8 year old looking for $4 Headphones
Oct 29, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #46 of 64
^ I kind of agree with that but if that kid has an appreciation for audio at that age and perhaps wants a great set, then who are we to say they shouldn't get it? lol :p

Audiophiles are not common, 99% of the rest of the world looks at us like we are crazy for paying that much for headphones...but I think people are equally crazy for spending $2000+ for an HDTV :\

lol :3

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #47 of 64
I disagree with TV's since to me audio/video go together. For me it's cars... spending a small fortune on performance you can't actually enjoy without getting a ticket, and can potentially be wrecked/vandalized/broken into at any time.

And jewelry. Okay, engagement and wedding stuff has significance, but for everything else at the end of the day a diamond is just a shiny, ridiculously expensive piece of coal with no practical use. Think of all the headphones you could buy!

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #50 of 64

Quote:
Kids know that everyone's parenting instincts will come out and/or many adults like to show off their infinite wisdom and they will get plenty of response to their questions. That's the way I see it.
popcorn.gif

This. ^

Perhaps it's also to stand out from the other 8,309,509,209 similar threads. I'm new here but I joined because I've already got my first nice set of cans, and I've been through two or three now to get to this point. I learned virtually everything I know about headphones from HeadRoom and Head-Fi, and I did it by lurking here for half a year. I know we're here to help and all, but it seems like people are going to greater and greater lengths to not do research. This age thing might be the latest step.

/grumpy

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #51 of 64

Quote:
1. Get 2.

2. Let them have babies.

3. Sell on icanhascheezburger.

4. Profit.

Shouldn't there be a "???" step in there somewhere?

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #52 of 64
Personally I think it's mostly psychological. 

Most teens nowadays live in environments where they need constant positive feedbacks from their peers, and it would be hard to make a decision without it.

By posting their age, they want to get feedbacks from those in the similar age group, to determine what is best choice for their needs from those with similar backgrounds.

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #53 of 64
There is a basic desire to disclose, to be known by others. The unsolicited giving of personal information is common and comes from primordial social strivings. Shall we mock these people?

No. Let us join hands, all.

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #55 of 64
Oct 29, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #56 of 64

Quote:
This. ^

Perhaps it's also to stand out from the other 8,309,509,209 similar threads. I'm new here but I joined because I've already got my first nice set of cans, and I've been through two or three now to get to this point. I learned virtually everything I know about headphones from HeadRoom and Head-Fi, and I did it by lurking here for half a year. I know we're here to help and all, but it seems like people are going to greater and greater lengths to not do research. This age thing might be the latest step.

/grumpy

The same here, yet I understand the 'inexperienced' Head-Fi members. How do you find the relevant information and where?

But posting you age, you can be young and very smart so you can improvise a bit. Asking questions is O.K. but if you do not inform yourself and only rely on other 'opinions' you can get very disappointed. Just try things and hope for the best...      

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #58 of 64

Quote:
Nah, they just know that headphone geeks have a thing for puppies and babies. For anyone who ain't one of 'em, we throw the 'search' warning. Pure pragmatics - and manipulation.

And chicks. You mustn't forget chicks.

Any thread along the lines of "22 year old female desperately needs headphone help! I have puppies!" will get 1000+ replies by the end of the week. I guarantee it!

Oct 29, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #59 of 64
Any thread along the lines of "22 year old female desperately needs headphone help!

Who are you kidding.  Any female says she needs help with anything will get a thousand replies..........by the end of the day.

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #60 of 64

Sense we are talking about the philosophy of economics and sociology instead of headphones now I will throw in my 2 cents and say that the world as a whole has come to expect less and less of the younger generation. If I am not mistaken one (possibly more) of the founding fathers of the united states was 13 when he became an ambassador for the USA. I was 13 when I finished High school and started my first company some people thought that I was really something special or above average, I do not think so. I am inclined to believe that I am today because of decisions I made when I was very young and I was allowed to pursue my goals at a young age. In shot I will agree that age makes no difference but I can remember the first time I walked into a high end audio store at 14 to addition a pair of 400 dollar headphones the guy looked a little weird at me and told me you realize these cost 400! dollars right? I didn't bat an eye and said yes do you happen to have the ones that are a step or two up from these ? And he was stumped and said he didn't stock them because he didn't have any customers that could afford them. LOL .
So it is US the now older generation that must expect more from the kids treat them like adults and give them the responsibilities as soon as they are willing to assume them. In the long run the idea of letting kids be kids is what gives us so many stupid politicians and antagonistic immature 40 year olds on forums now days. EXPECT MORE from youth and treat them with respect because failing to teach them what we know will end the cycle of learning and turn our clocks back yet another generation.

POST your age if you think its important . More importantly if you are younger learn all you can don't be afraid to provide input and don't get cocky and you will learn more from your friends at Head-FI than you can from all your indoctrination at school. (maybe that's stretching it a bit) And if that won't work go rob a bank. AXE sharpened enough.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back