8 year old looking for $4 Headphones
Oct 28, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #31 of 64
Quote:
Quote:
kingtz said:

I'm still holding my breath for a "Sexy 21 year old female needs headphone help from nerdy guy" thread.

I have that DVD.

tongue_smile.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #33 of 64
haha

When I saw the thread title I actually thought it was cool that someone was so young, and was trying to maximize such a tiny budget.  Proof that there's better choices for every budget!

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #34 of 64
Maybe as a 16 year old, I can provide some insight.

Kids always feel as if their age makes them somewhat exclusive. By adding their age to the thread title, they also feel as if they're adding some sort of insight into what they want and expect a certain level of "awe" for posting in such a "mature" forum. Often, they get it. On a more pragmatic front, they also get an absolute boatload of advice. Maybe I underestimate the manipulative nature of said 13 year old. 

I know I'm certainly guilty of leveraging my age for advice and things of that variety on other forums. I've since realized its stupidity, but its a oddly natural instinct. 

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #35 of 64

Quote:

Kids always feel as if their age makes them somewhat exclusive. By adding their age to the thread title, they also feel as if they're adding some sort of insight into what they want and expect a certain level of "awe" for posting in such a "mature" forum. Often, they get it. On a more pragmatic front, they also get an absolute boatload of advice. Maybe I underestimate the manipulative nature of said 13 year old. 

I know I'm certainly guilty of leveraging my age for advice and things of that variety on other forums. I've since realized its stupidity, but its a oddly natural instinct. 

So I was right then? Yes!!! lol

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #36 of 64

Posting their age and let others know how much they can afford and tell their budget and all the details for the sake of better suggestion. That's how I get it.

Yup. That's what I think as well. It's simply a way for them to communicate. I would use it if I was seeking similar advise on speakers. I know I can afford to play with headphones, but speakers would be a little out of my league when it comes to money, thus my age would be a helpful guide to this giving me advise.

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

Judging by this post I would have guessed you were a college student. Then look at the 17 year old thread who is older than you... ugh. And explain why a 23 year old feels his age is relevant in the least? This only further supports my statement that this has nothing to do with age and everything to do with maturity.

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #39 of 64
Just curious, why are people posting their age along with how much they're willing to spend on a pair of headphones?

If you have teenage kids, it's an easy behavior to understand.  If you don't have teenage kids or older, it's hard to explain.  To me, based upon my parenting experiences, statement of age denotes an expectation of understanding.

"I'm sixteen." Tells me much in where the individual is at regarding experience and the question being posed.  Yes, it's incumbent upon those who are older and wiser to climb inside themselves and let the wisdom of their experience shine though when confronted with statements of this kind as opposed to complaining or attacking.

Being a parent is the hardest job you'll undertake.  Showing understanding towards others, isn't much easier.  If understanding were easy, there'd never be any war or strife in life.

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #40 of 64
Why do they post their age? This is very simple.
Par exemple: "I have a budget of $200. I listen to jazz, classical, and some rap. What headphones should I get?"
Recommendation: "Well, if you stretch your budget a little the HD600 is perfect for $300. What source are you using?"
Then it begins...

On Head-Fi members tend to try to stretch others budgets. This is understandable. My budget was originally $80. You guys managed to persuade me to get SR-225i's though....and a uDac. This did not come up to $80 but it sounds almost perfect to me.
By stating you are 13 you are implying you cannot stretch your budget very much since you lack a steady source of income. 
Outside of being a child there is no reason to state your age. There was a 40 some odd year old feller around here though...

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #41 of 64
Again with maturity. Why imply when you can outright say "budget is $xxx.xx. Capped." Maybe won't stop people from trying to break your budget but it isn't all that hard to ignore suggestions that don't fit your criteria either.

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #42 of 64

Quote:
Why do they post their age? This is very simple.
Par exemple: "I have a budget of $200. I listen to jazz, classical, and some rap. What headphones should I get?"
Recommendation: "Well, if you stretch your budget a little the HD600 is perfect for $300. What source are you using?"
Then it begins...

On Head-Fi members tend to try to stretch others budgets. This is understandable. My budget was originally $80. You guys managed to persuade me to get SR-225i's though....and a uDac. This did not come up to $80 but it sounds almost perfect to me.
By stating you are 13 you are implying you cannot stretch your budget very much since you lack a steady source of income. 
Outside of being a child there is no reason to state your age. There was a 40 some odd year old feller around here though...

Isn't that what I just said? XD

Anyways. I would literally LOL if I saw a thread that read "Hi, I'm 100 years old and I'm looking for headphones. Please recommend me a headphone." Though what are the chances of that happening?

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #44 of 64
Hey guys,

As a 17 year old, I would like to defend myself and the rest of the teenage population here at Head-Fi. Like what CarlosLees said, "Posting their age and let others know how much they can afford and tell their budget and all the details for the sake of better suggestion. That's how I get it," I would agree with this 100%. I tell people my age in Head-Fi as an excuse honestly, it's an excuse for me, and for the community, on why I chose to get a HD 650 instead of a HD 800. It's an excuse for me to buy a budget DAC, a budget amplifier, when the rest of the community chooses to buy Woo Audio's and other expensive amplifiers at unheard of prices that I can only dream of buying. You guys make it seem as if there is a huge, HUGE difference. The cynic in me tries to convince me otherwise, but my HD 650's keep begging me for more. 

Another reason is college. At least for the 17 - early 20 age range. We are broke. We are poor. I could relate to somebody's post when they say that they are in their teen years as opposed to somebody who is a full tax paying adult. We live in a different realm away from the adults. So, when teens talk about how great their headphones sound, I factor in their sacrifice, their opportunity cost (studying for an Econ test atm, procrastinating, don't criticize), in doing so. Was it worth it to them? Does the $xxxx.xx headphone really sound 10x better than my $xxx.xx headphone? That's what I think of when I see reviews made by teens like me.

As for the 17 year old's thread. I read it. He is a rude, conceited, selfish troll. My grammar sucks, I know. I didn't score an 800 on the Writing section of the SAT's. However, it ticks me off when I see teens like me not capitalizing the start of each sentence or using abbreviations. Is "you" really that hard to type? An extra 2 letters? Seriously? I apologize on behalf of all the teens on Head-Fi; teenagers who respect other people's opinions exists.

Thanks.  

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #45 of 64
I don't think there needs to be an excuse for one's budget. Headphones are not by any means a cheap hobby. The only time where age becomes a factor for me here is if they are going to be a gift. Say what you will but I would never buy $300 headphones for a 13 year old. I think a lot of kids and teens take what they have for granted and don't really understand what they have. Heck, I don't let my friends my age touch any of my stuff because they don't treat stuff with care; get fingerprints and who knows what all over CDs/DVDs/Blu-Rays etc.

Now if a 13 year old earned $300 by mowing lawns, baby-sitting, washing cars, good for them. I feel that if you work for your money you are entitled to do whatever you like with it.

Anyways I guess I kinda wandered off topic. How these kids got the money in the end is irrelevant and does not mean they are any less deserving of our help and suggestions. But yes, when a kid waltz's in here demanding feedback and feedback is given, and in turn all of it gets thrown back in our faces and they sit down and have a tantrum, I'm sorry but get out. Age has nothing to do with it. It's when you behave like a brat that gets you that target on your back.

EDIT: Just to be clear I am still mostly referring to the 17 year old thread. I haven't been involved much in the 13 year old thread but seems like a perfectly nice kid to deal with. I'll sum all this into one statement: I don't hate kids. I hate brats. Happy Head-Fi'ing kiddies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back