$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jan 26, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #4,816 of 6,549
Some new update regarding the battery issue where the battery is less than 1% and the player refuses to turn on and allow the users to play music while it is charging.

http://www.calyx.kr/xe/notice/33002

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #4,817 of 6,549
Yes but specifically to the users of M of serial number AE0101~AE0832:

If your M's serial number is one of AE0101~AE0832, please do the update as the instruction as the attachment.
This update make your M to be able to boot up while charging, even though the remaining batter is about 1%.

Please go to and follow the instruction.

http://www.calyx.kr/xe/notice/32998

Upgrading now...

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #4,818 of 6,549
I just received my M a few days ago. It could replace my RWAK120, but it's not an easy decision... My wish list for the M

- place "song number / number of songs in album" between current playtime and duration of song
- when picking an artist do not show all albums in an expanded view. Add an option to the preferences for a "compressed" mode, in which only the list of albums is shown; tapping on an album unfolds the list of songs
- add an option to the preferences to let the user choose how a usb connection is treated; let's say, the M ran out of juice, you plug it in and boot it. Now you want to switch to USB DAC... you can't unless the battery has reached a certain level. The only way I know of to choose the usb connection type is to unplug and plug again, but the M will tell you that battery is too low and shut down automatically. Not good!

I guess that the points mentioned above are easy to solve via firmware upgrades. Do you know how to contact the folks at Calyx / Digital & Analog to highlight those wishes?

Oh and battery life... 3100mAh on the M vs 2350mAh on the AK120. The M plays almost 5h of ALAC with screen off, the AK120 more than 13h. My M does not get warm. Where does all the juice go to? I would assume that this energy has to be dissipated somewhere!

Edit: Interestingly, the Cayin N6 has even a bigger battery (5600mAh) and a similar performance as the M (5-6h). What kind of magic are the guys at AK/river doing to get so much playtime out of their devices?

My Cowon P1 gives me 10 hours plus for mix of red book flac and HD flac.

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #4,821 of 6,549
  Some new update regarding the battery issue where the battery is less than 1% and the player refuses to turn on and allow the users to play music while it is charging.

http://www.calyx.kr/xe/notice/33002

Thanks for this. This has really bugged me so glad there is a fix. Updating now.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #4,822 of 6,549
it is kind of weird that the "fix" is restricted to that range of serial numbers...can't help but feel the serial numbers outside these numbers are different from the rest

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #4,823 of 6,549
it is kind of weird that the "fix" is restricted to that range of serial numbers...can't help but feel the serial numbers outside these numbers are different from the rest

I agree, and it would be very interesting if folks with serial numbers affected could share with us if, after the firmware update, there are any changes in the battery play time as well.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #4,825 of 6,549
My sample also has the screen glueing problem. Apart from that the way the buttons on the side work puzzles me. While the screen is on, I can pause and skip without problems. When I push the power button once to switch off the screen, the side buttons are active for about 15s only. After that, pressing them has no effect. I have to push the power button again to bring both the screen and the side buttons back to life again.

Do you get the same behavior?

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #4,827 of 6,549
Jan 27, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #4,828 of 6,549
I am certain they will fix it eventually, I am willing to ignore all the current issues based on how much I am enjoying it with almost everything I pair with it.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #4,829 of 6,549
My sample also has the screen glueing problem. Apart from that the way the buttons on the side work puzzles me. While the screen is on, I can pause and skip without problems. When I push the power button once to switch off the screen, the side buttons are active for about 15s only. After that, pressing them has no effect. I have to push the power button again to bring both the screen and the side buttons back to life again.

Do you get the same behavior?

I think that you are referring to when the player is paused? Once the screen is off and the player is paused, it goes into some kind of power saving mode and you have to push the power button to bring it back to life. I don't think that is something that they are going to fix.

However, when the screen is off and the music is playing, my side buttons all work. I assume that this is fairly universal.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #4,830 of 6,549

They said the early boot loader with the charging bug was not updated properly by the updater in the OS, so if the factory installed OS (ver 0.5 ~ 0.6) had the buggy boot loader causing the charging problem, it was not updated by the further updates yet. Tricky. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back