8.8 EarthQuake in Chile
Feb 27, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You serious?!
eek.gif
This is going to have major repercussions. Brace yourself and watch the stock market drop in addition to the casualties of the quake.
frown.gif

Apparently Chile supplies 34 percent of the worlds copper. Sell sell sell!

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently Chile supplies 34 percent of the worlds copper. Sell sell sell!

It might already be too late. When the market opens, it could have taken a bit hit already.

Feb 27, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #19 of 39
don't sell buy it before the price reflects the change then sell sell sell

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #22 of 39
How do that scale work... From memory for example a 8.8 earth quake is twice as hard as a 8.7?

The Tsunami that killed 200000 people or what it was in Thailand and other places was also off shore.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do that scale work... From memory for example a 8.8 earth quake is twice as hard as a 8.7?

The Tsunami that killed 200000 people or what it was in Thailand and other places was also off shore.

Yeah, that one in Thailand was off shore.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
9.8? Holy crap. That's a shaker. I hope damage is just limited to structures, but that's unlikely with one that big. I've been through (I think) about a 7, but the scale is not linear... a 9.8 is just frightening.

A 9.8 would be the earth opening up to swallow you.

An 8.8 is really powerful, though. I hope that it was in one of the sparsely populated regions of chile.

Oqvist: The scale is just a log10. So .3 units higher means 2X harder. A 9.0 would be 2x more powerful than an 8.7

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's also really scary is that there's zero communication with that whole area around Talcahuano/Concepcion. Who knows what destruction is over there, whether it's underwater or flattened, or both..

So there has been a total black out now.. that is very helpless situation...

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's a typo - the linked article states 8.8. Still, that's pretty insane.

Title corrected, thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #27 of 39
Aaah, not as massive as first announced. Thank god!
From 9.8 down to 8.8. Still strong, but now that destructive..

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #28 of 39
Yup, got news of this last night and a tsunami warning has been issued for the Hawaiian islands. The warning was issued by the Pacific Tsunami Warning center in Honolulu at 12:45 a.m. this morning. There were reports of waves with a height of around 8 feet on the shores of Chile after the quake. The quake happened at around 4:30 p.m. Friday Hawaiian standard time. We are now having people who live near costal areas to evacuate to higher grounds. People in hotels around Waikiki have been evacuated to floors above the 4th floor. As I'm typing this they have just sounded the warning sirens. Stores and gas stations are currently filled with people stocking up on supplies. The first wave is expected to arrive on the south and east shores of Big Island at around 11:05 a.m. this morning then arrive on the shores of Honolulu at around 11:19 a.m.

The last time a tsunami was generated by a quake south of Chile that had hit the Hawiian islands was nearly 50 years ago.

1960 Chilean Tsunami

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32912172@N00/2907177224/

That tsunami destroyed the town of Hilo on the Big Island and much of the Hamakua coast. So we now all sit and wait to see what will happen here with in the next few hours in Hawaii.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #29 of 39
Oh wow!
eek.gif

I hope the tsunami doesnt cause much damage and nobody is hurt!!!
Thats scary!

Keep us updated to see if they get hit.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #30 of 39
Latest report from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center is that waves of about 6' will approach the South and East shores of the Big Island at around 11:19 a.m. and 3' waves to arrive on the shores of Honolulu at around 11:30 a.m. It's a good thing that the latest report has the wave heights smaller than what it has been reported earlier. However, it's not so much the height that has many concerned but the volume of water that will be coming in and the speed at which the waves are traveling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back