$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
May 16, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #2,731 of 6,549
  The new 100 and 120 are now mini 240s and as such have 1 slot.

yes, but.. they do not have the 256Gb internal capacity !  still the original 64 & 128 Gb capacity... but with 1 memory card slot less !

May 16, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #2,732 of 6,549
   Well, my "old" AK100 has 2 micro-SD slots, and the V2 has only one !  same thing for AK120 v/s AK120-II!

LOL - iRiver proving, once again, that they care about no one but themselves and their dealers - what is their 'justification' for removing these memory slots on the updated models?

D&A must be rubbing their hands with glee, that iRiver DAPs now have only one memory slot.

May 16, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #2,733 of 6,549
First I am very surprised about users not happy with their ESS dacs, it shows it's all in the implementation so you DX90 owners please go line up returning your daps :D

Not surprised about iRiver they seem to make weird choices, their only constant is pricing, no mistakes there. :p

My hope is still with the M, maybe, but now the X7 might seem the dap to be. That's what we shall see. Their timeline is a killer though. :frowning2:

May 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #2,734 of 6,549
From their Facebook page: 
Q: Are the current demo units in Singapore and Hong Kong identical to the final production units ?
A: That is just for check of sound quality for the regional distributor. Retail product is much better
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #2,735 of 6,549
Q: Are the current demo units in Singapore and Hong Kong identical to the final production units ?

A: That is just for check of sound quality for the regional distributor. Retail product is much better:)  

Old news my friend, it's pretty dead quiet on Facebook with Calyx M news lately, there are busy dog and pony show their gears.

May 16, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #2,736 of 6,549
  After a day, M-HP100-HD600 sound became less 'digital' and more liquid while its sound signature is yet high-range empathized. I think my HP100/HD600 required some re-burn-in.

A general rule I have is that if I hear harshness when listening to a new product is that it needs some run-in time. I get this a lot with electronics. 

LOL - iRiver proving, once again, that they care about no one but themselves and their dealers - what is their 'justification' for removing these memory slots on the updated models?

Obviously because they are using the main electronics from the AK240, since that only has only one slot, so do the new models. You get a bigger screen instead.

A: That is just for check of sound quality for the regional distributor. Retail product is much better
smily_headphones1.gif

Old news my friend, it's pretty dead quiet on Facebook with Calyx M news lately, there are busy dog and pony show their gears.

They are extremely popular in Korea according to the CEO. I've had some anecdotal reports from people who heard both earlier and later demo units and the later ones sounded better, which parallels the Facebook comment.

May 16, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #2,737 of 6,549
A general rule I have is that if I hear harshness when listening to a new product is that it needs some run-in time. I get this a lot with electronics. 

Obviously because they are using the main electronics from the AK240, since that only has only one slot, so do the new models. You get a bigger screen instead.

They are extremely popular in Korea according to the CEO. I've had some anecdotal reports from people who heard both earlier and later demo units and the later ones sounded better, which parallels the Facebook comment.

My grip with the comments so far is that it leaves me quite puzzled as to what to expect from the M, I've always had the desire to see the M with a stellar SQ performance, something along the praised AK240 but at a more affordable prize. Am I wrong to say that the performance described so far has been at best dismal or is it too early to conclude on it? As far as what Koreans like, I would not know, I have my own preferences and to date the DX90 is the closest I can feel SQ wise. The new kid on the block would have to at least beat that and not require a moving truck to carry it around.

May 16, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #2,738 of 6,549
If you expect AK240 performance for 40% the buy in cost... you are looking at the wrong country of origin :wink:

As for size... get over it.  It's the size of a Samsung phone.  And Samsung shipped 320 million of them last year.  I think Calyx would be ok with selling that many of the M :p

May 16, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2,739 of 6,549
I have no issues with the M size, I in fact prototyped it and feel very comfortable with it. As far as price, I am frugal and as far as I know there is nothing wrong with that, besides 1000 $ us is no chump change, maybe for some rich kid millionaire but for a hard working professional, nothing to sneeze at, it pays easily a few monthly car loans and you still have to take bus 11 after paying for the dap.

May 16, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #2,740 of 6,549
  If you expect AK240 performance for 40% the buy in cost... you are looking at the wrong country of origin :wink:

As for size... get over it.  It's the size of a Samsung phone.  And Samsung shipped 320 million of them last year.  I think Calyx would be ok with selling that many of the M :p

If you have the M and a Samsung phone at the same time then it would add up. You can't bring M alone  on the road, but you always have to carry your Samsung phone. It won't be a problem at first but it will wear your down pretty fast. But perhaps it makes the bulge in front of your pant's front pockets look balanced
tongue_smile.gif

May 16, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #2,741 of 6,549
If you have the M and a Samsung phone at the same time then it would add up. You can't bring M alone  on the road, but you always have to carry your Samsung phone. It won't be a problem at first but it will wear your down pretty fast. But perhaps it makes the bulge in front of your pant's front pockets look balanced :tongue_smile:

Lol that dovetail quite nicely with the cargo pants. :D

May 17, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2,742 of 6,549
Has anyone considered maybe the M just needs a huge amount of burn in to sound good and the sound impressions were from unburned or semi burned Ms? If its anything like the DX90 it will need minimum 200 hours to sound decent, with 400 hours making it sublime. My dx90 sounded downright bad untill 100+ hours, when it started sounding only ok ish, it really needs huge amount of burn in. M could be the same?

May 17, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #2,743 of 6,549
Has anyone considered maybe the M just needs a huge amount of burn in to sound good and the sound impressions were from unburned or semi burned Ms? If its anything like the DX90 it will need minimum 200 hours to sound decent, with 400 hours making it sublime. My dx90 sounded downright bad untill 100+ hours, when it started sounding only ok ish, it really needs huge amount of burn in. M could be the same?

True, considering M has more parts on the analog section than DX90 has, I suppose a substial amount of burn in is a must. Unless D&A already did that before shipping each unit.

May 17, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #2,744 of 6,549
I think the AK100II would be a good comparison to the M. Price is around the same , however differences would be:

M: bigger size and highe res screen, much more storage, native DSD, 32 bit and full USB DAC playability.

AK100II: Much smaller size, Wifi streaming, High res App Store download - Groovers & Qobus, Bluetooth

I'm sure most hard up audiophiles would prefer M's features, but I'm leaning towards AK100II for convenience sake and feature wise. I'm sure SQ wise will be more or less the same with just a difference in sound signature.

May 17, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #2,745 of 6,549
I still recall the early excitement about this player and how it will compete with HM-901/DX100/AK240...since AK is planning to jack up the price again for AK100....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back