AÜR AUDIO IEMs
Jan 7, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #2,746 of 3,793
1000011490.jpg

Sounding fantastic on W-shaped Aure, so if Ascension is W-shaped too, but has better technicalities I can only imagine how gorgeous that would be. Guess I'll find out in another month or two ...

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #2,747 of 3,793
Could someone please tell me if the Ascension is an improvement over the UM Mest II? I am tired of the ssssssssss Mest produces (even with Spiral dots it won't go away) and also the lack of musicality sometimes it is overbearing to listen to. I am enjoying much more the audio 64 u4s. The Mest soundstage and instrument separation are wider , however it sounds a lot thinned out comparing to the u4s.

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #2,748 of 3,793
Could someone please tell me if the Ascension is an improvement over the UM Mest II? I am tired of the ssssssssss Mest produces (even with Spiral dots it won't go away) and also the lack of musicality sometimes it is overbearing to listen to. I am enjoying much more the audio 64 u4s. The Mest soundstage and instrument separation are wider , however it sounds a lot thinned out comparing to the u4s
I think you will find the Ascension as an improvement over the Mest mkII. It's pretty far from sibilant. Its similar to the u4s but "better" upper mids. I'm not a fan of the trademark 64 audio dip in the upper mids/lower treble.

U4s has more bass. with the m15/m20 but I found the u4s to sound best with the M12. From memory I think I still prefer the Ascension. I don't like 64 audio fit though so there is that as well

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #2,749 of 3,793
I think you will find the Ascension as an improvement over the Mest mkII. It's not pretty far from sibilant. Its similar to the u4s but "better" upper mids. I'm not a fan of the trademark 64 audio dip in the upper mids/lower treble.

U4s has more bass. with the m15/m20 but I found the u4s to sound best with the M12. From memory I think I still prefer the Ascension. I don't like 64 audio fit though so there is that as well

Thank you @ssantan2. I really appreciated your help here :)

This was the best u4s configuration for me. AZLA SednaEarfit MAX Standard and M12 module. This is the most bass I can go for so I am looking more for a u4s side-grade with the Ascension, once I am just tired of the Mest at this point.

20240107_200155.JPG

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #2,750 of 3,793

I think you will find the Ascension as an improvement over the Mest mkII. It's not pretty far from sibilant. Its similar to the u4s but "better" upper mids. I'm not a fan of the trademark 64 audio dip in the upper mids/lower treble.

Forgive me if I'm being dense but by the above do you means Ascension is NOT prone to sibilance?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #2,752 of 3,793
Having heard Bonneville recently I agree its c**p.

Sorry I don’t want to extend the non AuR conversation but I thought this was an interesting comment that highlights the utter subjectivity of this hobby.

You think they are garbage yet others on the Water Cooler forum praise them highly, one well known participant there recently stated they are his go to under $2K and maybe even $3K.

There is nothing better than listening for oneself but of course that isn’t often possible, if it was I would have saved a lot of money and have less gear 😂

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #2,753 of 3,793
Sorry I don’t want to extend the non AuR conversation but I thought this was an interesting comment that highlights the utter subjectivity of this hobby.

You think they are garbage yet others on the Water Cooler forum praise them highly, one well known participant there recently stated they are his go to under $2K and maybe even $3K.

There is nothing better than listening for oneself but of course that isn’t often possible, if it was I would have saved a lot of money and have less gear 😂
I am also interested in trying Bonneville, but my logic seeing the measurement makes it hard to justify the blind purchase. Even though I know measurement is not everything.

graph (34).png

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #2,754 of 3,793

Yes, but one guy in Watercooler also left a pretty negative review not long ago. His impressions also matched well with what the graph says. I can see how it could do bass well, but upper mids and treble? I'm skeptical.

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #2,755 of 3,793
I am also interested in trying Bonneville, but my logic seeing the measurement makes it hard to justify the blind purchase. Even though I know measurement is not everything.

Take a look at Ara. This is just Ara with a DD bass, which somehow makes it worse, because midrange gets scooped out.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #2,757 of 3,793
Thank you @ssantan2. I really appreciated your help here :)

This was the best u4s configuration for me. AZLA SednaEarfit MAX Standard and M12 module. This is the most bass I can go for so I am looking more for a u4s side-grade with the Ascension, once I am just tired of the Mest at this point.

Been using both the Ascension and U4s at the same time the last weeks, both are very good.
U4S much more of a U shaped sound, lean midrange with good bass and treble extension.
Ascension is more balanced with fuller midrange and similar bass amount as U4s with M15, but might have more treble than U4s.
U4s more airy, but also to much where I get headache after a while. U4s is also more forced and sharp, the air on Ascension is more velvety and not peaky if that make sense?
U4s has more of clear sound, less reverb and also due to the leaner mids. Ascension more rich and organic, but also slower.
U4s has sort of fast bass that lack some resolution, the Ascension is more nuanced that U4s but have slower decay.

The shell is also very different, U4s is small and boxy but very ergonomic. Small nozzle also. And I guess its aluminium, feel very premium.
Ascension instead have the resin shell, but is more ergonomic for me with large ears. Nozzle is larger than U4s.

Both are good sets, and I think both are good to own together as they are also very different.

DSCF3922.jpg

DSCF3967.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #2,758 of 3,793
Would like to hear Bonneville myself but I am skeptical too, especially since some guys liking it also like the Singularity which is not up my alley.....

Cable rolled a bit on Ascension today and was pleased to be able to perceive differences between the cables I tried.

My (customized) Penon Leo Plus was the one I liked best. Silver Palladium did not work on Ascension for me. Athena and Ares S8 were also nice, but less balanced (to my ears and preferences) compared to the Leo Plus...

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #2,759 of 3,793
Would like to hear Bonneville myself but I am skeptical too, especially since some guys liking it also like the Singularity which is not up my alley.....

Cable rolled a bit on Ascension today and was pleased to be able to perceive differences between the cables I tried.

My (customized) Penon Leo Plus was the one I liked best. Silver Palladium did not work on Ascension for me. Athena and Ares S8 were also nice, but less balanced (to my ears and preferences) compared to the Leo Plus...
What did you not like about the silver palladium?

Jan 7, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #2,760 of 3,793
Been using both the Ascension and U4s at the same time the last weeks, both are very good.
U4S much more of a U shaped sound, lean midrange with good bass and treble extension.
Ascension is more balanced with fuller midrange and similar bass amount as U4s with M15, but might have more treble than U4s.
U4s more airy, but also to much where I get headache after a while. U4s is also more forced and sharp, the air on Ascension is more velvety and not peaky if that make sense?
U4s has more of clear sound, less reverb and also due to the leaner mids. Ascension more rich and organic, but also slower.
U4s has sort of fast bass that lack some resolution, the Ascension is more nuanced that U4s but have slower decay.

The shell is also very different, U4s is small and boxy but very ergonomic. Small nozzle also. And I guess its aluminium, feel very premium.
Ascension instead have the resin shell, but is more ergonomic for me with alrge ears. Nozzle is larger than U4s.

Both are good sets, and I think both are good to own together as they are also very different.

DSCF3922.jpg

DSCF3967.jpg

Thank you @Leonarfd. That was a great description of the differences between these 2 sets which I was wondering the most.

I can see myself using both sets more than I am with the Mest at the moment. I guess we all get tired of a sound signature after a while.

BTW the AZLA SednaEarfit MAX Standard killed the u4s sharpness and peaky I was experiencing while making it possible to use M12 module with a strong bass and clearer mids. I tried W1, azla crystal, spiral dots, foam before settling with the Max.

Not deviating the subject anymore, Ascension is the number one in my list now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back