$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Aug 14, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #4,096 of 6,549

Strongly disagree with this. A well maintained folder structure is the definition of stable - as in bulletproof. I cannot believe that anyone fails to do this properly.

It happens very often to slip the cursor moving a folder into an unwanted place in the finder if you manipulate and navigate the bunch of folders of music files in the finder. I've done it many times. To change tagging you have to do it intentionally in a dedicated SW, making an accidental mistake more unlikely. 

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #4,097 of 6,549
^ It's all good . Like I said, I have perfect folder structure and also perfect tags. You can't go wrong that way. And I back up everything.

The M is a great DAP. I just spent three hours listening on the Chinese 高铁 train system with the Heaven VI. For sound quality, you can't fault it as road warrior.

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #4,099 of 6,549
It's not acceptable to have such a huge screen and no folder support, no video, no wifi and sluggish scrolling in 2014. IMO it's just another promise let down by implementation. 

I should be able to play a flac via wifi from my music server on my NAS and transfer it to the player from the server wherever I am on the internet. And this should just work, no complicated setup.

Asian companies are still asian. :)

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #4,102 of 6,549
It's not acceptable to have such a huge screen and no folder support, no video, no wifi and sluggish scrolling in 2014. IMO it's just another promise let down by implementation. 

I should be able to play a flac via wifi from my music server on my NAS and transfer it to the player from the server wherever I am on the internet. And this should just work, no complicated setup.

Asian companies are still asian. :)

What's that supposed to mean? Almost all tech stuffs are made and created by companies in Asia. Your typical stereotyping needs to be rectified and you should change your mindset.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #4,103 of 6,549
Everybody wants to be Apple but instead of doing what Apple does, they want to charge Mercedes AMG prices for something that rides like a live axle Mustang.

Making a DAC with good measurements is easy nowadays. Stuffing it in an aluminium case is also easy. Making a player with a great usage experience and no bugs is something no asian company has ever done. That's why you see those players on ebay for a third of the original price.

If you want to make a great player start working on the software. Specs are good for fleecing your customers and making the marketing team's job easy.

DON'T BUY SPECS.

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #4,104 of 6,549

It won't.

That is NOT true. Have you tested before stating that?

Because I have tested myself my Calyx M with Audeze LCD-XC and they sounded amazing. Yes, straight out of the DAP, no external amp, just the 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter that came with Audeze and good to go.

I listened to a variety of genre, used impedance matching Mid, about 50% volume and sounded loud and clear.

I haven't tested yet (will shortly) but I assume the M will play the LCD-X very well too, since it is the same driver, impedance and efficiency as the LCD-XC without being closed.

So I recommend the pairing of Calyx M + LCD-XC emphatically.

Of course the LCD-XC can sound better with dedicated dac+amp, that is another discussion. And pairing LCD-2 and LCD-3 won't do it because they are unefficient.

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #4,105 of 6,549
Aug 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #4,107 of 6,549
Hi All!  I had a chance to demo this device with my SE846, W60, and anthers HD800.  It is a neat device and well made.  The operating system was intuitive as well.  I could not believe my local store had 3 in stock.  If you are looking for one, PM me and I can tell where you the stock is (Southeast USA)

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #4,108 of 6,549

Because I have tested myself my Calyx M with Audeze LCD-XC and they sounded amazing. 

The LCD-X line is 10x more efficient than the HiFiMAN line and 3x the original Audeze lineup.  That said, the M is, until proven otherwise, current limited and no replacement for a desktop amp.  Ie no the M does not drive orthos as well as my GS-X mk2.  Ex the HE-500 will send the M into hard clipping at 96dB peaks and that assumes no current limiting.

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #4,109 of 6,549
Does anyone else notice that the battery drains even when the M is off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back