$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Oct 31, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #4,471 of 6,549
Had the morning for myself and decided to spend sometimes playing around with HUGO, Calyx M and Denon DA-10. Keeping it brief I found Calyx sounded more like Hugo with a little more forward vocal. Denon DA-10 came across as the more laid back one with softer bass response and maybe a little more brighter sounding? This was a nice surprise to me.

I used Dita Truth to do the listening and native DSD album and using Audirvana.

Honestly Calyx M owners should really not be craving for more, 

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #4,473 of 6,549
Hi folks,

I've been reading this thread and noticed that a few monhs ago there was some discussion about output impedance and noise problems with low impedance IEMs. Has this issue been fixed? I ordered my Calyx M from Acoustic Sounds on October 29, and a friend of mine who is in the US will deliver it to me next week. My IEM is the SE846. Should I be worried? Am I correct in assuming Acoustic Sounds is selling a recent batch?

Thanks,
Paulo Mario

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #4,474 of 6,549
I used the 846 with the M for around 4 months and had no problem. 

Hi folks,

I've been reading this thread and noticed that a few monhs ago there was some discussion about output impedance and noise problems with low impedance IEMs. Has this issue been fixed? I ordered my Calyx M from Acoustic Sounds on October 29, and a friend of mine who is in the US will deliver it to me next week. My IEM is the SE846. Should I be worried? Am I correct in assuming Acoustic Sounds is selling a recent batch?

Thanks,
Paulo Mario

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #4,476 of 6,549
  Hi folks,

AFAIK, the problem is not necessarily of low impedance IEMs. Some earphones reported to have problems include JVC FX800 and AKG K3003. But my FI-BA-SS of which impedance is very low has no problem. I've read some reporting that FAD Lab 1 whose impedance is even lower is a very good match to M. D&A, the manufacturer of M, says an additional jack will solve the problem with some specific earphones. And I expect the jack will be distributed soon, I've reported them my shipping address for the jack. In oversea markets, I think distribution method will depend on specific distributors of each market.

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #4,477 of 6,549

AFAIK, the problem is not necessarily of low impedance IEMs. Some earphones reported to have problems include JVC FX800 and AKG K3003. But my FI-BA-SS of which impedance is very low has no problem. I've read some reporting that FAD Lab 1 whose impedance is even lower is a very good match to M. D&A, the manufacturer of M, says an additional jack will solve the problem with some specific earphones. And I expect the jack will be distributed soon, I've reported them my shipping address for the jack. In oversea markets, I think distribution method will depend on specific distributors of each market.

This is true. The Lab 1 is 8 ohms. Calyx M + Lab 1 is my portable rig of the gods. There are zero compatibility issues and I have clocked hundreds of hours... (well I have no idea really: many many many hours...)

(I personally have only had problems with dynamic IEMs.)

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #4,480 of 6,549
How can I obtain one?

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #4,481 of 6,549
This is going to be more of a blog entry than anything else:

This is why Calyx M is a killer DAP, one can get a 256 GB SD card for 109 USD and a 10,000 mHA battery back for 139 AUD that should be enough to last us a day of non-stop usage.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016078-REG/pny_technologies_p_sdx256u1h_ge_256gb_elite_sdxc_uhs_1_card.html

The more I play around with the gear I have acquired over the years the more I realise that synergy and variety is the key to enjoy music. No matter how good of a setup you have with time you are prone to get bored of it and as a result in the portable word there is no end game. So the trick is to have a totally different sounding setup for the moment you get bored of the sound you consider your preference. 

There are at least half a dozen more DAPS that i like to try but know they all come with compromise of their own or the one that tried to compromise the least come with a considerably more pricey tags. 

Calyx achieved a very decent sound, paired with a very good decent and excellent memory support with the compromise in battery life and power. I think for me I am very happy where I am in terms of finding a DAP that can handle all the file format I put to it. I might try other daps in the future but right now my main focus is to get a CIEM that pairs to my preference with the Calyx M. 

I always like to do my best and ask the makers of the IEM/DAP to provide me the setup that they like to recommend when they want people to audition their products, sadly it has been difficult with calyx due to language barrier but I will keep trying and keep the community informed.

I am also remaining hopeful of the JustEar CIEM that sony is brining to the market next year. 

Truth be told I have been in communication with Lotoo folks about their Lotoo PAW Gold, they also informed me about a universal IEM that I might get to try. They are going to price it in the same level as the K3003 as they are tuning it to improve on the K3003. I really do enjoy the K3003 open sound and bass but there are times which I dislike the treble quiet alot (using the reference filter) but till I dont hear it I cannot comment. Lotoo needs to first fix their international availability and also not to mention their Gold PAW is 2000 USD, yea!

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #4,482 of 6,549
The Calyx M does the Flat-4 KAEDE! Now I am very glad that I did not sell these IEMs. This combination sounds fabulous with the right (especially grinding bass) music. Red Hot Chili Peppers soared during this session. It is not just that the Aclear Porta completely solves the M impedance issue with all of my problem IEMs - and it really does so completely - but the way that the isolation transformer 'cuts earth loops and eliminates common impedance' (their explanation) adds air back that the M normally lacks. It is a trade-off - you gain clarity and separation but lose some of the M's signature cream. It does not color the sound though; it opens it up. When it works, it really works.

Be warned: while it is even smaller than it looks in the picture - it is truly tiny (3.5" * 2.2" * 0.6") - the Aclear Porta weighs a third of a pound. There is no battery involved; it is just a dense transformer. It also cost me the equivalent of $400 (i.e. US$... and that after my friend at Jaben Hong Kong gave me a decent cash discount on this just arrived item).

An interesting piece of kit indeed. I will have more to say in the coming days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back