89$ Head-Direct RE0 vs 80$ Sunrise SW-Xcape
Jan 25, 2011 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

vytman

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for new IEMs since my Sennheiser CX-300 broke 
frown.gif

I've read a lot in this forum and I'm on the fence between Head-Direct RE0 and Sunrise SW-Xcape.
Thing is, those 2 are a little over my budget, but from what I understand reading around the forum, they are the best (or 2 of the best) in quality/price relation, so I guess I can save a little to have a lot.

The RE0 shipped is 89$ and the SW-Xcape is 80$ (free shipping).

At glance the SW-Xcape would be my 1st choice, but the cables seems to fragile compared to the RE0, and I have afraid they would brake like my CX-300 did 
confused_face.gif

My question is, are the RE0 worth the extra stretch (and is a big stretch since I was thinking on 60$ tops) on my budget physical and sound quality wise?

Or should I bet on a more budget friendly Brainwavz M2 and save my money?

I usually listen to music in my Samsung Galaxy S with Power Amp with Voodoo sound fix.

Thank you very much in advance guys!

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 17
Hi vytman,

I suggest reading jokers giant post and maybe other posts that did reviews on these IEMs.
As i understand it they are quite different soundwise.What they have in common is that they are all highly regarded/rated IEMs.

PS in Jokers post there is a review of the CX300. So you can compare his views with yopur own opinion of the CX300 and than you can read the other reviews and see which IEM would fit your taste the best.

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 17
I have no issues with the Sunrise Xcape cable, but I have heard about some build quality concerns with the RE0 (maybe an older version?).

I find the Xcape has SQ that approaches my favorite Fischer DBA-02, including nice quantity and quality of bass. Like most IEMs, it is fit and tip-dependent for SQ and how the emphasis is distributed. I'm still vacillating between the single flanges (stock and Shure E2c) and large biflanges from Head-Direct.

Regardless, I would buy them again.

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 17
I've had both.  I had the RE0 for 6 months or so and had no durability issues, but I baby all my IEMs -- carry case/bag, no stuffing in pockets, wrapping around DAP, other teen-ager type treatments. 
wink.gif
  I only had the SW-Xcape about a month, but I wasn't concerned with the cable, again because of how I took care of them.  I only sold them to move up the the Ety HF5, which is better than both of them, but up in the $120 range.

SQ-wise, I enjoyed the SW-Xcape more than the RE0.  They have very similar sound, but the SW-Xcape has a bit more body and fullness in the bass and mids.  No one can match the smoothness of the RE0 highs, but the SW-Xcape highs were just fine, still clean, crisp and clear.  The RE0 is a detail freak for a dynamic and the SW-Xcape is nearly as good, but just a tad behind the RE0.

The SW-Xcape responded better to a bit of EQ in the lower regions than the RE0, if you use EQ in moderation.  With the SW-Xcape I could actually feel some bass impact (thump), but with the RE0 I could only hear the bass thump, never feel it, making the SW-Xcape more musical and enjoyable to listen to.

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks for all the replies guys 
wink.gif

I've read jokers post and man, what a post 
tongue_smile.gif

I think either way I can't go wrong and it will be a major improvement over my CX300.

I guess I'm leaning towards the SW-Xcape since there aren't reports of durability issues and it's 10$ cheaper. The acclaimed detail and accuracy of the RE0 makes me really wan't to try them, but on the other hand I think the SW-Xcape will be a safer choice since the RE0 can sound boring to someone...but again, the smoothness of the RE0... 
biggrin.gif

Keep coming your opinions 
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 17
Not very familiar with your setup, but Re0 needs a lot of juice to sound at their best.

Have you considered buying used? ReZERO has been floating around the $60-70 range around F/S.

M2 is still great at their price point though, it really all depends on your preferences.

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 17
SW-Xcape>RE0 imo. The RE-Zero on the other hand is a good contender against it. Compared to RE-Zero the Xcapes are a more v shaped iem (but balanced in all frequencies overall) whereas the RE-Zeros are a more mid-focused iem. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Not very familiar with your setup, but Re0 needs a lot of juice to sound at their best.

Have you considered buying used? ReZERO has been floating around the $60-70 range around F/S.

M2 is still great at their price point though, it really all depends on your preferences.

I have a FiiO E5 although I don't use it very often.

Quote:
SW-Xcape>RE0 imo. The RE-Zero on the other hand is a good contender against it. Compared to RE-Zero the Xcapes are a more v shaped iem (but balanced in all frequencies overall) whereas the RE-Zeros are a more mid-focused iem. 

V shaped means it has more bass and treble like one can see in an equalizer?

Thanks guys.

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 17
yes, but the Xcapes are nothing like the HJE900s or TF10s the v curve is very slight. Overall it's a pretty linear iem don't expect the treble and bass overpowering the mids like the 2 previously mentioned. Also depending on your source, the E5 will most likely be a downgrade. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 17
Go for the RE0 then. With even a simple bass boost from the Fiio E5, the RE0 has so much bass in them. And i detected no downgrade in detail whatsoever when using it. Never heard the Xcapes before but the RE0s are very fine sounding. And theres the saying that the best portable amp is a cheap amp with bass boost as even with the isolation from better inears, the detail and technical aspects of better amps are lost in the noise or drowned out.

Quote:
Quote:

I have a FiiO E5 although I don't use it very often.

Quote:

V shaped means it has more bass and treble like one can see in an equalizer?

Thanks guys.

Quote:
yes, but the Xcapes are nothing like the HJE900s or TF10s the v curve is very slight. Overall it's a pretty linear iem don't expect the treble and bass overpowering the mids like the 2 previously mentioned. Also depending on your source, the E5 will most likely be a downgrade. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 17
E5 would only raise the volume of RE0, it wouldn't be able to drive RE0 sufficiently.

V shape signature means that there's more emphasis on bass and treble, but xcape can sound like that because both RE0 and RE-ZERO are more mid-focused IEMs.

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #13 of 17
Basically both are equally well made, but the Xcape in-ears feature a warmer more bass heavy sound signature compared to the RE0s. The RE0s improve more with amplification, but the deciding factor should be which sound signature you are looking for. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back