7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
Nov 20, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #346 of 548
I have a question for all of you. I have a white 160gb and my click wheel isn't flush like my 80gb classic was. Now it is uniformally not flush meaning it's equally raised around the circle. I can't measure it but it's about half a mm raised (guessing here). Can you check yours and post your findings?

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #348 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by So_Sweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, mines a bit laggy too.. I have to turn like a CM before it starts moving lol...

Mines laggy as hell too. It's driving me crazy. I'm taking it back to the Apple store to get it checked out.

Today I was listening to an album and each track seemed to crash before it ended. They were Apple lossless files and the album was Duke Spirit's Neptune. Cache issue? But why only that album?

Nov 21, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #349 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Fire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a simple question : iPod Touch 3G vs this new iPod Classic.
SQ of course (HO and line-out)

This has been *extensively* debated in this forum and the prospect of another 50 posts on this is truly horrifying - if you can afford the Touch, and you dont need 160GB, get it. If you are totally obsessed with SQ, look outside the Apple empire.

Nov 21, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #350 of 548
the Touch has so many other functions other than the IPOD Classic - I'd get the Touch

I had a original Classic didn't like it - bought a 2G Touch and I prefer (although still a bit bright for my liking) the Touch, the Classic sounded way over bright

Nov 21, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #351 of 548
I enjoy the best of both worlds with an iPhone 3GS 16gb and a 160gb Classic...I am fortunate to be able to have both.

Nov 21, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #352 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingsabr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question for all of you. I have a white 160gb and my click wheel isn't flush like my 80gb classic was. Now it is uniformally not flush meaning it's equally raised around the circle. I can't measure it but it's about half a mm raised (guessing here). Can you check yours and post your findings?

anyone??
beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #357 of 548
Talk about years instead generations...The 2007 160Gb Classic is thicker than 2009 version so cases will not match. cases for the 2008 120 Gb Classic fit perfectly. Hope that it helps

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #358 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenlax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick off topic question: Will the 6th gen cases work for the 7th gen?

Thanks

I picked up a Belkin acrylic case for the 1st release classic for a few bucks the other week. Inside were 2 bottom bits for both the 80GB and the 160GB. The 2nd release 120GB will fit in the 80GB one and my new 3rd release 160GB, that is the subject of this thread, fits perfectly in the same thinner one.

So as elfary says, yes.

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #359 of 548
Curious about the somewhat contradicting reports in this thread, I went to my local Tesco with my Cowon D2 and UM3X in my bag. Contestants: the new Ipod Touch, the new Ipod Classic, my D2 and my 2008 120Gb Classic left at home (but I've been using it a lot for almost a year so I'm well familiar with its SQ).
Cowon D2 - dead flat, cold, analytical but very revealing (mind you, all effects and EQs turned off). The new Touch - probably a bit better. A little more weight, maybe an improved imaging and I think, I'm not very sure but I think - better textures. All in all probably a bit better but nothing major and the overall sound is, similar to my Cowon, on the analytical side of things. Ipod Classic - wow! Big time wow! The first thing you notice moving from the Touch to the new Classic is a much improved soundstage. Where the Touch sounds flat, the classic adds a lot of space between instruments and voices. I couldn't really believe it so I went back and forth several times. The same tunes played over and over on both - only to come to the conclusion that I'm not mad and the seemingly broader, wider soundstage on the Classic is definitely there. Moreover, the overall SQ is, to my ears, significantly better on the Classic compared to the Touch. A lot more detail, better textures, an overall smoother, more enjoyable presentation, a weight that leaves no chance to the Touch or my old Cowon. Still in disbelief, I've checked the EQ settings on all three players. All flat, no processing of any sort. Back to the Classic - yep, it's that good, indeed! Now, after the initial surprise, some critical listening. First of all, neither the Classic, nor the Touch display any hiss at all with my Westones. Secondly, while the Touch sounds flat because probably has a flat response, I think the new classic is equalised. And I mean heavily equalised from the factory. A frequency graph would indeed be very helpful. I think there's a significant boost in the low/high frequencies, but also some sort of widening/spacing effect applied to the sound. The good thing is - if you're after this kind of sound, it really does the trick. It's loud, it covers most bases, there is no discernible hiss or distortion. But if you are more into the hifi territory, the Touch is probably closer to the musical truth.
Now regarding the old dispute between the 5.5G lovers and the Classic supporters, I've had both. I find the old 5.5G, sonic-wise, to today's standards, almost unbearable. A warm but bloated sound, heavy distorsion, annoying hiss levels. The great thing about it, however, is Rockbox and that alone is a big issue for me. I've never been an iTunes fan, although I've had quite a few Ipods, Macbooks and so on. No matter what arguments Apple fans will ever invoke, a simple, drag and drop interface with an extended format support like Cowon's is so much better! And having both a Macbook Pro and a Windows Vaio Z series, the inability to syncronize my playlist with both laptops is so annoying (I'm sure some of you know that, with Itunes and Ipods, it's either, or - Mac or Windows, not both at the same time; once you format your Ipod for Mac, you can no longer use it with Windows unless you re-format it and vice-versa).
Which is why I'm so fed up and reluctant at buying another Ipod, although the new Classic is simply better than my 2008 model and has much to offer for roughly the same price - larger capacity, better SQ and so on.
Oh, and regarding the Wadia Itransport and comparisons with high end players - spare me. I've just sold mine, together with the VDC 9.0 CI Audio power supply. I have a Naim CDX2 and a Lavry DA10. Wadia & Ipod & Lavry playing ALAC files (ripped using a Plextor Premium at 1X speed) vs the original CDs on my Naim - no competition here. Not even close!

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #360 of 548
^ good to read I'm not the only one who notices the same with the 2k9
classic. For my musical tastes and 'phones selection it's a perfect fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back