$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Feb 21, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #5,941 of 6,549
Thanks @noplsestar and @jmills8 for having drawn my attention that double-amping was not (always) a bad idea. After a bad experience with another DAP I used to own with double-amping, the Calyx M is more and more connected to the somewhat cheap but capable Dethonray HA-2 amp. The IEMs of choice here are the Final E5000 and the Oriveti OH500.

The fantastic sound of the Calyx M is slightly enhanced by the clarity of the amp. The aforementioned IEMs take full benefit of the pairing, sounding a tad more open, the treble and the soundstage being airier, respectively wider.

I love Music so much, especially on Friday night. Have a nice week-end all of you.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #5,943 of 6,549
It will be great if Anson can bring on the market a new DAP including this great Amp everything in one piece !
Let him time. Dethonray is a brand to follow. Know-how is there. Step by step.

How do you like your Calyx M? What's your impression vs. DTR1 (with and without HA-2)?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #5,944 of 6,549
I unfortunately still did not get the opportunity to test it, it arrives at my office and I am still in the Middle East for a while. I am using now my Plenue S with this Class A Amp and I am delighted, sincerely hope the M alone will be as good as this combo.

Feb 22, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #5,945 of 6,549
I unfortunately still did not get the opportunity to test it, it arrives at my office and I am still in the Middle East for a while. I am using now my Plenue S with this Class A Amp and I am delighted, sincerely hope the M alone will be as good as this combo.
You will see then. Using the HA-2 with the M also is an experience.

Feb 22, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #5,947 of 6,549
For sure but not convenient on the go.
Yes, stacking devices on the go is not optimal, to say the least. Then, it comes to compromise and personal preference/priority. In that regard, for myself, at the office DTR1, in the train smartphone, at home DAP/Amp combos. What about you?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #5,949 of 6,549
The M has to be burned ?
If yes, how and how long ?
I did not experience any change in sound since I began to listen to it. It sounded great right from the start. I admit that I am not a big believer when it comes to "burn in". Maybe other owners have experienced a change in sound.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #5,950 of 6,549
WAV tags with Calyx M...
I personally like WAV files and found that M does read Album and Track tags but haven’t found the special sauce for Artist tag. Has anyone been able to accomplish this? I use Foobar2k for music management, FYI. Thanks!

Feb 23, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #5,951 of 6,549
WAV tags with Calyx M...
I personally like WAV files and found that M does read Album and Track tags but haven’t found the special sauce for Artist tag. Has anyone been able to accomplish this? I use Foobar2k for music management, FYI. Thanks!
Yeah, alas it seems that they didn’t manage to get it right with WAV files. I don’t think it can be accomplished ...

Feb 23, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #5,955 of 6,549
.wav is lossless the others are questionable regarding that
yeah, I know I know. But does anyone hear a difference between wav and flac? I mean, it’s not that it can be compared to the difference between a good MP3 file and red book. So I doubt it is worth to store those big WAV files. But of course, if someone can hear a difference, that’s cool, but I am glad to hear a difference between a good MP3 and CD quality :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back