8 years ago . . .
Mar 12, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #76 of 286
I'm liking my current set-up a lot:

DAC: Gungnir
Amp: Zana Deux
HP: HD 800 ..using unmodded but looking at the Anax mod....looking to get the DHC Complement 2 cable

Definitely comes within your budget.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #77 of 286
If you want value for money I can recommend HD800 & Questyle cma800r, thats my setup and it kills HE6 with speaker amp i had before. 
Questyle should work well with LCD3 too :wink: 

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #78 of 286
Liquid Silk? Is this a successor to the Lightning? Tubed maybe?  (Maybe I missed this in some other thread...).

The Silk is a hybrid amp, so yes, it has some tubes in it. I don't think it's quite a direct descendant of the LL (which I have never heard), but I am not sure. There may not have been a thread about it yet, since it's only in prototype stage right now. You may want to check the recent Bay Area post-meet thread, a few people posted their impressions there.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #79 of 286
Wyred4Sound DAC2 with the DSD and se upgrades.

Balanced Amp of your choice (I use a Headroom Balanced Desktop Amp with PSU for space and anti tube office reasons, although no longer sold)

Senn HD800 (I found that using them balanced makes them more lively)

After a lot of tries, this is my end game setup at my office, using the macbookpro on my desk as a source.  I am on the list of BHSE in construction for my home unit...

Mar 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #83 of 286
The rig that I will probably settle for the next several years as my reference system:

$1500  Bel Canto Reflink USB->SPDIF converter (70 femptosecond jitter)
$1300  Violectric V800 DAC (115 dB real dynamic range when used with Reflink, resampling set to OFF)
$2500  Zana Deux SE with P&G pot option (can actually deliver the dynamic range provided by Reflink & V800)
$1400  Sennheiser HD800

I measured many performance attributes myself in my sound lab. Additionally this system has 109 dB channel isolation to maximize the imaging possible with the HD800.

This system is $6.7K leaving $800 for an additional headphone such as a T90 or even a T1 when on sale.

Mar 12, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #84 of 286
Sorry I've been absent, but we have been on a cruise since Sunday (and internet access is WICKED PRICEY and SLOW on the ship). I am now committed to proceeding in stages so as to avoid taking interim, ultimately costly steps that end up only proving to be a distraction from what I fervently believe I want, which is the 009.  I loved every minute I spent with the 007, and not a soul has suggested that the 009 wouldn't be a step up.

So, as I think I mentioned earlier, I am going to start with the DAC, probably the Aurlic Vega, but will consider a couple of alternative DACs.  I am not going to move on buying the 009, as the real issue is finding an amp.  I wish Headamp were an alternative, but it sounds like the wait time is highly unpredictable.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned commissioning a suitable amp.  Anyone know of any definitive suggestions in that regard?  Alternatives?  If you have an idea or suggestion, but would prefer a more discrete environment, please pm me.

I'll be home Saturday night.

Great hearing from a couple of old acquaintances, especially jjcha!  Yes, I was an idiot for getting rid of my Stax rig!

Mar 12, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #85 of 286

The Hugo is certainly a nice piece of gear, but it's a big compromise. As good as the sound is, it can't touch a desktop rig that is equal to its price, and it's a little large to be portable, especially with things plugged into it and poking out the sides. Transportable, yes.

I used to have a super thick portable CD player that I would just stick in a hiking backpack.

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #86 of 286
I don't know how many will post in this thread, but there are those of us who prefer the SR-007 to the SR-009. I'm one of them.  The SR-007 has a more natural tone to me.

I wouldn't consider it a slam dunk you will prefer the SR-009 to the SR-007.

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #87 of 286
Surprised no one has suggested the Abyss headphones yet.

Yes, they would eat up the largest chunk of your budget at 5.5k, but that leaves two grand to buy a high end Schiit stack, which is an excellent dac/amp combo that you could always upgrade from in the future, but really, you wouldn't even need to.

IMO spend the most one your cans.

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #89 of 286
I loved every minute I spent with the 007, and not a soul has suggested that the 009 wouldn't be a step up.

I've been letting everyone have their say, trying to not be confrontational. While I do think the SR-009 is a different headphone than the 007, but I'm not sure I would say it's better, especially if you liked the 007 previously. The part that gets me in trouble (and threads derailed) is saying I prefer the HD800 over any of the Stax headphones.

So, as I think I mentioned earlier, I am going to start with the DAC, probably the Aurlic Vega, but will consider a couple of alternative DACs.  I am not going to move on buying the 009, as the real issue is finding an amp.  I wish Headamp were an alternative, but it sounds like the wait time is highly unpredictable.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned commissioning a suitable amp.  Anyone know of any definitive suggestions in that regard?  Alternatives?  If you have an idea or suggestion, but would prefer a more discrete environment, please pm me.

Are you able to go to a meet somewhere? I mentioned the Dallas meet coming up on May 4th. Hopefully you are free and close by so you can attend and sample the latest-greatest. If you live near Austin, I would invite you to seek out Patrick of Nice-Cans.com, who carries some of the popular dynamic flagships you can audition, and also Alex Cavalli who makes the Liquid Lightning/Silk electrostat amps. I'm sure he would be glad to have you audition one locally. I believe Alex still has an SR-009 he uses to demo his stat amps, so you could try them there.

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #90 of 286
If you're looking for that inner details galore, then you might want to stick to Stax -007/009 KGSSHV/Electra/BHSE w/ any decent DAC. Or like other's 
have suggested HD800 GS-X, ECP, EC S7/BA w/ any decent DAC.

HE-6 and a speaker amp could do it, the rest of the field won't cut it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back