963SA pops and clicks?
Mar 21, 2003 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
Hey all,

I've got a quick question-- I play my speaker setup 24/7 & last night/very early this morning I awakened to notice the CD in my 963SA making clicky, skippy, poping sounds... I shut it down for a couple hours, and let it cool down and it's been alright since, but I'm wondering if anyone else expereinced anything like that? The CD playing was a blemish free origional not a CDR... I'm hoping this is not a problem that will worsen with age.

Fred

Mar 21, 2003 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 22
Both of my players occasionally make some barely noticeable clicks (every 1½ seconds) – not really bothering. But with some CDs one of them can produce a tractor-like noise during the first 1½ tracks due to strong vibrations (maybe caused by tracking efforts? – such a great unbalance of the corresponding CDs doesn't seem very likely).

peacesign.gif
JaZZ

Mar 22, 2003 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 22
Is it happening when you use upsampling? I've noticed that I have more issues with this sort of thing with upsampling than without.

As for CDR's, they should sound at least as good (if burned correctly) and quite possibly better (because of error-correcting qualities of the software) than their source. I've taken a 3 year old CDR that was beginning to break down (I could hear crackling when I played it) and re-burned a new one from the noisy old one that was crystal clear.

Mar 22, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 22
the CD I had a problem with was a week old mint copy of Dave Mathew Live at Luther College... it wasn't a CDR. Upsampling was on, I should have thought to experiment with that, and will if I have those issues again.

As for CDRs, I typically burn @ around 4x on TDKs for audio with my plextor, but from what I've read I am led to believe the quality of a dublication should NOT be equal, as going from pit and gooves to dyes makes some difference to the source... I dunno, bunch of technical stuff I'm not too familiar with, but I thought it was pretty much a fact that CDRs are not of the same fidelity as orrigionals?

Mar 22, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 22
That's not my understanding, although I don't claim to be the final authority.

Mar 22, 2003 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 22
I have not heard anything like you describe with my 963SA. I originally let it run in repeat for well over 150 hours without issue. There is a noise with some CD's when the player is searching for the first track. I do not have the CD you are having the problem with to try on my player.

Mar 22, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Gopher
but I thought it was pretty much a fact that CDRs are not of the same fidelity as orrigionals?

This is very much in dispute. There are some who claim that a carefully made CDR can sound better than the original. A commercial CD might have the spirals slightly off center, or some errors in pit spacing, etc. Extracting the bits and reburning on a CDR would preserve all of the information and eliminate the mechanical issues. There's more on this posted in various places on the net.

Mar 24, 2003 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 22
Some philips mechanisms are known to make slight clicks every few seconds,it's normal.

Mar 24, 2003 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Rob N
Some philips mechanisms are known to make slight clicks every few seconds,it's normal.

there has been some debate about this...mostly at audio asylum. my philips sacd 1000 was clicking loud enough to ruin the playback during low volume programs. It was repaired by philips, no more clicks. Other sacd 1000/ 963 owners described the same sort of click as mine while some others reported no clicks whatsoever or a very faint one [ heard at 1-2 feet or closer-mine was audible at 10-15...]

Mar 24, 2003 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 22
My MF Tri Vista has a Philips SACD mechanism and does make slight clicks (only audible from 1-2 ft away).When I sit in my seat about 5-6ft from the player, even when it's very quiet late at night, I cannot hear it.I phoned up MF and they said it was normal.

Mar 25, 2003 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 22
My 963SA also clicks every 1½ seconds, and it might be a problem if you listen to classical music which contains passages with really low volume level (huge dynamics). When I listened to it in my loudspeaker setup I could hear clicks from about 10 feet away when the volume level was really low (almost silent). I currently use it in my headphone rig so it's not a problem for me.

It seems it doesn't click on SACD and DVD playback though. However, if I remember correctly it does click both when upsampling is used and when it's off.

Mar 27, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 22
I wasn't refering to a mechanical click, though the transport is a tad annoying. The sound accompanies the music quite audbily at normal listening levels. It happened again today while listening to Nora Jones. This time it was a CDR, but it was on repeat for hours before it had happened. I briefly experiemented with the upsampling to see if that was the root of the problem. It was not. This CD also is blemish free, and has played through without error countless times.

Anyone have this problem?

Mar 27, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #13 of 22
and out of curisity, am I the only one here playing there 963 24/7? I notice the two times the problem has occured has been after 20+ some-odd hours of use.

Aug 12, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 22
I just received my 963sa, and yes, it clicks already. Took a little while to read the disc, too. I'm sure its ok. I'll not notice it, I hope, in the middle of movies, and definitely not with the HD600's clamped on my noggin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back