returns and all. I still think Athena/Arianna are the way to go in terms of value-for-money with little to no compromises in performance. Just super solid cables for the price. The cherry on top? Their ergonomics for are excellent despite being a full-on 8-wire braid, no stiffness to be found. This is arguably more important than the sonic component to me.

Thanks for sharing! In love with everything I read except the bass not having more slam than the Aurora 😔 I really wanted that to be the case.

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #2,375 of 3,539
Thanks for sharing! In love with everything I read except the bass not having more slam than the Aurora 😔 I really wanted that to be the case.
Well, who knows until we can hear for ourselves, tip roll etc.
Prioritising speed and texture does not sound bad to me though. Even less presence in mid and upper bass might be to my liking in the end as I am sensible to bass bleeding...

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #2,376 of 3,539

Ascension

Reminds me of how Monarch MK II sounds. That was not really my cup of tea, anemic bass and all that.

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #2,378 of 3,539
Well, who knows until we can hear for ourselves, tip roll etc.
Prioritising speed and texture does not sound bad to me though. Even less presence in mid and upper bass might be to my liking in the end as I am sensible to bass bleeding...
But I really wouldn't classify Aurora's bass as speedy at all. It rumbles and decays wonderfully, but fast it is not. Attack is lacking. Nonetheless, if it's a technically advanced Aurora I'm all for it! 😄

Nov 26, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #2,379 of 3,539
Looks like somebody managed to share my impressions of the Ascension (1DD 5BA 2EST, ~USD716) here before me :joy:

Wanted to share some pictures and additional thoughts for fellow Head-fiers.

Here's the original post for context
Got myself an Arianna cable 8W copper cable to pair with Aurora and Nicholas kindly brought along his Ascension to our meetup for demo.

Ascension Impressions
  • Not as much bass as I was expecting when I saw the graph pre-audition. Despite the gentle downsloping mid-bass, it follows the same vein as Aurora, prioritising speed and texture over middle/upper bass slam.
  • For context, the Neon Pro with bass switch off will still sound much bassier due to larger presence of middle and upper-bass.
  • The new custom DD AuR got for this unit did an excellent job rendering tight basslines. Will need to wait for my personal unit and listen longer in a quiet environment to determine bass quality in greater detail.
  • It may be well established that the Aurora is more for "relaxed listening". If you thought the Aurora was lacking in highs, the ascension "fixes" this with ESTs which pull out SO MUCH micro-detail and nuance without being sharp or shouty. With effortless separation to boot, Abel did an amazing job achieving that detailed and clarity-driven sound.
  • To best describe the mids and treble, I'll say that it's "natural with microscopic detail". This is the set to get if you're the type to plug-in, stare into blank space and zone out analysing your favourite busy tracks
  • I've got to be very careful with my words here. Being fortunate to have tried detail powerhouses and flagships such as the U12t, Rn6, Anni, DIVA, STORM, Helios and Crimson several times, all I can say is that speaking strictly for myself… I do not feel like the Ascension is lacking next to them purely from a technical standpoint.
  • While I already have some thoughts, I dare not make bold written claims regarding "which is better" without A/B comparisons. However it is without a doubt that the Ascension is competent enough to hold its ground in today's big boi market. It not a good IEM for its price, it is a damn good IEM at any price.
  • I'll reiterate that the above is exclusively with regard to my perception of technical performance, your personal preference toward the tuning balance of bass-mids-treble is a separate issue.
I'm not really a cable connoisseur myself but for those curious about the differences between Eye of Horus (EOH), Athena and the stock cable; Athena and Arianna are quite a big upgrade from the stock cable. Perceived stage is larger and more immersive due to the blacker background. The Arianna single-handedly makes the relaxed Aurora quite a revealing set, definitely worth the upgrade for me.

Nicholas also let me try the EOH. It clearly has an even blacker background with slightly more nuanced separation than Athena/Arianna but you know… diminishing returns and all. I still think Athena/Arianna are the way to go for value-for-money with little to no compromises in performance. Just super solid cables. The cherry on top is that their ergonomics for 8-wires are excellent, probably the most important aspect to me.

I'd like to clarify that I do not wish for this to be taken as a "hype piece" in light of the recent drama on WC. However I strongly feel the need to offer this perspective due to the lack of opportunities for many to audition AuR products. My intentions are neither to advocate for the superiority of AuR over everything else, nor to suggest the inferiority of the excellent performers costing up to 7-times more than the Ascension. The point is... the existence of gems like these in today's market is truly a win for us consumers.

I myself have voted with thy wallet, placing my order paired with Athena cable right after this audition.

I've noticed a number of comments wishing for these to turn the slam up a little more than the Aurora which was also reserved in the low end. Learning of the fancy new DD they cooked up for this tribrid, I was expecting something with "massive bass slam and treble extension". Coming from daily driving the Aurora, I too shared this sentiment until my audition... where the Ascension subverted my expectations well enough for me to love what Abel cooked up in the lab.

photo_2023-11-26_22-05-40.jpg

^Official graph from AuR themselves

It's not lacking, just not the big bassy subwoofer-ey effect I mentally imagined prior to my demo. For even more context, the NP is still quite heavy in the low end even with the bass switch off. I did not feel the need to turn it up during my comparison with the Ascension today. To put it simply:
The Ascension has a more gradual downward sloping bass shelf with more mid-bass but it isn't going to slam that much harder than Aurora for the same bass notes. If you really want an AuR with more bass slam then NP (switch on or off) might be more appropriate for the job.

Instead, the bass slope does more to give vocals and instruments a more well rounded "natural" sound. This works especially well since Ascension's higher frequencies are stronger than Aurora, helping to balance it to make things natural yet super detailed.

photo_2023-11-26_16-46-21.jpg

photo_2023-11-26_16-46-30.jpg

photo_2023-11-26_22-17-10.jpg

photo_2023-11-26_22-17-13.jpg

Nov 26, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #2,380 of 3,539
Looks like somebody managed to share my impressions of the Ascension (1DD 5BA 2EST, ~USD716) here before me :joy:

Got myself an Arianna cable 8W copper cable to pair with Aurora and Nicholas kindly brought along his Ascension to our meetup for demo.

Ascension Impressions
  • Not as much bass as I was expecting when I saw the graph pre-audition. Despite the gentle downsloping mid-bass, it follows the same vein as Aurora, prioritising speed and texture over middle/upper bass slam.
  • For context, the Neon Pro with bass switch off will still sound much bassier due to larger presence of middle and upper-bass.
  • The new custom DD AuR got for this unit did an excellent job rendering tight basslines. Will need to wait for my personal unit and listen longer in a quiet environment to determine bass quality in greater detail.
  • It may be well established that the Aurora is more for "relaxed listening". If you thought the Aurora was lacking in highs, the ascension "fixes" this with ESTs which pull out SO MUCH micro-detail and nuance without being sharp or shouty. With effortless separation to boot, Abel did an amazing job achieving that detailed and clarity-driven sound.
  • To best describe the mids and treble, I'll say that it's "natural with microscopic detail". This is the set to get if you're the type to plug-in, stare into blank space and zone out analysing your favourite busy tracks
  • I've got to be very careful with my words here. Being fortunate to have tried detail powerhouses and flagships such as the U12t, Rn6, Anni, DIVA, STORM, Helios and Crimson several times, all I can say is that speaking strictly for myself… I do not feel like the Ascension is lacking next to them purely from a technical standpoint.
  • While I already have some thoughts, I dare not make bold written claims regarding "which is better" without A/B comparisons. However it is without a doubt that the Ascension is competent enough to hold its ground in today's big boi market. It not a good IEM for its price, it is a damn good IEM at any price.
  • I'll reiterate that the above is exclusively with regard to my perception of technical performance, your personal preference toward the tuning balance of bass-mids-treble is a separate issue.
I'm not really a cable connoisseur myself but for those curious about the differences between Eye of Horus (EOH), Athena and the stock cable; Athena and Arianna are quite a big upgrade from the stock cable. Perceived stage is larger and more immersive due to the blacker background. The Arianna single-handedly makes the relaxed Aurora quite a revealing set, definitely worth the upgrade for me.

Nicholas also let me try the EOH. It clearly has an even blacker background with slightly more nuanced separation than Athena/Arianna but you know… diminishing returns and all. I still think Athena/Arianna are the way to go for value-for-money with little to no compromises in performance. Just super solid cables. The cherry on top is that their ergonomics for 8-wires are excellent, probably the most important aspect to me.

I'd like to clarify that I do not wish for this to be taken as a "hype piece" in light of the recent drama on WC. However I strongly feel the need to offer this perspective due to the lack of opportunities for many to audition AuR products. My intentions are neither to advocate for the superiority of AuR over everything else, nor to suggest the inferiority of the excellent performers costing up to 7-times more than the Ascension. The point is... the existence of gems like these in today's market is truly a win for us consumers.

I myself have voted with thy wallet, placing my order paired with Athena cable right after this audition.

I've noticed a number of comments wishing for these to turn the slam up a little more than the Aurora which was also reserved in the low end. Learning of the fancy new DD they cooked up for this tribrid, I was expecting something with "massive bass slam and treble extension". Coming from daily driving the Aurora, I too shared this sentiment until my audition... where the Ascension subverted my expectations well enough for me to love what Abel cooked up in the lab.

It's not lacking, just not the big bassy subwoofer-ey effect I mentally imagined prior to my demo. For even more context, the NP is still quite heavy in the low end even with the bass switch off. I did not feel the need to turn it up during my comparison with the Ascension today. To put it simply:
The Ascension has a more gradual downward sloping bass shelf with more mid-bass but it isn't going to slam that much harder than Aurora for the same bass notes. If you really want an AuR with more bass slam then NP (switch on or off) might be more appropriate for the job.

Instead, the bass slope does more to give vocals and instruments a more well rounded "natural" sound. This works especially well since Ascension's higher frequencies are stronger than Aurora, helping to balance it to make things natural yet super detailed.

Thanks for impressions. Looking even more forward to try it now.

All measurements under are from AüR and can be nice reference.

Personally I find Aurora quite warm and bassy, maybe since treble is reserved making the bass and mids stand out more. And even with my love for Neon Pro the texture of Aurora's low end is better. My main IEM from AüR I use for fast electronica is Aurora, the reduced treble helps many brighter elements that is in some electronica releases.

What I would have loved improved on Aurora is more bass going into mids, this seemed to be the case now? As it is dead flat on 300hz on Aurora and Ascension is more at 500hz (similar to NP).

Screenshot 2023-11-26 151557.png

394155665_285733250956761_5924321167063314548_n.jpg

1701008472370.png

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #2,381 of 3,539
Just me having fun analysing measurements 🤣

Both Neon Pro and Ascension share quite similar measurement, key difference being:
1 more sub bass on Ascension
2 mids raises earlier with more dB total pinna gain

Still think we are some time away since they announced some delays.

1701009954076.png

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #2,382 of 3,539
For my experience and after read a lot of forums I think that we need time. When first units arrive more users show their impressions. But like first impression I apareciate it, thanks. Aür Neon Pro was before and after for me on audiophile hobby and I understood that more money not always means better. Aurora was too bassy for me but simply because I prefer balanced signatures. Congratulations one more time to Nicholas and Abel.

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #2,384 of 3,539

Ascension Impressions

What surprises me most about your words is that you say that the bass of the Aurora is fast...

I also expected the Ascension bass to be much more powerful than the Aurora. Not as seen in the graph, it was simply my desire and knowing the specialness of Ascension DD, I trusted it. It will be a slight disappointment if in the end it doesn't turn out that way.

But what I do still trust is that at least it will be faster, actually much faster, than the Aurora bass. Because the bass of the Aurora is not fast at all, in fact, it is one of the main reasons why the Aurora does not work too well with music styles such as metal, etc. (along with the lack of treble).

Anyway, I already have some IEMs with a lot of bass (Nemesis, U4S, Monarch MK3), I think I prefer a more neutral but fun and energetic tuning like NP, and not one more basshead IEM 😅

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #2,385 of 3,539
what do you mean when referencing Watercooler drama? People got offended that aur products compare favorably to iems 3x the price?
@dooxtypoox
They felt Nicholas tried to stack their last Watercooler IEM poll in Aür’s favor, so they have a bit of a grudge currently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back