$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Sep 21, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #4,291 of 6,550
There is really sonically nothing lacking to my ears on calyx m, if my wondering mind doesn't loss focus I can sale a lot of my gears and make up for the losses.

I still get more ear time with calyx than hugo.

I hope the fix they are planning for low impedance Iem is an elegant one. Eagerly waiting for the fix.

I hope they give us the folder view and screen light adjustment option. Also I love to see a charging dock for it.

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #4,293 of 6,550
I should probably ask, but the M appears to use the screen at least from a cell phone, so I suggest going to a mobile shop and looking for Samsung screen protectors as you might find one that fits almost perfectly.

About the M vs. AK240, what has been said in the last couple of pages seems to be in agreement with what everyone, including myself, has said: The AK240 isn't 2.5x better than the M in SQ. As a whole package, given all it can do, including better SQ, it is a better DAP though -- smaller, with balanced output that can drive full-sized headphones remarkably well and has digital output, music streaming, nice accessories and a very polished UI. You could buy it and the accessories and have it as your entire end-game headphone listening system, both at home and when out. If you don't need half of that then the better SQ becomes a law-of-dimishing-returns issue and the M looks like a lot better value.

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #4,294 of 6,550
I should probably ask, but the M appears to use the screen at least from a cell phone, so I suggest going to a mobile shop and looking for Samsung screen protectors as you might find one that fits almost perfectly.
thanks currawong. If someone in this forum have already found a matching model it will be of great help. Are you using any case? If yes which one?

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #4,295 of 6,550
I got this case from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dignis-Calyx-M-Music-Player-Leather-Case-Italy-Leather-Minerva-Brown-Limited-/301238195060?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cases_Covers_Skins&hash=item4623321374
and this screen protector kit, it comes with side and back skins too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Body-Film-Front-Back-Side-LCD-Screen-Protector-Guard-AFP-Clear-Film-Calyx-M-/111371390074?pt=US_MP3_Player_Screen_Protectors&hash=item19ee408c7a

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #4,296 of 6,550
Their screen seem to have a good scratch resistance, there were a moment or two that I thought I must have cracked the screen and still not a single scratch. IE800 ceramic body cause me few scary moment or two. 

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #4,298 of 6,550
My dear friend you spent too much time on the box! 
wink_face.gif

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #4,299 of 6,550
  I got this case from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dignis-Calyx-M-Music-Player-Leather-Case-Italy-Leather-Minerva-Brown-Limited-/301238195060?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cases_Covers_Skins&hash=item4623321374

You will love this Dignis case. I am so used to it that I cannot imagine using the M without it.

I do not actually see much point to a screen/side/back protector once you have this case. Everything is protected,

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #4,300 of 6,550

You will love this Dignis case. I am so used to it that I cannot imagine using the M without it.

I do not actually see much point to a screen/side/back protector once you have this case. Everything is protected,

Yes the case is well designed. Now if they just get firmware that make battery life better and not drain when unit is off I will be happier.

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #4,301 of 6,550
Dignis is quite popular brand in S.Korea for their camera related products as well as mobile stuff as DAPs, iphones... etc.and very well built case,
But still,Screen protector isn't bad idea since you can get tiny scratches even when you wipe off dirts or grease from the screen..  
The glass material seems like something as gorilla glass kinda thing though...

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #4,302 of 6,550
  Dignis is quite popular brand in S.Korea for their camera related products as well as mobile stuff as DAPs, iphones... etc.and very well built case,
But still,Screen protector isn't bad idea since you can get tiny scratches even when you wipe off dirts or grease from the screen..  
The glass material seems like something as gorilla glass kinda thing though...

Actually it is Gorilla Glass.

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #4,303 of 6,550
I decided to ask a set of question from Calyx M based on what I thought you guys want to know from them on Saturday and they got back to me today.

Greeting: I had a few question to ask on behalf of my fellow friends from head-fi
1) When will the firmware 1.x be release? Can you give us an estimation. Will this include folder view?
2)Do you have any upcoming accessories for calyx M? Do you have anything in your mind that we might see in the future?
3)When will the adapter for low impedance IEM be release to the dealers?
Many thanks in advance please provide an answer when possible as these are the main question that we have.

They replied:

Dear audionewbi,
Let us answer in order of your questions.
1. 1.0 shall be released out in a couple of weeks. Then it will support various languages in menu and command strings. Folder view will takes a couple of months to be released out. Surething is we will support. It takes some time because there is a UI identity issue and some internal data base structure issue.
2. What kind of accessories do you want? In CES2015, we will attend with some new products but can't tell you at this moment.
3. We just finished its tooling. In the coming October, we will shipping it out. Every M purchaser will got it as free. And this is not for "low" impedance IEM because some low impedance IEM has no problem. Anyway you will like it. Ah since the internal structure of this jack is so good we will make 6.35-->3.5 converter and this will be satisfactory who are looking for such a converter. MSRP is USD10. Very quiet and convenient as well as rugged.
And thank you for your suppport.
P.S. We heard there is battery drain during turn-off. But this is absolutely wrong. M is consuming 3mA during while it turns off. This means M is alive during 3100/3 = 1000 hours= 40 days.

So I am pretty excited to get ahold of that jack thingie. Also I asked them if they are releasing a charging cradle in the future, they are not sure but are wondering what kind of accessories we want. 

Share your thoughts here and I will pass it on to them in time.

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #4,304 of 6,550
Just saw the case in their advertising here:http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/100352/Calyx-Leather_Case_For_Calyx_M_DSD_Portable_Music_Player-Digital_Supplies. Price is a little steep for me to get one. I stick with the one I have.

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #4,305 of 6,550
I do not really see the point of getting a case, a case must provide protection. Also I really think the class they used is quiet resistant to scratches. I left it in my pocket with keys and coins and still all good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back