$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
May 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #2,477 of 6,550
@monkeygod Thanks very much for posting such a detailed comparison at this early stage. The all important part is to come. For me at least the Ms inability to drive cans is not an issue i just hope it sounds fabulous with IEMs. 

Would you mind also rating the Ms sound quality in direct comparison to the other DAPs you own or have owned. Helps get an idea about value vs SQ.

It is a pretty big device and that side by side photo really shows just how small the AK 240 is.

Thanks for your efforts.

May 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #2,480 of 6,550
Would love to hear your opinions on Calyx M sound vs any other players you are familiar with.

The summary seems to imply that AK240 sound is better price no issue, but... that doesn't narrow down the SQ of the Calyx too much!

May 5, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #2,483 of 6,550
Just a thought... all the talk on facebook about Calyx M being the best etc etc...killer DAP blah blah....Maybe the Calyx guys really truly believe it is better than the likes of the AK 240 simply because the resultant sound is the signature they prefer and strived to achieve. Having successfully achieved it they would naturally think it's the best. I mean they have often commented on how they were trying to make it sound natural and be excellent with live recordings. Maybe that is exactly what they have done.

Anyway... waiting for more impressions...
regular_smile .gif

May 5, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #2,484 of 6,550
  Just a thought... all the talk on facebook about Calyx M being the best etc etc...killer DAP blah blah....Maybe the Calyx guys really truly believe it is better than the likes of the AK 240 simply because the resultant sound is the signature they prefer and strived to achieve. Having successfully achieved it they would naturally think it's the best. I mean they have often commented on how they were trying to make it sound natural and be excellent with live recordings. Maybe that is exactly what they have done.

Anyway... waiting for more impressions...
regular_smile .gif

Well, the impressions say warm, so their idea of sounding natural is warm, I guess so.  Anybody like warm signature here?

May 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #2,485 of 6,550
^ Fair assumption. I am naturally suspicious both of manufacturer opinions and also opinions of those who have already invested $2000+ in the AK240. Even where intentions are good, confirmation bias is too great.

monkeygod's assessment rings unbiased to me but again I have to hear the M for myself.

May 5, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #2,486 of 6,550
  Well, the impressions say warm, so their idea of sounding natural is warm, I guess so.  Anybody like warm signature here?

I think the IEMs used have had quite a bearing on that... I wonder what the impression would be using something like Etys ER4

May 5, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #2,487 of 6,550
  ^ Fair assumption. I am naturally suspicious both of manufacturer opinions and also opinions of those who have already invested $2000+ in the AK240. Even where intentions are good, confirmation bias is too great.

monkeygod's assessment rings unbiased to me but again I have to hear the M for myself.

I'm with you on that.  I did audition the AK120 and 240, and my suspicion was broken, it did sound good to my ears with UERM demo.  
frown.gif

I know my impressions wasn't biased since I wanted it to sound bad since it's so overpriced.  I was hoping that the new DX90 would bring out impressions that would talk about the device being in par with AK120(KKCC has said it sounds better than 120?) or 240, but it will be difficult get a good sample size since not many would own the AK and own the DX90.  

It all depends on what equipment Monkey previously/currently owns or had extended listening time with.  If so, his/her ears should be pretty good at noticing the signatures and the quality of the sound.  

Personally, I like that fact that Monkey used something that is regarded as detailed and close to neutral CIEMs to audition the device, the JH13(FP?).  

May 5, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #2,488 of 6,550
I'm with you on that.  I did audition the AK120 and 240, and my suspicion was broken, it did sound good to my ears with UERM demo.  :frowning2:

I know my impressions wasn't biased since I wanted it to sound bad since it's so overpriced.  I was hoping that the new DX90 would bring out impressions that would talk about the device being in par with AK120(KKCC has said it sounds better than 120?) or 240, but it will be difficult get a good sample size since not many would own the AK and own the DX90.  

It all depends on what equipment Monkey previously/currently owns or had extended listening time with.  If so, his/her ears should be pretty good at noticing the signatures and the quality of the sound.  

Personally, I like that fact that Monkey used something that is regarded as detailed and close to neutral CIEMs to audition the device, the JH13(FP?).  

Yup I prefer dx90 over ak120 as dx90 is more neutral and transparent. The difference in the DAC performance of these players became very apparent when using Lineout to my nfb28 (amp output 8W @40ohm or 1200mW @300) to a balanced hd800. Dx90 can resolve much more details than ak120 and the nfb28 DAC portion. It's resolving power is on par with AK240 line out tho I find AK240 more holographic and 3D. Hm901 sounded less transparent/resolving than dx90 and ak240 but more musical and visceral than either. These difference become less apparent when using my LCD3 but ak120 is still a definitive class below those three imho. When using them standalone as DAP, their amp section performance comes into play. IEM pairing also becomes a factor. With my IEMs I like 901/240 > dx90 >> ak120.

I should be able to visit the HK calyx distributor in these few days and demo the M. Amongst the iem I own now I'm guess it might pair best with my re600, and er4. Nonetheless will try to also listen with my jh13fp, 1p2, asg2, and tg334. My SQ expectation going in is that M should at least be on par with dx90. Will post more once I demoed.

May 5, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #2,489 of 6,550

So, what happens if you audition an AK240 and like it enough to buy it? Does that mean your opinion is no longer valid?

Wouldn't that apply to all things ever purchased, and so, with your reasoning,only people who have never bought an item can have valid opinions about it?

May 5, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #2,490 of 6,550

So, what happens if you audition an AK240 and like it enough to buy it? Does that mean your opinion is no longer valid?

Wouldn't that apply to all things ever purchased, and so, with your reasoning,only people who have never bought an item can have valid opinions about it?

You misunderstand my concern. It is not that the person's opinion cannot be valid and ultimately be one that I will agree with. I may indeed agree. Rather my concern is that it is one that I can rely on less. Confirmation bias is a potential conflict - and the potential is very real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back