$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Apr 22, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #5,041 of 6,549
The InnerFidelity review is excellent and authoritative. I say the latter with reference to the more critical review of the X5 that follows. I own both and the critique of the X5 (good line out but internal amp lacking) is exactly what I have been saying and posting. It makes the positive review of the M (complete with deserved dissing of the battery life) carry that much more weight.

The M really is a good DAP. I am still enjoying mine greatly.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #5,042 of 6,549
Really great review of the M. its nice to know that Tyll thinks as highly of it as most of us hear do. I really don't find the battery an issue and I believe I get closer to 6 hours however this is only with my JH13FP's and playing flacs with minimal display.

Certainly makes me reconsider placing mine up for sale.....as I no doubt would miss it terribly.

That was actually me, not Tyll, who authored that little roundup. Tyll has heard all of them too but I haven't discussed it with him yet. I might ask him now, since the review is up and I no longer have to worry about bias creeping in. 

If I got 6 hours from the M I'd be more willing to put up with it. I think I average 4.5 hours, with CIEMs, FLAC files of various resolution, and moderate screen use. 

The InnerFidelity review is excellent and authoritative. I say the latter with reference to the more critical review of the X5 that follows. I own both and the critique of the X5 (good line out but internal amp lacking) is exactly what I have been saying and posting. It makes the positive review of the M (complete with deserved dissing of the battery life) carry that much more weight.

The M really is a good DAP. I am still enjoying mine greatly.

Thanks mate! I can see how people "put up" with the X5 amp section, considering everything else it has to offer. But for me the line-out is so far above, it's just a shame not to make the most of it. 

I have to say it's a difficult choice - get the M and deal with battery issues in exchange for excellent overall experience in other areas (including reasonably small form factor), or go X5 plus a nice portable amp. You might still spend less than the M, and sound could potentially match it. Battery should be superior too. But then you've gotta factor in the large size, the interconnect, and you're still using the Fiio UI and that damn scroll wheel. Tough choice I think. 

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #5,043 of 6,549
  Thanks mate! I can see how people "put up" with the X5 amp section, considering everything else it has to offer. But for me the line-out is so far above, it's just a shame not to make the most of it. 

I have to say it's a difficult choice - get the M and deal with battery issues in exchange for excellent overall experience in other areas (including reasonably small form factor), or go X5 plus a nice portable amp. You might still spend less than the M, and sound could potentially match it. Battery should be superior too. But then you've gotta factor in the large size, the interconnect, and you're still using the Fiio UI and that damn scroll wheel. Tough choice I think. 

I have two great portable amps, the Quickstep and the Pico Power, but the M gets all the love these days. It might help that I only listen to IEMs portably. Also I love the M's Jukebox; I am an on-the-fly active playlist junkie.  :)

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #5,045 of 6,549
Great innerfidelity portable DAP roundup John. Thanks.. I agree with your comments on the M. It sounds great but the battery life could be improved. With that being said the M's warmish tilt makes for a great pairing with my slightly forward sounding Audeze LCD-XCs so much so that I can now have near reference sound quality in almost any room in my house because of the M's portability.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #5,046 of 6,549
Apr 23, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #5,047 of 6,549
Great innerfidelity portable DAP roundup John. Thanks.. I agree with your comments on the M. It sounds great but the battery life could be improved. With that being said the M's warmish tilt makes for a great pairing with my slightly forward sounding Audeze LCD-XCs so much so that I can now have near reference sound quality in almost any room in my house because of the M's portability.

Thanks! I don't have an XC here any longer but I could see how that would be a complimentary pairing. If you mainly use the M around the house or office, then battery isn't a big issue.

so is having an eq in calyx never a possibility through firmware updates

They could always add something - I'm sure it's possible. The question is, will they? 

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #5,048 of 6,549
M+XC is a perfect match. Incredible.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #5,049 of 6,549
Fairly interested in this player to use mostly at my desk as a secondary USB DAC (connected to my MacBook AIr), and a DAP as well with my IE800 and K3003is. Does anyone know how the USB DAC section/ability holds up in comparison to its DAP ability? I'm assuming that with the latest firmware, I'll be able to charge the Calyx M + listen via USB DAC connected to my MacBook Air, correct?

Thanks. Looking for something a little different from my RWAK120-B + Cypher Labs Duet amp setup for desk DAP use... especially since the USB DAC on the (RW)AK120-B is notoriously wonky.

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #5,051 of 6,549
  Fairly interested in this player to use mostly at my desk as a secondary USB DAC (connected to my MacBook AIr), and a DAP as well with my IE800 and K3003is. Does anyone know how the USB DAC section/ability holds up in comparison to its DAP ability? I'm assuming that with the latest firmware, I'll be able to charge the Calyx M + listen via USB DAC connected to my MacBook Air, correct?

Thanks. Looking for something a little different from my RWAK120-B + Cypher Labs Duet amp setup for desk DAP use... especially since the USB DAC on the (RW)AK120-B is notoriously wonky.

Yes, I believe you can charge and listen at the same time. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #5,053 of 6,549
Just received the Calyx M in the mail earlier today from Poimandres for an amazing price... the device is in excellent condition, practically like new. Been enjoying it ever since I took it out of the box, especially the USB DAC ability of the Calyx M on my Macbook Air. The internal XMOS USB chipset in the Calyx M makes it behave like a "real" USB DAC (unlike the lower-end Astell&Kern DAPs that only go up to 24/96 when connected as a USB "DAC".)

I've been able to listen to "direct" DSD files from both the internal memory and the USB DAC -> Macbook Air in Audirvana Plus using DoP as well. Quite impressive so far. The ES9018-2M in the Calyx M has a really exciting/involved/upfront midrange, making it somewhat more enjoyable to listen to than my RWAK120-B + Cypher Labs Duet amp stack. I've mostly listened to the Calyx M with my Sennheiser IE800s directly out of the headphone jack (impedance setting: low/mid.) Haven't been required to make use of the "Calyx M jack" for my IE800s, but I'll try out my AKG K3003is later on to see if it requires the M-jack due to the lower impedance (~8ohm at 1kHz) of the K3003i.

Very impressed at the sound quality so far, both as a USB DAC (in Audirvana/OS X, up to 384kHz selectable in Audio MIDI Setup) and a standalone DAP.

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #5,054 of 6,549
Need some guidance from the community:

I just got my Calyx M from acoustic sounds and it will not take a charge.  Its been on the charger by wall wart and now the computer for 3 hours and it just won't fill up.  I have to do the software update which is necessary but I can't accomplish it.  Never had any real problems with my AK gear...

Anyone else having issues with theirs or some help they can offer.  I am going to leave it on the USB from the computer all night and see where it is tomorrow.  Anyone who got a recent model that had some difficulty and can share what they did to work it out would be greatly appreciated!

I am using Mac, latest updated OS, and used lots of DAPs and high end computer audio equipment over the years so I should be able to figure this out.  I'm kind of worried I may have gotten a bad unit.  Man, that would really be a bad deal.  Some good news would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #5,055 of 6,549
  Need some guidance from the community:

I just got my Calyx M from acoustic sounds and it will not take a charge.  Its been on the charger by wall wart and now the computer for 3 hours and it just won't fill up.  I have to do the software update which is necessary but I can't accomplish it.  Never had any real problems with my AK gear...

Anyone else having issues with theirs or some help they can offer.  I am going to leave it on the USB from the computer all night and see where it is tomorrow.  Anyone who got a recent model that had some difficulty and can share what they did to work it out would be greatly appreciated!

I am using Mac, latest updated OS, and used lots of DAPs and high end computer audio equipment over the years so I should be able to figure this out.  I'm kind of worried I may have gotten a bad unit.  Man, that would really be a bad deal.  Some good news would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

Try to unplug the USB cable and hold down the power button for 5+ seconds. If it still doesn't turn on, plug the USB cable back in and hold down the power button to try and turn it on. I had a similar issue as well, unplugging the USB cable from the charger and holding down the power button fixed it for me.

Did the battery icon w/ a charge symbol show up the first time you tried to turn on the device (or when you first plugged it into the USB outlet/Mac)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back