$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
May 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #2,986 of 6,549
  thanks

and what about the UI reactivity ?  Still slow ?

I also tested it today and agree with the SQ improvement. There is better clarity of details now and does have pretty nice staging.

UI reactivity however, still leaves much to be desired. Was still as slow as I last touched it, before the firmware was updated.

May 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #2,987 of 6,549
thanks

and what about the UI reactivity ?  Still slow ?

I wouldn't say it was slow but at the same time, it wasn't buttery smooth and responsive like your iphone or S4. I would consider it adequate. I am not sure if it will be laggy once a 128GB card is inserted. But with a full 64GB card and quite a few songs on the internal memory, it was performing quite well. It is just that the UI is different from the usual AK DAPs. Takes a little getting used to.

May 30, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #2,988 of 6,549
I wouldn't say it was slow but at the same time, it wasn't buttery smooth and responsive like your iphone or S4. I would consider it adequate. I am not sure if it will be laggy once a 128GB card is inserted. But with a full 64GB card and quite a few songs on the internal memory, it was performing quite well. It is just that the UI is different from the usual AK DAPs. Takes a little getting used to.

Yes, it is not really slow or stuttering etc. Just not as smooth as our phones. Probably a combination of the lower powered CPU and the android 4.2 which was not really smooth even in those high speed dual core phones at the time.

More is than slow/stutter, for me the issue is more around it's UI and flow is not very intuitive and give you a clumsy feeling. Might take a while for Calyx to tweak and fine tune it. But it is pretty and the screen is good looking!

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #2,989 of 6,549
Calyx just announced(through Calyx M naver cafe) that they will solve noise problem which M has with some iem and headphones by providing extention line with extra impedance or by changing some part, but still didnt provide any official explanation.
But according to some users who have personal relationship with Ceo of calyx said that they heard from ceo that some iem and headphones cant handle M's zero ohm impedance.
And here are the iem and headphones that can show annoying noises.
Senheiser ie80
Sennheiser ie800
JVC HA-FX800
JVC HA-FX750
JVC HA-FXZ200
Shure SE846
Shure SE425
Sony MDR-10R
Sony XBA-40
Ultrasone TIO
Ultrasone Pyco
Logitech UE900
Audio Technica ATH-IM01
This is not exhaustive list, and one user reported the problem with audeze lcd-x.
I think calyx might have fixed the problem for foreign batches, actually I hope they did.

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #2,990 of 6,549
^ Weirder all the time. So adding 1 or 2 ohms will hopefully help.

It begs the question: why did they choose the current specs in the first place?

I am still waiting patiently to see how this all shakes out...

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #2,991 of 6,549
Remember the initial spec was at 3.3 Ohms. It sounds like the M only has a single stage amp design. Difficult to isolate noise without the help of high output impedance and limiting output power. But I could be wrong since I don't see them releasing a block diagram of the M's design.

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #2,993 of 6,549
  Remember the initial spec was at 3.3 Ohms. It sounds like the M only has a single stage amp design. Difficult to isolate noise without the help of high output impedance and limiting output power. But I could be wrong since I don't see them releasing a block diagram of the M's design.

How is the noise isolated with the impedance?  I believe the dual DACs on some of the DAPs apply common mode to rid of noise?  The DX90 is less than .1 output impedance, and utilizes dual Sabre.

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #2,994 of 6,549
Calyx just announced(through Calyx M naver cafe) that they will solve noise problem which M has with some iem and headphones by providing extention line with extra impedance or by changing some part, but still didnt provide any official explanation.
But according to some users who have personal relationship with Ceo of calyx said that they heard from ceo that some iem and headphones cant handle M's zero ohm impedance.
And here are the iem and headphones that can show annoying noises.
Senheiser ie80
Sennheiser ie800
JVC HA-FX800
JVC HA-FX750
JVC HA-FXZ200
Shure SE846
Shure SE425
Sony MDR-10R
Sony XBA-40
Ultrasone TIO
Ultrasone Pyco
Logitech UE900
Audio Technica ATH-IM01
This is not exhaustive list, and one user reported the problem with audeze lcd-x.
I think calyx might have fixed the problem for foreign batches, actually I hope they did.

hmm.. I experienced some noise in the background with my Fitear 111 paired with the Calyx M, though I didn't hear that with other headphones. Wasn't sure if it's the same issue.

Have to say the UI, which includes the volume slider, and location of the power button, is the main thing I dislike about the device. I think SQ wise there isn't much to complain about though the speed is a little bit faster. It's also larger a device than I expected, but not unmanageable.

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #2,995 of 6,549
  How is the noise isolated with the impedance?  I believe the dual DACs on some of the DAPs apply common mode to rid of noise?  The DX90 is less than .1 output impedance, and utilizes dual Sabre.

Not exactly isolating the noise completely but I suppose making it less noticeable if you increase the impedance between the headphone and the M which somewhat attenuates the signal including noise. I think it's the same principle as the bass pot in Roxanne.

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #2,996 of 6,549
Not exactly isolating the noise completely but I suppose making it less noticeable if you increase the impedance between the headphone and the M which somewhat attenuates the signal including noise. I think it's the same principle as the bass pot in Roxanne.

For me, the whole thing is mysterious and weird.
Mysterious, because as far as I know, the one of the most important point of making amp impedance near zero is to get rid of as much noise as possible, that's why Benchmark has made zero ohm amp since 2000, that's why O2's impedance is near zero. There are many complaints about these amps but amplifying noises is not one of them.
Weird, because Calyx Ceo has kept changed the reason of the noises. From 'no such thing exist', 'bad transient responses of headphones' to 'headphones cant handle zero impedance'. Why? I dont get it, because most of users said sq is very good. Then why is so defensive?

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #2,997 of 6,549
Here's a thought.  Don't ask a business guy for technical info :p  

Noise has nothing to do with output impedance or transients.  It's related to power supply, pcb layout and opamp choices.  Running deep gain stages does not help noise.  Running low gain, low power does not increase noise.

I do have a question though.  Are the people with noise listening to the player while it is plugged into usb for power?  Cause that's a whole other set of reasons.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #2,998 of 6,549
Here's a thought.  Don't ask a business guy for technical info :p  

Well, the words of wisdom ^^
But unfortunately the Ceo is trying to do everything by himself, at least that is the impression he wants to give to the cafe users. Many users reported that they couldnt even find a single telephone number that the M buyers can dial when they have problems, all they can find is a email address and the personal contact between exclusive members and Ceo. I think that has caused so many miscommunication and misunderstanding.
But fortunately after so many complaints, the ceo started to promise to fix the problems. I think the changing attitude mainly has to do with impending debut in some foreign markets because calyx has a big ambition with the M in foreign market sales. Calyx doesnt want to sell the products with so many basic problems to foreign markets.
So I think you guys will have a less buggy and more sturdy version of the M(some of the early batches of M's back covers are not even properly locked up.)
And about usb noise, yes some user reported that, but that' a different type of noise. The noise that reportedly caused by 'zero ohm impedeance' is different and usually happens when playing the m without any external connection.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #2,999 of 6,549
You can add AK to the list of companies that have no phone or email that they answer.

That said, I really really want the M to be great but if, and until there is consensus I'll say if, there is noise of any kind with iems... I'm out.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #3,000 of 6,549
You can add AK to the list of companies that have no phone or email that they answer.

That said, I really really want the M to be great but if, and until there is consensus I'll say if, there is noise of any kind with iems... I'm out.

You right! I am also a member of ㅁAK naver cafe, so i can clearly remember all the crazy complaints, I just hoped this time is different and that's what the ceo publicly promised, ' the world best dap'!, but only with noise ^-^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back