$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Dec 31, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #286 of 6,549
  And now, back to our regular programming...  who here is seriously considering buying this DAP?

count me in, if the sq is just as good as zx1 or ak100, I'll surely buy this one, I don't know why, but I think I've already taken a crush on this lol

btw, Happy New Year you all
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #287 of 6,549
128 Gb is a NO NO ! My Ak100'd 160 Gb are already FULL !

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #288 of 6,549
  ditto, doesn't look like it'll be a significant upgrade from my DX-100...

The only upgrade I can think of, possible easier to use and thinner design but for what cost? I seriously doubt that this M has a powerful amp section. Forget about DX100, I am almost sure it is not even as powerful as X3.

EDIT: Big thanks to Mython:

Originally Posted by Tindersticks 

calyx:
The output power is 70mW+70mW @ 16Ohm

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #291 of 6,549
I never really understood why people have to announce their subscription or un-subscription from a thread.

I am curious to see forthcoming reviews on the calyx. Has a release date been set?

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #292 of 6,549
Originally Posted by Mython /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And as also feared, there are no   [<<REW]    and    [FFW>>]    buttons...    (face-palm..!)
confused_face_2.gif

...I've been giving this some more thought.

...and I have concluded that the volume buttons that can be seen in this picture:

...may not be what they first appear.

I am now wondering if those '+' and '-' buttons may be slideable, not to control the volume by sliding, but to operate as normal press buttons for volume (when in the position lower down the DAP), and then be slideable to the  position you see in the pic, at which position the '+' and '-' buttons may then function as   [<<REW]    and    [FFW>>]    buttons... 

I could be completely wrong about this, but if my hypothesis is correct, then:

1) I am glad if there are [<<REW]    and    [FFW>>]  button functions, after all,

but

2) That would be a really stupid gimmick that just makes life more difficult for someone to operate the DAP whein it's in their pocket, so it would certainly be no grounds for Calyx to feel clever with themselves. It would also contribute to unnecessary wear and tear. The NW-ZX1 may not be perfect, but Sony got the buttons almost perfect, IMO.

We'll just have to wait and see what Calyx have done on the M...

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #294 of 6,549
[<>]  button functions will be à very Good news, but... 128 Gb Max ( if there is only 1 MicroSD slot) remain à deal breaker :frowning2:.

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #295 of 6,549
This DAP looks quite promising, especially since I'm going to need a good dap soon. I'm really thinking about getting this one or the Sony ZX1. If someone is willing to help me out with some advice I'd really appreciate it (http://www.head-fi.org/t/697751/advice-on-new-high-quality-dap-for-heir-audio-8-a).

Does the Calyx M feature balanced outputs and is the display and rest of the surface scratch resistant? I can't see this information anywhere.

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #296 of 6,549

Does the Calyx M feature balanced outputs and is the display and rest of the surface scratch resistant? I can't see this information anywhere.

I think you'll probably be disappointed on both of those particular counts, with the Calyx-M (though it may be wonderful in other respects).

One thing to be careful of (don't anyone flame me; Fairwell asked for a bit of help, choosing) is that the Sony has relatively low power output, and the output impedance is not yet known. However, it is ergonomically very well designed (e.g. wise button placement) and almost everyone reports that the user interface is a dream to use.

Personally, I would suggest you try to be patient and wait and see what the first 3 months of 2014 bring.

There's going to be a lot of audiophile DAP action happening, from Fiio, iBasso, Calyx, and (shudder!
wink.gif
) iRiver.  There may be even a wildcard from another vendor who perhaps hasn't shown their hand yet, so-to-speak.. Things are really hotting-up in this market segment, at long last.

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #297 of 6,549
It will take like 2 months till I get my CIEMs anyways and purchasing a DAP (+ shipping) is done in a couple of days. But if necessary I'm always on the side of willing to wait a couple more days to get the right things instead of rushing out to purchase the first thing I come across. :)

Both (the Sony + Calyx) look appealing design wise (design + buttons + size). I've read only good comments about the Sony in the corresponding thread but there is still no review out.

I was not aware that Ibasso, iRiver or Fiio are about to bring out new devices. Fiio just recently released their X3 (ok this is not a high end dap ...), no information about a new DX100 or something and iRiver just updated the AK120 to the Titan (even though the changes are not that big). But maybe all that is needed is some new input to get the whole thing going ... :)

Unfortunately the chinese information on the Calyx is also not all too informative.

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #298 of 6,549
  NO line out !
NO  >> Skip  botton (the one I use most when the AK is in my pocket, and want to go to the next song)
3.3 ohm output impedance !

--> ... NO Thanks !

plus, no infos about the DAC chip !  which one ?  one or dual ? 
apparently only 1 Micro-SD Slot ?

Agreed.  No line-out is LAME

Users who are viewing this thread

Back