$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Nov 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #106 of 6,549
  Even without any Physical buttons ?   Touch-Screen interface only for volume up-down, FF, pause... ! 
frown.gif

Do you know that for certain?

That 3D rendering is only a very crude one so I wouldn't completely rely upon it at this early stage.

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #107 of 6,549

Do you know that for certain?

That 3D rendering is only a very crude one so I wouldn't completely rely upon it at this early stage.

let's hope you are right and at the end we get a good surprise, but at least I don't see any physical Volume potar !

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #108 of 6,549
  let's hope you are right and at the end we get a good surprise, but at least I don't see any physical Volume potar !

I do agree with you that it is important to have physical controls rather than only touchscreen controls.I am a fan of iBasso's DX100, but it drives me crazy that one has to pull it out of one's pocket every time one wants to change the track etc.

I think it may be particularly an issue for DAPs produced by small companies, that rely upon Android as the operating system for the DAP. It obviously requires extra money and research to develop a 'layer' to facilitate the function of hardware buttons that interact with the Android OS in spite of the touchscreen being 'locked'.

Cheaper DAPs like Cowon's J3 have wonderful simple-but-effective hardware buttons for their proprietary operating systems, yet expensive DAPs like the DX100 are awful to use (the DX100 sounds fabulous though, so, in spite of it's shortcomings, I do still like it).

Like you, I really hope Calyx don't take the shortcut of not bothering to include hardware control buttons on their DAP.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #109 of 6,549

I do agree with you that it is important to have physical controls rather than only touchscreen controls.I am a fan of iBasso's DX100, but it drives me crazy that one has to pull it out of one's pocket every time one wants to change the track etc.

I think it may be particularly an issue for DAPs produced by small companies, that rely upon Android as the operating system for the DAP. It obviously requires extra money and research to develop a 'layer' to facilitate the function of hardware buttons that interact with the Android OS in spite of the touchscreen being 'locked'.

Cheaper DAPs like Cowon's J3 have wonderful simple-but-effective hardware buttons for their proprietary operating systems, yet expensive DAPs like the DX100 are awful to use (the DX100 sounds fabulous though, so, in spite of it's shortcomings, I do still like it).

Like you, I really hope Calyx don't take the shortcut of not bothering to include hardware control buttons on their DAP.

Wow you must have a large pocket to put the iBasso DX100 in your pocket.
tongue.gif

I totally agree with you, I can't hardly think of a player without buttons, it's so common nowadays that if you don't have any, you automatically infer that someone did not do their job in designing the UI. So please give me the buttons...
eek.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #110 of 6,549
ha, looks like i have to sell my DX100...
if the sound were good enough :p

still, subbed!

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #113 of 6,549
  What do you think the current capacity of the Calyx would be right now? It's got one slot.

A valid question, although I would point to the fact that at least with a card slot, one can easily rotate music content by inserting a different card, rather than the iPad where one would have to delete and repopulate the memory with different music tracks, which is a PITA, especially when iTunes so loves to 'synch' everything, by default.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #114 of 6,549
A valid question, although I would point to the fact that at least with a card slot, one can easily rotate music content by inserting a different card, rather than the iPad where one would have to delete and repopulate the memory with different music tracks, which is a PITA, especially when iTunes so loves to 'synch' everything, by default.

This, and the fact that it's from Calyx has me seriously intrigued.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #115 of 6,549

I don't disagree but the point was that the Ipad currently stores as much as the Calyx. Now, if there's 2 slots under that door it equals the AK120's storage. Like what they're doing but am also a physical button guy and am a bit concerned about their first shot at an OS.

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #118 of 6,549
Well, I don't know about you, but, to me at least, the Calyx still smells, at this stage, surprisingly strongly of vapourware, so I'm not getting too excited by it.

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #119 of 6,549
It's exactly how I feel about it but hopefully they read the forum and it helps. It will still be vaporware if they show one at CES. I'm aware of products that never became a reality but at least this is an existing company. Doesn't mean it will happen and showing something doesn't mean it's imminent even if it does. I wonder who will be 1st to the DAP market with the new low current Sabres.

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #120 of 6,549
   I wonder who will be 1st to the DAP market with the new low current Sabres.

I suspect that will be iRiver (AK line), followed by Fiio (X7) and possibly a surprise update to the DX100 from iBasso (I'm only guessing, so don't hold me to any of this).

Who knows what wild cards may be thrown down during 2014. Things are certainly gathering momentum in the audiophile DAP arena - their time to creep steadily into the mainstream may have finally arrived, especially with the gradual move towards Hi-Res music releases, and Sony have a massive back catalogue. I'm still happy with anything from flac 16/44.1 Redbook up to 24/96, so the biggest issue for me is in the circuit design and quality of the DAP rather than absolute uber-hi-res source files, but the point is that the more record labels that get on-board with hi-res and uber hi-res music releases, the more this will nudge the DAP market to improve, and the public consciousness to appreciate higher quality playback, throughout the playback chain.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but public consciousness, and the products to satisfy it's demands, does, gradually, evolve...
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back