$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jan 29, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #557 of 6,549
Raise the bar of Calyx M for the final production.

1. Output impedance: 0 Ohm for the final production without compromise of sound quality, THD and so on.

2. Power rate: 1.254V at 16 Ohm, 98.2mW per channel.

3. Add the buttons of FW and BW.

I guess the subscribers of this fan page like the added features.

Happy Listening.

From Calyx Facebook two hours ago.

So they must have followed the discussion here, once again Head-Fier rock.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 29, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #558 of 6,549

From Calyx Facebook two hours ago.

So they must have followed the discussion here, once again Head-Fier rock.

I have a question about their revised Power Rating:

2. Power rate: 1.254V at 16 Ohm, 98.2mW per channel.

I thought the Power rating in voltage is fairly stable across the board, you won't get a lot up and down from 30 ohm to 300ohm, maybe 0.1V or something like that, so why is the emphasis on output rating at 16 ohm?  100mW + 100mW @ 16ohm is respectable, but not invincible, right?  

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 29, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #560 of 6,549
^ Actually it's pretty good compared to most DAPs out there. However the X5 is more than twice as powerful. Just one statistic....

How about AK100 and ZX1?

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #561 of 6,549
Nice improvements they provided, I admit it. However, the lack of storage is still a deal breaker for me.

Maybe in the future with something like M2 or M+ we can see 256 gb or more storage options. Then I will call it a day.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #562 of 6,549
  Nice improvements they provided, I admit it. However, the lack of storage is still a deal breaker for me.

Maybe in the future with something like M2 or M+ we can see 256 gb or more storage options. Then I will call it a day.

+1

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #564 of 6,549
  Oh, I hadn't seen that Facebook update. Actually that's impressive!

Yes, I am... very impressed that they've agreed to make those changes.

@ Calyx staff:    You've really earned my respect, by having the humility to make those improvements, so late in the Calyx-M production schedule - I realise it must be a bitter pill for you to swallow, but I feel you are definitely doing a wise thing.

I take my hat off to you - many makers would have arrogantly ignored customers' concerns, but you've 'stepped-up-to-the-plate' 
beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #566 of 6,549
^^^Totly agree. Calyx is back on my radar, however, I'll wait until storage capacity is increased significantly.

same for me...
And also I need the guarantee that the "line-out" is a "REAL Line Out", that bypass the AMP and the Volume controle.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #567 of 6,549
This may also have been an influencing factor, WRT the OI:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698455/chord-hugo-preview-report/225#post_10193044

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #568 of 6,549
So you need to have :
- 256 Gb
- SKIP physical Buton
- Digital OUT (opt + coax)
- à dedicated Line-out ( not a "Fake one " ! )

It doesn't seem as though Calyx will be changing the memory capacity on this iteration of the Calyx-M, which is a pity (even if they just changed the MicroSD slot to a fullsize SD slot it'd help a bit...). I suppose it's not impossiblre that they give us a nice surprise when they release it, but not looking likely at this point.

I did see your exchange with the Calyx team, by the way:

Calyx M See what you think when it comes out in April. We understand, but note that it is not easy for a small, independent manufacturer to market so many different models. We are confident that the market will appreciate what the M has to offer

Capacity aside, here are Calyx's official take on the other issues (quoted directly from their Facebook page):

"Raise the bar of Calyx M for the final production.

3. Add the buttons of FW and BW."

"Digital Out from Calyx M:

Some people ask/complain there is no digital out in M

Calyx M is accomplished of DXD of 32/384 and 128DSD. SPDIF can't handle these hi-rez digital signals so it is useless to have the digital out in Calyx M M

Furthermore, Calyx M has already a decent DAC inside already. We implemented ESS SABRE 9018 K2M very successfully as we did in Calyx Femto.

Load your music into M and simply enjoy it."

"Line-Out of Calyx M:

The volume control of Calyx M is done by a programmed attenuator, of which steps varies 0.01dB to 0.5dB.

So it keeps its output impedance keep the same at each step and this is a real line out when you put the volume slide at the max.

Real Line-out of Calyx M? YES!"

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #569 of 6,549
It doesn't seem as though Calyx will be changing the memory capacity on this iteration of the Calyx-M, which is a pity (even if they just changed the MicroSD slot to a fullsize SD slot it'd help a bit...). I suppose it's not impossiblre that they give us a nice surprise when they release it, but not looking likely at this point.

I did see your exchange with the Calyx team, by the way:

Capacity aside, here are Calyx's official take on the other issues (quoted directly from their Facebook page):

Holly Molly, fly me to the moon, love Calyx.... my expectations of M sound quality went stratospheric, so happy i did not buy ak120 :D

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #570 of 6,549
If those THD numbers hold under load, the Calyx M really has a true line out with gain stage. Bypassing the internal amp is to avoid adding distortion on top of distortion. The M looks to be really clean. As I noted earlier, most (actually all...) high end home DACs have a gain stage. Sometimes it uses opamps, sometimes it is discreet, but it is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back