Apr 30, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #286 of 483
I made a DC power umbilical cable for connecting the microRendu and UpTone LPS-1, essentially similar to the cable UpTone includes with their JS-2 power supply.

Your soldering is much neater than mine! Looks like you have a proper vice to help. I've never quite overcome the need for 4 hands to solder a cable: 1 hand to hold the connector, 1 for the cable, 1 for the solder and one for the soldring iron. As I only have 2 hands and no proper vice, something is bound to go wrong :).

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #288 of 483
Yes, very nicely done. I made a pair of 7 volt cables this weekend also. I used some Chinese balanced cable from Amazon, some Neutric connectors from mouser, and a connector for the power out of my HDPlex 100 LPS (some funky screw on "aircraft" connector). Cable to the Uptone Ultracap LPS1 and then one on to the microRendu. I'd like to claim that I detected some blatant, or even, subtle, improvements in micro detail, or bass tightness, but then I put the volume back to my usual, and it sounded the same.

Fun exercise in cable making. I do feel better knowing what the wires are, and that there are no stamped connections present.

Although I had no issues with the wrapped shielding, be sure to always check your cables for shorts after creation, just as he showed. I was having issues with all sorts of components until I figured out that I had a bad (commercial) XLR cable (intermittent shorts). I started making interconnect cables of my own after that, and it's why I had that balanced wire to begin with.

I just used one of those cheap 3rd hand things to hold either the connector, or the wire.

Next up, some long RCA interconnects using mini mogami quad.

May 5, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #290 of 483
Hi folks!
I have my MicroRendu with iFi PSU for couple of months now and it was connected to Nuprime DAC-9. But now, when I aquired Hugo DAC, I hear relatively loud noice (hum, buzz) from the speakers (Naim-Linn system as in description). What can be the reason for that? So far I know that it's because Hugo is a battery DAC not being properly earthed, but are there any remedies to this particular issue?
Sound is a bit better that with NuPrime though.
On the other hand there have been a lot of posts regarding heating of mR (in my case iFi PSU-9V). What would be the most suitable upgrade meaning LPS of what voltage can be ideal?

May 5, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #291 of 483
looking forward to hearing from those who have the MR and ultracaps lps1...and who've just bought the newly released Iso Regen....is it overkill or not needed, esp since galvanic isolation etc is, if i'm correct, already supposedly in place with the MR and Ultracaps chain.

May 5, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #293 of 483
Are the Majik, Supernait, and mRendu all plugged into the same AC circuit?
Yes, all three of them (mR, Hugo and SN). I'll try to use the other AC. Hmmm... Would gadgets like USB Regen or Schiit Wyrd help eventually?

May 6, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #295 of 483
Router is plugged in different AC circuit. No hum if connected to my other (Nuprime) DAC though. It appears even if Hugo is disconnected from the AC circuit. Didn't check the ethernet though. Disappears when mR is disconnected from the circuit, even with ethernet cable attached on it (mR). I don't think it's router (apple extreme).

May 9, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #297 of 483
Problem finally solved!
Just for the information it was not the ethernet cable nor was TV system ground but the fact that the amplifier was connected to (temporarily) not used Nuprime DAC which has connected interconnects to Supernait, but pulled away power cable from A/C! The moment you plug the cable in, the hum disappeared. By totally removing Nuprime, the system has worked without ground loop. microRendu has not been the cause.
Thanks for the assistance.

May 12, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #300 of 483
Hey guys, just bought this thing blind. Now I have to go through this thread to see how to use this thing when it lands in Saigon. Looking forward.

I guess most people have bought the mR blind....I certainly did. I don't think you'll be disappointed. My own experience, I just followed the fairly short instructions that come with the unit, and it just worked. I decided to start off with Squeezelight mode, as it seemed to be the simplest to get going with. After that you can experiment with the other modes. If you're already a Roon user then that seems pretty straightforward as well. You might need some hours to let the mR 'run-in' to get the best out of it and I suggest a reasonable USB cable and you should be set.

What power supply will you be using ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back